• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Help Identify This 590 Please

Hello all. I hope I'm posting in the right place? I have scoured the internet looking for info on this 590, I am interested in purchasing. Seller says it came from factory this way. It is lightly used, and is asking $400. Please give me some of your wisdom. I cant find anything close anywhere that resembles that forend??
Thanks.

Attachments

• 5901 (640x480).jpg
    5901 (640x480).jpg
    220.9 KB · Views: 688
  • 5902 (480x640).jpg
    5902 (480x640).jpg
    218.8 KB · Views: 688
  • 5903 (640x480).jpg
    5903 (640x480).jpg
    232 KB · Views: 688
Re: Please Help Identify This 590 Please

Welcome aboard!

Ask the guy which factory he's talkin about, 'cause I don't think that forend came from Mossberg. Looks to me like a model 50665, but with an aftermarket forend. That model should come with a factory heat shield and a standard poly police style "corn cobb" forend.

Just my $.02 but I'd pass on that one, especially since you can get a brand new 590 in actual factory confiuration for around $450...

Thanks a bunch for your insight. I kinda smelled something funny when I couldnt find a single image anywhere on the internet. 1 more question.....Granted its hard to tell actual condition, but assuming its decent, supposedly fired "twice" and given the fact its missing the heat shield. Also it has the standard blue finish opposed to the matte. What would you pay while being content you got a decent deal?
Thanks again.
Ken

That appears to be an older 590. Obviously the forend is aftermarket and it is possible it could have come from the factory with out a shield but he is right. For that type of money I'd look for a NIB if possible.

marine0311 said:
What would you pay while being content you got a decent deal?
Thanks again.
Ken

Judging by pics only, especially the first one you posted, that weapon has been fired WAY more than twice. The discoloration around the bayonet lug and other places on the barrel are signs of regular use. Not sure if you know this seller or not, but I'm always skeptical when folks tell me how many rounds have been fired through a weapon they're trying to sell me. All that said, even if the weapon is in good working order I think the seller is asking about $100 too much...

I do not know the seller, but he apparently has a pretty big shovel, and knows how to use it!!! If you catch my drift.....
Thanks again for your input, it is much appreciated. I'm all for the guy trying to get top value for his stuff, but not too pleased with him for lying in attempt to get more than its worth.
I would have been none to pleased if I found this stuff out after the purchase!! You saved me a big headache.
Thanks again.

No problem.

You never know. This guy might have been duped by a seedy gun shop that sold him something under the false pretense that it was factory new. Either way, I'm glad you found us before committing to the purchase. We hope you stick around and keep us posted as you continue your search...

I've seen that flashlight forend before, and I have reason to believe it is indeed factory equipment.

I believe it was originally intended to hold standard halogen-bulb Maglites, back in the late 80's / early 90's.

Anybody ever seen the 1993 movie 'Hard Target' ?

Mgc2cJl.jpg

ohvfP2c.jpg

I think there's two possibilities here

1. It is indeed an OEM Mossberg forend, albeit an antiquated one
2. The armorer on the set of Hard Target installed the same aftermarket forend on the prop gun

Either way, that gun has definitely seen many rounds, given the discoloration around that bayonet lug.

What also strikes me as, if nothing else, inconsistent with the sellers claims - is that antiquated forend being paired with a relatively new (by comparison) SpeedFeed buttstock.

If you do indeed decide to purchase that shotgun (hopefully at a better price) - I would be VERY interested in buying that forend from you - simply because I loved that movie.

Thanks a million for the info, it is much appreciated. I did end up passing on it. Learned a bunch from you all, glad I found this site.

TheJackal said:
I've seen that flashlight forend before, and I have reason to believe it is indeed factory equipment.

I wish I had your attention to detail. I cant remember what passed through my eyeballs yesterday, let alone 20 years ago!!

marine0311 said:
TheJackal said:

I wish I had your attention to detail. I cant remember what passed through my eyeballs yesterday, let alone 20 years ago!!

My thoughts exactly!

Actually I have 1 more question being it is obvious you all know firearms very well....
I ended up picking up a NIB Model 500 50577 simply because I couldn't pass up a $299 sale at Big 5. For Los Angeles County in good ole California it seemed like a pretty good deal.
I have experience with the 590A1 from my "Security Forces" days during my tenure with the Corps, and loved it! Took alot of abuse and didn't see any problems what so ever. From what I read the 500 isnt all that different in terms of reliability and internal parts. I will replace the safety with the metal just because Id feel better about it. Im content with the poly trigger guard, and no shield. But being a "Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it kind of guy" what internal parts would you all have on hand just in case? I dont mean going over board with spare barrel, and trigger guards but little stuff like mag springs, firing pins etc.
Thanks again

marine0311 said:
Actually I have 1 more question being it is obvious you all know firearms very well....
I ended up picking up a NIB Model 500 50577 simply because I couldn't pass up a $299 sale at Big 5. For Los Angeles County in good ole California it seemed like a pretty good deal.
I have experience with the 590A1 from my "Security Forces" days during my tenure with the Corps, and loved it! Took alot of abuse and didn't see any problems what so ever. From what I read the 500 isnt all that different in terms of reliability and internal parts. I will replace the safety with the metal just because Id feel better about it. Im content with the poly trigger guard, and no shield. But being a "Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it kind of guy" what internal parts would you all have on hand just in case? I dont mean going over board with spare barrel, and trigger guards but little stuff like mag springs, firing pins etc.
Thanks again

Congrats on your new Mossy. That's a nice persuader you picked up at a good price.
As far as spare parts,,I would clean it good. Take it out and put a few boxes of shells through it. Hopefully you won't have any problems and go from there. No need to buy anything ahead of time.

You get a chance post a pic or two. :D

,,,oh yea..

Attachments

• TY flag.jpg
    TY flag.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 438
Sounds good. That 8 shot 500 should serve you well. For 3 bills NIB that is about right for that particular model. Especially in Komifornia where everything is usually overpriced.

You did good.

If the seller of that other gun ever decides to accept less you still might want to consider that one as well.

GREAT eye Jackal!

TheJackal said:
- I would be VERY interested in buying that forend from you - simply because I loved that movie.

That's the best reason I've ever read around here... :lol:

marine0311 said:
But being a "Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it kind of guy" what internal parts would you all have on hand just in case? I dont mean going over board with spare barrel, and trigger guards but little stuff like mag springs, firing pins etc.
Thanks again

Springs, firing pins, etc. are always a good idea.

The 500 internals are pretty simple with the exception of the trigger group. I'd rather replace the whole thing rather than trying to rebuild one... :twisted:

Update on the new 500 purchase. I ended up putting a factory pistol grip on it because wife says its easier for her to maneuver. I personally cant stand the look, but its okay.... I also bought a Remington 870 express tactical. We took them both out today, and the Mossberg was flawless. Quite a bite with the pistol grip though!!!! The 870 on the other hand is a piece of garbage.....Every other spend shell round got stuck in the chamber failing to eject. Come to find out its very common... IRRITATED!!
Should have bought 2 500's!!!

TheJackal said:
If you do indeed decide to purchase that shotgun (hopefully at a better price) - I would be VERY interested in buying that forend from you - simply because I loved that movie.

I got this fella with the 590 down to 200 cash, and $150 worth of my labor towards his vehicle repair. Basically, he buys the parts and I give up about an hour of my time.

Also, I did see the weapon. The pic he sent me which is posted here does show discoloring around the bayonet lug, but while inspecting I did not see it. Must have been the lighting, or he cold blued it after I brought it up!! Looks to be in great condition though.

Seller is going to let me know in a few days, or come back with a counter offer. But hey Jakal, if I end up with this 590 the forend is yours, no charge.
I would have "back of the closet-ed" and ordered a speedfeed for it anyway...

Will let you know..

Back