• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

help new buyer, have questions.

excaliber

Copper BB
Hello, New to the forum, and I want to buy the right shotgun the 1st time. I want a mossberg 500, 12 gauge, that holds 8 rounds, for home defense, and I also want an extra barrel that is longer than the standard 20 inch, so I want to be able to switch between the 20 inch and 26 inch or 24 inch barrels.
so I have a short 20 inch gun for home defense and longer barrel for hunting in an end of civilization scenario.

Are there any specifics i need to look for so I can have this option? specific model of gun? options to look for etc? thanks in advance.

Welcome aboard Sir,

That's gonna be a bit of a problem. The 20" barrels use the 7 round mag tubes, but the longer field barrels use 5 round tubes. You could accomplish what you're trying to do, but it would require swapping out mag tubes and springs every time as well.

The 18.5" security barrels use the same mag tube and spring as the longer field barrels, so this would only require a simple barrel swap...

thanks for the info, is this right? so my choices are

1. 3 round less capacity but only requires a barrel change.

2. 8 round capacity but I have to change tube, barrel, spring etc.

Is option 2 difficult to do, special tools required? I dont plan on changing them out but once in a great while.

is there a better shotgun platform to have this setup?

excaliber said:
thanks for the info,

You're welcome Sir.

excaliber said:
is this right? so my choices are

1. 3 round less capacity but only requires a barrel change.

2. 8 round capacity but I have to change tube, barrel, spring etc.

Is option 2 difficult to do, special tools required? I dont plan on changing them out but once in a great while.

Yes that's correct.

It's not really hard to change out the tube and spring, but is a lot of hassle to go through for only two extra rounds in capacity. Guess it's not that big a deal if you're not planning on changing it out very often.

excaliber said:
is there a better shotgun platform to have this setup?

The barrel lug that supports the mag tube is in the same spot on all of Mossberg's 20" barrels, no matter what the model. It's the same situation with the 590, but it uses a different mag tube cap that'll accept tube extensions. You could go with an 18.5" 590a1 that will accept a +2 mag extension as well as the longer 835 field barrels. This would essentially accomplish your goal without having to change out the entire mag tube between barrels. You would still likely need a longer spring for use with the mag extension though...

All of the standard 590 models have 20" barrels.

You'd have to go with the 590 A1 for the 18.5" barrel/ 5rd mag tube configuration...

#51411 590A1 6-Shot

This model will accept a thread-on mag tube extension as well as the longer 835 field barrels...

LES is correct and has you goin the right direction! Though I'm certain I've seen 590s in 18 1/2", or am I dreamin?

On the extensions, they should come with a longer spring.

So I'll second the notion of goin with the 590(A1) in 18 1/2" and pickin up an 835 barrel, or go with the 835 and get a 590 18 1/2" barrel... either way you can use an extension like the Nordic (my first choice) or Choate.

Rossignol said:
Though I'm certain I've seen 590s in 18 1/2", or am I dreamin?

That's what I thought at first too, but show me an 18.5" non-A1 590. I couldn't find one...

Although Gander Mtn. doesn't list the Mossberg model number, the details suggest that this is a model #51411, an 18.5" 590a1...

Mossberg 590 Law-Enforcement Shotgun

The 590a1 has been marketed to LEO since its introduction...

Product Description

The Mossberg 590 shotgun is the pump-action shotgun you can count on. They have the credentials and track record to prove it. The Mossberg military 590 model is the only pump action shotgun ever to pass all stringent U.S. Military MilSpec-3443 standards. Features include a parkerized finish, an extended magazine, a 3" chamber, and a thumb safety.

Point of fact is that the 590a1 is the only Mossberg to have passed the 3443 specs. Looks like Gander Mtn. needs to correct their item description...

LES has you headed in the right direction.

But here's my 2¢………………by the time you buy a longer barrel, mag tube, spring and follower you aren't that far off from the cost of another shotty and probably even with what you can find a used one for. May as well pick up the second gun.

When buying my 590SP, which is my first shotgun, (primarily for HD) I thought the same thing that I could swap barrels. Like Tim4k5 said I came to the conclusion that I would either buy 2 guns or buy the Flex system.

Sent from my LG-E970 using Tapatalk 2

If you are looking for a quick barrel swap option, this may be right for you:

http://www.impactguns.com/product.aspx?zpid=25812

I bought this because I was in a similar situation. I wanted to be able to swap barrels without buying an extra gun or spending the extra money for an extra barrel. You lose the extra capacity you want, I think this holds 5 or 6 plus 1 (I can't remember exactly, I am pretty sure it is 5 though).

I am very happy with it and the extra barrel is easy to swap. I am glad I went this route instead of spending the extra money. I hope this helps!

Back