• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

help stop the vicious cycle.

kurtis

Ive been wanting to build a 14 inch SBS with a raptor grip for some time. I know I can do it legally if its a pg shotgun from the factory but I have a feeling that if for some odd reason I run into the police it would be a hassle explaining to them how I have a non ATF weapon on me.

Is there any advantage to a 14 inch barrel vs my 18.5 inch model for home defense? Or is it just a cool factor thing? While my 18 inch with a shoulder stock is mounted on my wall I tend to grab for the pistol when things go bump in the night. Im not sure if its because I believe the shotgun is to big or I need a reason to get a 14 inch one lol.

What would you guys recommend? Im thinking just putting a raptor grip on mine for a more compact package or just sucking it up and building a non atf 14 inch one.

First, if you've got in your head that you "need" the 14" then nothing anyone here can say will change your mind :D

I thought about the 14" with the raptor grip long and hard myself, almost clicked "add to cart" on the 14" front end package a few times, but decided to pass. The 18 1/2" barrel 500 with the Mossberg pistol grip is 28" overall - all of an inch and a half longer than the 14" set up. It's also much cheaper and won't raise any concerns (warranted or not) with the powers that be. From a practical / shooting standpoint I doubt you would notice any difference between the two (or a seven shot mag w/a 20" barrel & pistol grip for that matter).

All that said, the 14" is pretty cool and I reserve the right to reverse my decision and get one sometime should it strike my fancy, so if you want one go for it but I don't think you'll see any practical benefit over the 18 1/2".

First, if you've got in your head that you "need" the 14" then nothing anyone here can say will change your mind :D

I thought about the 14" with the raptor grip long and hard myself, almost clicked "add to cart" on the 14" front end package a few times, but decided to pass. The 18 1/2" barrel 500 with the Mossberg pistol grip is 28" overall - all of an inch and a half longer than the 14" set up. It's also much cheaper and won't raise any concerns (warranted or not) with the powers that be. From a practical / shooting standpoint I doubt you would notice any difference between the two (or a seven shot mag w/a 20" barrel & pistol grip for that matter).

All that said, the 14" is pretty cool and I reserve the right to reverse my decision and get one sometime should it strike my fancy, so if you want one go for it but I don't think you'll see any practical benefit over the 18 1/2".
And thats a main concern with authorities even though I've never been in trouble in my life a basic traffic stop could lead to him asking if theres any weapons and id be stuck with explaining the whole thing. I was going to go the 100% no grey area route with a AOW moss berg factory 14 inch, but I move a lot being in the military so that was out of the question. Especially for the fact the main place they move us is new York, Hawaii, and Oregon all places who seem to not like glass 3 items.

Your point makes sense about the over all length from a 14 inch compared to an 18inch with a pistol grip but those pistol grips are not fun to shoot at all. I can shoot a bird head grip all day with no issues.

Your point makes sense about the over all length from a 14 inch compared to an 18inch with a pistol grip but those pistol grips are not fun to shoot at all. I can shoot a bird head grip all day with no issues.

The fact that you prefer the birdshead grip is certainly a valid concern, I have no issue shooting the Mossy pistol type grip so that did not factor into my equation. Still, even if the 18 1/2 with the birdshead is somewhat longer it might still be the way to go, particularly in your situation of not knowing what the laws are where you might get sent next.

Do a quick YouTube search of hand to hand combat with a shotgun. Then ask yourself if you still think you need a pistol grip and short barrel. After learning a solid thrust, chop, and buttstroke i went from a tactical grip setup back to traditional. Granted if you have a shotgun then there should be no need for hand to hand. But....... knowledge and training is a weapon in itself.

Do a quick YouTube search of hand to hand combat with a shotgun. Then ask yourself if you still think you need a pistol grip and short barrel. After learning a solid thrust, chop, and buttstroke i went from a tactical grip setup back to traditional. Granted if you have a shotgun then there should be no need for hand to hand. But....... knowledge and training is a weapon in itself.
ill look that up. For now i live in a pretty small place with narrow hallways. The plan if there is an intruder wich the place i live in is somewhat known for. I will take the pistol to grab the kid who is in the bedroom next to ours and head back to my room where my wife and kid can hide while I get a defensive position with the shotgun. I don't think it would be very wise to clear my house once i have my wife and kid in a safe spot. Id rather hold out in a room with the door locked than potentially get myself killed and let them get to my significant other.

Now other situations could play out and thrust, chop and buttstroke might come into play.

Understandable. Make sure to practice shooting close range, and off the hip if possible with the pistol grip. Any load is going to hold a slug tight pattern at room distance. Ive found from my own shooting that its easier to miss than you realise

I don't think it would be very wise to clear my house once i have my wife and kid in a safe spot. Id rather hold out in a room with the door locked than potentially get myself killed and let them get to my significant other.

A wise plan, defending a static position with a shotgun would seem to be making the best of a very bad situation in the event of home invaders. My thoughts are to practice with what you decide to go with and have a good light (I like lights mounted on the shotgun but you may feel differently).

A wise plan, defending a static position with a shotgun would seem to be making the best of a very bad situation in the event of home invaders. My thoughts are to practice with what you decide to go with and have a good light (I like lights mounted on the shotgun but you may feel differently).
I keep a light separate on the pistol so i don't have to flag family members to see who they are, but once there in the room a shotgun mounted light would be nice.

I hear a noise in my house, I'm clearing it.

I understand the "static" position concept and I'm not going to say that's wrong, but I wasn't wired that way. I'm going in.

The only part of my house that I HATE clearing is going down the stairs into the basement. I am too exposed and vulnerable there.

Well the 590 AOW sold so now I'm thinking of different options. Even though the 14 inch POG is legal with a raptor grip I still feel uneasy about it. If i were to take my current 500 and do the paperwork and cut it down, would I ever be able to swap it back to an 18.5 inch barrel in case the state I move to doesn't allow Sawn offs?

hmmm...Now I'm re-evaluating my ideas for a short coach gun.

Chances of me hearing anything before the dogs is slim. They're gonna have someone cornered or be shot before I could get there.
My female dog is one nasty girl. She wakes me up all the time for doors moving because of the pressure from the ac moving the door.
Our house is strange the bedroom hall has a door to shut it off from the rest of the house and we sleep with that door shut. So if someone comes in they will need to get through her first.

In the military we are trained to clear rooms/houses but in the scenario where my kid and wife are involved id rather take up a defensive position and a force between the bad guy and my family.

Our house is a little bit strange in that the first floor (living room, dining room and kitchen) is one open space of 1200+ sq.ft. .
access to the first floor is by an open spiral staircase. One of my mossbergs is a 500A with pistol grip and 18.5" barrel, but it is still difficult to navigate the trip downstairs. I think a 14" barrel would help. My wife would remain upstairs with a handgun ready to call 911 if things went south.

Back