• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Help with identifying my 500a

I recently picked up this shotgun. As far as I can tell, it seems to be a mixture of parts because it doesn't seem to match any factory configuration that i can find.

That the stock was replaced with the Butler Creek folder is the only obvious modification.

The barrel does not appear to be threaded for a choke, nor can a find any markings to indicate if the barrel has any constriction built into it.

And the rear sight is confusing to me. Why would someone want it to fold? Further, it doesn't seem to match with the front sight. Intuitively, I would assume that rear sight would be paired with a bead in the front.

Any help would be appreciated. I'm trying to figure out what I've got.
07fd9b336b5de98f405b56ca9fb4097d.jpg
b37d7f41ab80148a71cf726710688853.jpg
d56107e8743384a4caa1fe5da7c35301.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

The sights might be aftermarket--are they soldered or glued? Look in the muzzle end and see if there is a hole where a bead sight once lived... 20" barrel, correct? You could add a wood stock and make yourself a "riot" gun. I DO like the folding stock--don't see too many of them mounted...

Are there any numbers on the left side of the receiver?
Are there one or two arms on the action slide?
How many shells does the mag tube hold?
Does the firing pin have a spring or free floating?

Nice looking gun, and unique. If I understand correctly, rifled slugs are appropriate for a smooth bore barrel. I have an 870 Remington set up like that. Well almost, it has the original stock.

Are there any numbers on the left side of the receiver?
Are there one or two arms on the action slide?
How many shells does the mag tube hold?
Does the firing pin have a spring or free floating?
-J825272
-two arms
-mag tube holds 7
-i am unsure how to check the firing pin for this

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I can tell you from the serial number it was made in 1986.
Look's like an older persuader and like Bobster said the stock was changed and the sights were added.
Nice Mossy!

Back