• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Help with Removing Tactical AR-Style Stock

doitda

Copper BB
Hey guys.
Just got my new 590A1 a few weeks ago.
It's the model, 51670.
I ordered a few add on parts and am trying to take out the trigger group, but the tactical stock is in the way.
I took off the pistol grip by removing the flathead screw, but can't seem to figure out what loosens the stock from the receiver next :(

There is a large ring on the threads at the back of the receiving where the buttstock meets the receiver and this is already loosened also.

Any ideas?
I called Mossberg today and the guy on the phone told me that I only needed to remove the flathead screw inside the pistol grip and the rest should come off, but I don't think that was right.

Attaching a picture.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Chris

Attachments

• CameraZOOM-20130516195642569.gif
    CameraZOOM-20130516195642569.gif
    127.2 KB · Views: 175
Interesting…..you appear to have a “buffer tube “ set up……so now that the castle nut is loose , the tube won’t budge turning it counter clockwise ?

I have never seen a stock Mossberg like this.....I have seen aftermarket adaptors meant to take any AR stock similar to what you have there......without being able to hold it, I would concentrate on removing the tube....has to come out or they wouldn’t have put a castle nut on there...

I bet there is a bolt behind that tube holding the adaptor to the receiver.......what you have there is some sort of adaptor that allows AR grip and butt stock options

With the pistol grip screw removed it should now separate from the receiver.

Mossberg may have used some sort of locking compound to secure the adapter, so it might take a little light tapping with a mallet to knock it loose...

Don’t listen to these armatures :p ……take off the tube and I bet there is a bolt

oli700 said:
Don’t listen to these armatures :p ……take off the tube and I bet there is a bolt

what kind of lawn mower is it? :p

old mossy said:
oli700 said:

what kind of lawn mower is it? :p
electric ? Armature...amateur, whatever, we were talking about you not me anyway :|

Got it! At least so far...

On those threads of the buffer tube, at the six o'clock position is a tiny hole for an allen wrench.
I was able to take out the allen screw and then screw off the buffer tube from the adapter/receiver.

Now I have to take off the adapter from the receiver and that adapter needs a strong, huge flathead.
I slipped once with the biggest flathead I have and am deciding to go to Home Depot tomorrow to buy a bigger flathead.
That adapter/receiver screw is on super tight.

Attachments

• CameraZOOM-20130516215243680.gif
    CameraZOOM-20130516215243680.gif
    118.7 KB · Views: 147
  • CameraZOOM-20130516215316910.gif
    CameraZOOM-20130516215316910.gif
    77.4 KB · Views: 147
Nice.

The threads are usually coated with Loctite, so you might try putting the screwdriver in place and tapping on it with a mallet to loosen up the bond...

But if that doesn’t work , before the screw becomes deformed make sure to stop, apply heat....blow drier should work. Hold it on for a while then try again. If you bugger up that slot you will be sorry

Are you planning on re-installing the stock?

If not, I have a friend who may be interested in buying that one from you. He's been looking for one that he can put regular AR grips on.

I plan to put the stock back on.
Just got a big honkin Husky 3/8" by 12" screwdriver from HD.

Gonna hair dryer it first, tap a few times, then apply some torque with this Husky.

Back