• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Help with the Magpul furniture

paivacy

Copper BB
Hey all, got a question that I'm searching to find an answer to.

First off I've got a Mossberg 500(I believe its the persuader/cruiser combo) that's the 5+1 short mag tubeversion with the sealed end that prevents from extending the tube. I'm trying to add the Magpulforend and am running into some trouble. My shotgun came with the cheapo newer version of an action slide tubethat was built into the stock forend. Its the all plastic checkered forend type.

I bought the required 7 5/8" action slide tubeto replace the one I've got, along with the Magpulparts. Have been able to get the barrel separated from the stock and action, and have replaced everything according to specs. I can get the gun put back together and passes a function test, until I try and reinstall the barrel. Its almost as if the barrel is too big to fit back on top of the magpulparts. I can't get the barrel to even line up properly to re-install unless I have the pump as far out as possible. Then, I can only get the gun to rack maybe 1/4" before it gets "stuck". Am I missing something here? Or did I install incorrectly? I'm a bit stumped as everything works until the barrel gets re-installed.

Thanks in advance for your help.

-CP

Pictures of where you are in the re-assembly would help us help you...

Okay, so I did get her back together and functions properly...sorta. I'm getting some serious friction between the barrel and the new action slide tube. I'm able to rack the slide, but its almost impossible to return it to battery with one hand. There is definitely contact on the flat surface of the underside of the barrel that I've got some photos of, its to the point that seems to be down to the bare metal through the finish. Any ideas? I've got some photos of the re-assembly if those would help too.

What happens if you take the furniture off the action slide tube and reassemble and check for function?

What happens if you take the furniture off the action slide tube and reassemble and check for function?

Got the same reaction. I'm sending the part back and will hopefully get one that will work. Had originally bought the ProMag version as the OEM part I couldn't find from Mossberg. Just going to wait it out until the new OEM comes in from Brownells.

I don't know about the 500 with the slide rails as part of the fore end, but if it is using the same dimension mag tube as the similarly designed 88 there is a better than good chance that the older style 500 hardware will not fit. This is a common complaint that it is too tight and rubs terribly.

Ok. I was hoping that would determine if it was the magazine tube or furniture and that answers the question.

Havlin sales often has those action slide tubes as well.
havlinsales.com

I don't know about the 500 with the slide rails as part of the fore end, but if it is using the same dimension mag tube as the similarly designed 88 there is a better than good chance that the older style 500 hardware will not fit. This is a common complaint that it is too tight and rubs terribly.

This is interesting. I haven't heard this before.

I just bought an 88 from a buddy and wanted to tear it down I found more than one reference to it including mention on this video. Check out the comment at 7 minutes 21 seconds. This was not the only reference I found of this.

Interesting with the 88 and non-compatibility. Seems as if I'm running into something similar. I think I'm going to try the actual Mossberg part vs the 3rd party (ProMag), if that doesn't work then I might be upgrading to the 590. I've been toying with the idea anyways this just might be the kicker to make it happen.

As I said I do not know much about either shotgun, but for $120- I was not turning it down. When I saw your post I immediately remembered this.

I appreciate you mentioning it. I'm sure it will come in handy again.

Welp, I ditched that old parkerized 500 and bought myself something a little more....shiny! Was able to find a 500 in the 8+1 variety that fits the job description. And as a bonus, the action tube slide was the right length for me to add the Magpul furniture without any modification.
Out the door for less than $375 locally in NC (Mossberg #50580). Here she is...

I installed Magpul forend and stock. I purchased the action slide tube OEM version from Midway. I went together just fine and works and looks great. I followed a couple of Utube videos for the installation. I did not want to use the Promag version because of reviews I read about it. Stick with OEM slide tube.

I discovered that when I went to disassemble my 500 for cleaning, I could not get the trigger mech out. The Magpul stock interferes so it has to be loosen not taken off so that the trigger can be removed.

Back