• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Help!!!

So I Efffed up and couldn't wait. Long story short I used a pair of vise grip, yea vise grip [emoji849]and tried to loosen my mag tube for my 500. Bent the tube and now the spring and follower is stuck. Sigh so now I'm trying to fix it if you can find fix it. ARGHHHH

THANKS [emoji120]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think you're gonna need a new magazine tube.

I don't know that I've heard of anyone bending one and then being able to fix it.

Yup ya need a new one.

Give Havlin (636) 937-6401 a call.

Did you get the mag tube out of the receiver? Once you do that drop me a line. I have a few extra used magazine tubes kicking around. You can have one. Standard 5 shell capacity?

This is very awesomely kind of you!

Until then it looks like you're in Single-Shotsville which could lead you up the road to Schitt's Creek where the dang dingies are always free but paddles are hard to come by.

I think you're gonna need a new magazine tube.

I don't know that I've heard of anyone bending one and then being able to fix it.
Well it crimped enough to get the follower n spring stuck. Oh well lesson learned thanks everyone

Take the tube off. You can still salvage the spring and follower. Send me your address and I'll send you another tube. Oh, yeah, no vice grips. Strap wrench is the best tool for tube removal. Heat gun or hair dryer on high where the receiver meets the magazine tube threads until the Lock tite softens up enough to get the magazine tube out of the receiver. Butt stock between your boots with a strap wrench near the top of the tube for more torque and kill it. Re-heat, kill it again if necessary. For stubborn Lock tite I've found nail polish remover with acetone softens the bond if you let it soak in over a couple of hours.

Take the tube off. You can still salvage the spring and follower. Send me your address and I'll send you another tube. Oh, yeah, no vice grips. Strap wrench is the best tool for tube removal. Heat gun or hair dryer on high where the receiver meets the magazine tube threads until the Lock tite softens up enough to get the magazine tube out of the receiver. Butt stock between your boots with a strap wrench near the top of the tube for more torque and kill it. Re-heat, kill it again if necessary. For stubborn Lock tite I've found nail polish remover with acetone softens the bond if you let it soak in over a couple of hours.

Man as easy as it sounds. I've tried that. I heat the gun until you can smell or see the locktite melt. To the point my strap wrench is almost ripping. As of sending the mag tube, I really appreciate it. But wouldn't I need to buy or also get a shorter barrel?

You have the Hi-Cap tube with the 20" barrel? If it's your typical 5 shell tube I have you covered. Might need to put some nail polish remover with acetone into the threads and stand the shotgun upright for a while.

Guess I'm lucky with the hand-tight tube on my '99. Next time you have threads that won't give, try hitting them with an ultralight penetrating oil, or even a full-on solvent like Conn 500 suggested.

Last edited:
You know those gun stories about i had a "friend" or knew a "guy". Well i knew a guy who once put a dent in his mag tube with some pliers being impatient not using heat. Eventually heated up removed it and after some searching found a deepwell socket (cant remeber which) that was just perfect diameter to alide in tube. Drove that sucker thru an removed dent well enough to function fine. Depending on how bad the dent it may can be remedied. Sounds like you have an option of getting a good tube from another member though very kind gesture.
Just glad i never did that. Wink

You know those gun stories about i had a "friend" or knew a "guy". Well i knew a guy who once put a dent in his mag tube with some pliers being impatient not using heat. Eventually heated up removed it and after some searching found a deepwell socket (cant remeber which) that was just perfect diameter to alide in tube. Drove that sucker thru an removed dent well enough to function fine. Depending on how bad the dent it may can be remedied. Sounds like you have an option of getting a good tube from another member though very kind gesture.
Just glad i never did that. Wink
That's what I'm thinking of doing but didn't know if it's possible. To put a smaller tube in and get the tube corrected. So it's possible huh.

Anyways thank you everyone for your input. I've been itching to get out and shoot so I bought another Mag Tube and upgrade my springs from Wolff. Now to get this sucker off the 500

Patients, my friend. Nothing sounds better than that crack when the Loctite breaks and your magazine tube squeaks off from hand turning.

My mag tube had red loctite on it from the factory. It was 30+ years old and still wouldn't budge with a strap wrench. My heat gun wasn't doing the trick, and I didn't want to pawn the problem off onto my cerakote guy.

This sounds crazy but it worked like a champ for me. Strip it down to the receiver and mag tube (my ATP-8 has a captive action slide tube, so it can't be removed without first removing the mag tube). Put it over a burner on your stove. You'll see a puff of smoke and smell the loctite start to boil off. The mag tube will spin off easily by hand. Use oven mitts.
rNVIUcC.jpg

6aSfahD.jpg

My mag tube had red loctite on it from the factory. It was 30+ years old and still wouldn't budge with a strap wrench. My heat gun wasn't doing the trick, and I didn't want to pawn the problem off onto my cerakote guy.

This sounds crazy but it worked like a champ for me. Strip it down to the receiver and mag tube (my ATP-8 has a captive action slide tube, so it can't be removed without first removing the mag tube). Put it over a burner on your stove. You'll see a puff of smoke and smell the loctite start to boil off. The mag tube will spin off easily by hand. Use oven mitts.
rNVIUcC.jpg

6aSfahD.jpg

SOB that thing worked like a charm. I tried everything and putting the tube over low heat works. Was able to take the tube off with my bare hands (with gloves of course) no problem.

Now my other question is does the tube come with the mag plug dowel? I took the spring and follower but no dowel to be found.

SOB that thing worked like a charm. I tried everything and putting the tube over low heat works. Was able to take the tube off with my bare hands (with gloves of course) no problem.

Now my other question is does the tube come with the mag plug dowel? I took the spring and follower but no dowel to be found.

Glad to hear it worked for you. I can't take credit for the brains behind that trick. I learned it from someone else right here on this forum. I can't help you with the plug dowel question. I've never purchased one or used one. Pretty sure those are separate items and it's on you to purchase separately. Hunting laws and mag capacities can vary from state to state, as well as the type of animal you're hunting.

Glad to hear it worked for you. I can't take credit for the brains behind that trick. I learned it from someone else right here on this forum. I can't help you with the plug dowel question. I've never purchased one or used one. Pretty sure those are separate items and it's on you to purchase separately. Hunting laws and mag capacities can vary from state to state, as well as the type of animal you're hunting.

This forum has helped me out. Well the reason I asked is because I don't know if my gun came with the dowel or not. The other reason is for legal purpose. I mean I'm not going hunting anytime soon. It's more for HD, trap, skeet, and the range. Thanks

This forum has helped me out. Well the reason I asked is because I don't know if my gun came with the dowel or not. The other reason is for legal purpose. I mean I'm not going hunting anytime soon. It's more for HD, trap, skeet, and the range. Thanks

Do yourself a favor and skip the loctite on your new mag tube. Your M500's barrel nut screws into the end of the mag tube, making it impossible for the mag tube to loosen at the receiver end. Maybe if you're paranoid, just a tiny little dab of Blue loctite on your mag tube's threads. But it's really not necessary. And I'm saying that as a guy that uses loctite like it's holy water.

If you run without loctite, just get in the habit of hand-checking the torque on the mag tube when you take the barrel off for cleaning. "1 grunt" worth of torque is all you need. That's helped me to keep my thread locker OCD at bay.

Last edited:
Back