• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Helped A Friend

LTB45

.30-06
Rest in Peace
Supporter
A couple of weeks ago an old friend asked me about finding a good used 500 for his 19yo son for a Christmas gift.
I told him there was one I had been following on Gunbroker and if he could get it, bought and shipped, for under $200 it should serve his son well.

He won it for $198 total with shipping.

Today he asked me over to show his son how to take it down and put it back together.
For a used gun it was in great shape!
While disassembling I noticed that the stock needed to be removed to get the trigger out.
My first thought was to add more washers to the stock bolt since it is probably in to far and wedging up against the trigger group.

That was not the problem. The wood on the stock around the end of the trigger group was actually coming over the top of the trigger and snugging it in.

Told my friend to get me his Dremel tool and I would fix that. Ground off a bit of the extra wood and in a couple of minutes the stock could stay on and the trigger group could still be removed.

It really was a good thing that he asked me to go over it with his son, otherwise the kid may have spent the rest of his life taking the stock off that 500 to remove the trigger.

The gun was in such good shape and probably shot so little that I figure the original owner never took it apart to clean it.

Good Deed Done for the Day :)

I have seen stocks being made at the Mossberg factory.
They are produced on a machine that does each cut on 5 stocks at a time.
Definitely plenty of room for error on a small tolerance measurement.
Such a simple fix.
More often than not, I would bet, that any newbie would probably never take a dremel tool to the stock of his new or even new to him gun.
Owning 4 500's that get shot, I cannot imagine having to remove the stock on them to drop the trigger group.

Really I am just glad that I could help the kid out and hopefully make another Mossberg FAN out of him.

Well done LTB.

Making their first experience a positive one rather than a exercise in frustration will make their experience more enjoyable and is a win for everyone.

Back