• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Here are a few pics of one of my AR15 rifles

nitesite

Average Guy
"Philanthropist"
Hello.

So I have this job-related need to tote around an AR carbine. Actually, in addition to the carbine I also tote an M1A and a 590 shotgun and a couple handguns. It gets a bit cumbersome most of the time, let me assure you. Thank god for in-vehicle carry and not over-the-shoulder carry.... <grin>

I took a few photos to show you what I've done with my "base" carbine to make it more individualized for my tastes. Keep in mind that I am in no way endorsing what brands or products are shown here. Several other really good doo-dads have been field tested and cast off, and this is what I am left with and what I have stayed with in order to train and stay familiar with my carbines controls. I have tried to keep things as simple as I could, but obviously I failed because if I was going for simple I would have a very basic rifle/carbine with nothing added.

My carbine was born as a 16" A3 flat-top with a foliage green pistol grip and telescoping stock and round carbine-length handguards. And here it is after some field evaluations and mods.

I replaced the handguards for some Magpul MOEs. And added a Magpul left-side MOE picatinney mount for a Streamlight TLR-1. I tried the high-output TLRs and they were actually too bright at normal distances. I hate tape and pressure switches and their cords and limited accessability from only the hand it was set up for. This setup allows me a comfortable grip on the handguard with either my left or right support hand giving me momentary or constant switching using a simple tap on the toggle. And any shadow cast by the weapon light is downward (GOOD). Upward shadows are (BAD) ju-ju.

For sights I have an F-marked A-2 FSB and an EoTech XPS holo sight with a GG&G rear BUIS. Oli700 maybe turned me on to the GG&G quality and robustness and repeatable clicks that their sight provides. Or perhaps he didn't. We may never know....

I also traded out the small EoTech mounting screw for a YHM oversized thumb knob screw, which allows me to detach the EoTech in a couple seconds if something really has gone wrong with that accessory.

I tried desparately to get a good photo of the absolute co-witness of the EoTech reticle and the irons but I screwed this pic up...

You can see on the lower reciever that I have a single point QD sling attachment courtesy of Noveske, and Magpul MS3 QD Sling, and also a Magpul B.A.D. Lever.

I like the B.A.D. Lever because it just plain works for both right- and left-hand shooters and if the damn thing breaks nothing is lost because the original OEM bolt-stop is still there and is unaffected. Reloads with a B.A.D. Lever are very much improved and clearing malfs by locking the bolt back is just easy-peasy.

The MS3 QD Sling transitions from a single point attachment which is great for shooting on-the-go...

... to a two-point sling for climbing and handcuffing and weapon security in about two seconds. This 2-point allows me to do an over-the-shoulder carry which looks less intimidating if choose to do that. I use a GI front sling mount for its greater width to attach the clip under stress, rather than the small rings I have tried and found I had to "hit just right" to snap the clip into. It looks crude but the GI sling mount is much easier to clip on the go.

Going back to a single point connection takes a mere two seconds. The MS3 QD is a pretty good sling.

And last is something that many of you already have noticed: a Raptor charging handle. It is just amazing, and coupled with the B.A.D. Lever and the single point sling when shooting left-handed and dealing with failure drills and such the Raptor is really in line with what I wanted to accomplish.

So.....

My carbine has had plenty of stuff replaced but very little ( the TLR light and B.A.D. Lever) added so I didn't really add many ounces and I tried to keep it pretty simple from the standpoint of having a rifle that shoots left-handed as well as right-handed.

Damn.

I think this is the longest post I have ever done.

Sorry, guys.

Last edited:
Nice setup. I don't see anything I would call excessive, you pretty much have streamlined it to just the necessities. The BAD lever offers to much utility to leave it off. I really like the Raptor charging handle I may have to look into one of those. I'm a fan of the TLR-1 as well. Had I known about them when I set up my gun I probably would have used it (I still may upgrade)

I like the green/black color combination as well.

New Yorkers are really good people, unlike the New York State elected legislators and Governor. Strong men such as you must really struggle with why they are still living there.

I'm not struggling... I'm preparing to GTFO. Soon as my step son graduates HS.... I'm going to be on active search to free America. But enough about me.... Lets see that M1A

I like the way you have it set up. It's not overly cumbersome.

I've never used a bad lever, though I do have a troy ambidextrous mag release on mine that I can hit with my thumb on my left (support) hand so I can do a tactical reload without removing my trigger finger from the trigger in case I need to light that extra shot midway through a mag change.

As for weapon lighting, I feel much the same as you do. My light is actually not even a weapon light, but it works well for that. The main reason why I liked it is because of the AA batteries and the ability to use rechargables. I even have a small 6v solar panel that allows me to recharge batteries on demand.

But anything over about 150 lumens is just wasted in my humble opinion. Most of my weapon mounted lights are now Ray-O-Vac Indestructible light that has 100 lumens on high and I think 12 lumens on low for those times when you need to move without letting the whole world know where you are were my main reasons for choosing that light. It's actually built from aluminum, and is a lot better than the old polymer G2 Surefires I used to use.

And I don't like external cord switches either, but with the offset mount that I use, I place it so my support hand thumb can either click the light on for permanent on, or press it gently for momentary without engaging the clicker or for fast cycling between hi/lo lighting modes.

I also do not like weapon mounted strobes, although I do have one of them around here somewhere too, but is not good for anything besides maybe a fast breach, which isn't something I have a need for.

I do have a front grip because they reduce my acquisition speed with multiples. I know that everyone is different, but that's what works for me.

Pistol grips are subjective, I like the old school CAA G27 grip and am even running one of Magpuls' M93 Detachment 1 stocks that was one of the actual stocks that were submitted to SOPMOD for testing. (yeah, I'm really partial to that stock) and it was the very first collapsible buttstock they ever sold the morning after the AWB expired (yes, I even still have the invoice).

I've used many different freefloat forends over the years, but for now, it is sporting a Midwest Industries SS Gen 1 forend and seems to be just fine.

For irons, are also subjective, but on this gun has a rear gen 1 Magpul and front Midwest HK style and Eotech 502 (which was one of the early AA Bushnell Holosights that were only sold for a few months because they were selling faster than the Eotech 512 and the only difference was a lack of protective hood). I did have a 512 on the upper, but it has since been transferred to the SMG.

And again, like you, I have made a slight change to the charging handle by adding a Badger tac latch. I've never used the one you have, but have always wondered if they were better.

Though I am actually more particular about some of the internal specs of the gun.

The 11.5" barrel is chrome lined, as well as using a colts chrome lined bolt carrier/gas key. The buffer/recoil spring is an increased tension to ensure less bolt bounce/improved cycling/dwell, etc.

I do my own fire control honing and tuning and have a lightweight set of JP springs just because I often use the suppressed 22 upper on the lower because it's the only AR that I have that has tax exempt status because the lightweight springs are easier to cycle the subsonic rimfire rounds. Otherwise I would have installed standard springs and if it were getting a steady diet of steel cased hard primers would have standard or even heavy (7.62x39) springs in it.

People can say what they want, but there's a lot that goes into a tailor built defensive rifle.

sbrar003_zpsae1e9de3.jpg

My 590, G34 and AR are able to throw some light.

I tote two guns to work each day that don't have an attached light.

A Model 49 Bodyguard as a BUG, and the M1A "I Don't Phuck Around" rifle

so sexy.... I'm getting a M1 Garand for my daddy present next year.

Way cool long guns, like the light mount a lot.....Cool to see the Noveski, Jefferson State pride and joy.....too bad all us locals are too poor to run one lol

Would you have any exp with the TLR-1 HP ? ......the one with the big reflector.

Oli700 maybe turned me on to the GG&G quality and robustness and repeatable clicks that their sight provides. Or perhaps he didn't. We may never know.....
Oh we know....

Nice looking carbines fellas. Nitesite, every time you post a pic of that M1A I get uber jealous lol. Surprised you haven't populated that scout mount yet. I'd think an Aimpoint micro there would be ideal.

Nitesite, every time you post a pic of that M1A I get uber jealous lol. Surprised you haven't populated that scout mount yet. I'd think an Aimpoint micro there would be ideal.

I have done just that.

An Aimpoint Micro T-1.

Ouch... the price!!!! My wife will never know that it cost $700 (I hope). But whatta tough optic with a 5-year "always-on" battery. If she finds out that I also have a PRO and a CompM4S and a EoTech XPS2-2 she'll probably kill me. For real...

I'm also dismounting the Micro T-1 now and then and trying my Aimpoint CompM4S on the M1A; but doing that takes an already heavy rifle and adds 3/4 of a pound more.

Still, I really like having the CompM4S on it just so I can look like the actor who carried an M14 w/ an Aimpoint CompML2 in "Black Hawk Down". Nah. I am not that bad-ass. I'm just a poser. But it looks really cool.

BHDsniper2-2.jpg

<GRIN>

Last edited:
"So I have this job-related need to tote around an AR carbine. Actually, in addition to the carbine I also tote an M1A and a 590 shotgun and a couple handguns. It gets a bit cumbersome most of the time, let me assure you. Thank god for in-vehicle carry and not over-the-shoulder carry.... <grin>

I took a few photos to show you what I've done with my "base" carbine to make it more individualized for my tastes. Keep in mind that I am in no way endorsing what brands or products are shown here. Several other really good doo-dads have been field tested and cast off, and this is what I am left with and what I have stayed with in order to train and stay familiar with my carbines controls. I have tried to keep things as simple as I could, but obviously I failed because if I was going for simple I would have a very basic rifle/carbine with nothing added."

Who provided the AR (and other heaters)? Is it yours or the "company's"?

"Who provided the AR (and other heaters)? Is it yours or the "company's"?

Hello.

These are weapons owned entirely by me, with all the add-ons purchased out of my own pocket. I have not been compensated for their cost in any way whatsoever.

For my long guns I'm into an M4 Carbine with a CompM4S, a Dissipator with a PRO, an M1A with a T-1 Micro, and a 590: all mine, nothing issued or loaned.

They ought to make for a pretty fun group photo, along with my sidearms that I also own. Hell, I might even throw into the photo the flashlights that I rock...

I do have a G22 and a M500 that were issued to me, though. They are the only company-owned stuff I have. Well, other than an X-26 TASER.

<full disclosure: They are all Airsoft that I bought off of Amazon>

Only a real bad-ass would deny he was a bad-ass. Hehehehehehe ;-D
Not an ounce of mall ninja in Nitesite...only the real McCoy.;)

This is a great thread...thanks for sharing Nitesite. Are we going to get some reviews on the new sights?

Nightsite is so badass he attacks sharks when he smells blood in the water

Back