• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Hey from Kansas

Bryantp

Copper BB
Hello all,
Looking at Mossberg Shotgun for home defense. Hunted pheasants with 20 gauge as a younger fellow. Now turning to something bigger to protect wife and family. Looking at Mossberg 500 Flex but not sure if you can put a Knoxx adjustable with recoil reduction stock on this gun. All thoughts and suggestions welcome. I'm looking to learn.
Thanks

Howdy Bryantp and welcome to the club.
I am not familiar with the flex system but I'm sure someone here can answer your question.

Welcome aboard!

The Flex system uses an adapter in the rear of the receiver that makes it quick and easy to swap the stock out to OTHER MOSSBERG FLEX STOCKS. Switching to a Knoxx recoil stock would first require removing the Flex system from the weapon. The system is a great way for Mossberg to re-capture some of the dollars being spent on aftermarket parts, but unfortunately for the end user the system is only compatable with Mossberg Flex system parts. To anyone looking to add aftermarket upgrades, I would suggest finding a standard 500 without the Flex system.

We've got a great group of folks here on Mossberg Owners and the atmosphere is very laid back. The only thing we like better than discussing each other's guns is lookin at 'em, so be sure to post pics of your 500 when you bring one home. Take some time to look around and post up some pics of any other firearms you own in the various sub-forums. You'll find that we're into a lot more than just Mossberg around here. Let us know if you have any questions.

Enjoy the site!

- L.E.S.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LM1OIMPCCD0[/youtube]

Welcome to Mossberg Owners Forum! Thanks LES for clearing that up for Bryantp.

Welcome Aboard!
If you get a FLEX I'd love to hear your review of it and see some pictures!
They look like a neat concept!

Thanks for that definitive answer LES!
I had thought that was the case, but could not find it written on either the Mossberg or Blackhawk websites.

It only makes sense when you take into consideration the purpose for developing the proprietary Flex system.

Knowing I'm going to replace the stock with the Knoxx product and knowing Ghost Ring sites cannot be accommodated by the ShotLock system to secure the gun to the wall (a real limitation of the ShotLock product but none the less the only quick release system I can find to actually lock the gun securely from being tampered with), what 500 would you suggest with 18.5-20inch barrel, extended magazine, and forehand grip that can be replaced with tactical grip (Mossberg or Knoxx that comes with the stock)?

Thanks again for the great feedback guys.
pat

There are a few models that come with a factory tri-rail forearm. You can start with the models below and only have to change out the stock...

Model 50575 - 500 Persuader Tri-Rail 8 Shot 20"

...or the model 50421 - 500 Tactical Tri-Rail 6 Shot 18"

If you're looking for ghost ring sights...

model 50589 - 500 Tactical Tri-Rail 8 Shot 20" w/GRS

There are a few other model 500s that come with a factory tri-rai as well as several 590 or 590a1 models. If you plan on using the Knoxx forend, just make sure the model 500 you get has an action slide tube forend assembly vs. a pinned forend. That way you have the option to swith to pretty much any forend you'd like. If you want the full 8 shot capacity, you're going to want to stick with the 20" models. The mag tube design on the 500 does not allow for the addition of a tube extension to the shorter 5 shot tube on the 18" models. If you want an 18" model with the ability to add a tube extension you'll need to look for a model 590 or 590a1. The redesigned end caps on these models are made to accept most aftermarket mag extensions...

Once again thanks LES for a great answer to my question. I think these are great starting places for me. I really like the Ghost Ring Sites but I was planning on using the ShotLock system to mount the shotgun in the closet. It does not work with the Ghost Ring Sites.

Is anyone familiar with a similar system that allows quick release shotgun "solo vault" type security but can accommodate Ghost Ring Sites?

I know these sites are not necessary for close quarters home defense; however I like the flexibility of being able to use the gun in the "B Zone" or further out with the quicker target access and greater accuracy assisted by Ghost Ring Sites.

Again thanks for this very valuable knowledge and wisdom.

pat

No problem, glad to help.

That Shotlock looks pretty interesting. I'm not aware of anything similar that'd work with GRS though. I like my ghost rings for shoot'n slugs at 50yd and beyond, but inside that a bead is just as effective in my opinion and many folks around here will tell you they prefer a simple bead over GRS for HD. Either way you'll end up with a great defensive weapon, but if you're set on the Shotlock system your options are a bit more limited...

Welcome from MI!!

Back