• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

High and Left

Jmm14534

20g
Premier Member
Greetings all,

I was shooting some federal sabot slugs out of my M500 persuader (8+1) earlier this week and I couldn't believe how far off I was. I put a 5 shot group about 4.5" left and about 7.5" high from 25 yards out. I actually shot another shell just to make sure I was not hallucinating.
My M500 just has the standard bead sight and I don't think I'm that bad of a shot!!

Anybody else seen or experienced this?

Sabot slugs are for rifled barrels. Shooting them out of a smoothed bore barrel isn't going to increase your accuracy. You should be shooting out of smooth bore shotgun… standard foster slugs.

Here's some info on the differences:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shotgun_slug

Also, I believe the bead on a shotgun for foster slugs is on point for 100 yards. Distances between 0 and 100 yards you're going to have to use Kentucky windage to compensate for the arc of the slug as it travels out of the barrel.

At 50 yards I aim about 12" low to hit where I want with my bead.

I use foster type slugs with my 500. At 25 yards I'm a few to several inches low and a little left all the time. I'm actually better with buckshot to that distance and with the 835 I'm good to 40 yards. After that I'm in rifle territory.

Thanks for the replies. The strange thing about my experience with the M500 was that the same day and using the same ammo l sighted in my M590A1 (peep sights). With the M590A1 I managed to get the following group:

image.jpeg
The blue tape is a wad hit.

After I was done with the 590 I took some shots with the 500 (bead sights). The 500 was not even close. As I mentioned the hits landed 4.5" left and 7.5" high. Not worth a picture.

Strange results. I remember hitting a pumpkin once with a slug at 50 yards with the 500 so I was surprised to see such a poor result at 25. I'll need to spend some time with it. I'll try some different types of slugs.

Your 590 has the ghost ring sights with adjustable rear sight for windage and elevation?

Yes it does. It came from mossberg with the XS sight system. It's taken me awhile to get it working correctly. Check out my post on the M590 forum titled "finding a front sight that works" for the full story.

Yeah you really can't compare a ghost sight system set up already to a bead sight for shooting slugs.

You're gonna have to learn to use Kentucky windage with the bead sight with slugs.

Yes I need to spend some time at the range understanding this a little better. At the end of the day this particular shotgun is my under 25 yard buckshot gun. I'll spend an equal amount of time at the range with 00 as well.

I finally made it to the range yesterday with the M500 (8+1) to put it thru it's paces and confirm it's usability as my primary home defense shotgun. Pretty standard shogun. Upgrades includes Promag safety, Hogue forend, AirTech LimbSaver butt pad and a flashlight.

Here's the star of the show.

IMG_0056.JPG IMG_0045.JPG

Made up 5 yard, 10 yard and 15 yard targets for one slug and one buckshot round. The results are below.

IMG_0048.JPG IMG_0050.JPG IMG_0051.JPG

Not bad. All projectiles point of impact very close to point of aim. Standard bead sight - nothing special.

Notes to self. Slugs tend to shoot high. A tritium front sight at would be useful in the dark when the flash light is not in use. LimbSaver works great.

Attachments

• IMG_0048.JPG
    IMG_0048.JPG
    107.7 KB · Views: 7
Back