• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Hogue forend on 590A1 model 51518 ??

jjmIII_Ruger

Copper BB
Hi everyone. I've searched around but can't seem to find a solid answer.

Can I put a Hogue forend on my 590A1 51518?

This forend: http://www.midwayusa.com/product/928725/hogue-overmolded-forend-mossberg-500-590-rubber-black

This shotgun: http://www.mossberg.com/product/shotguns-pump-action-590a1-special-purpose-6-shot/51518

590a1.jpg

I have a Hogue forend on a 5901A1 model 51411 with bead site. Works just fine. Mine came as a forend and 12" LOP stock. I can double check the part number on the forend when I get home but it looks like you have a winner.

I can't believe I missed the welcome. Welcome aboard from PA! If you haven't yet, I hope you check in on the new members area.

jjmIII_Ruger said:
Just wanted to swing back and say thanks.

The forend fits perfect.
Optics Planet had the best shipped price, but the free shipping took 8 days to travel 4.5 hours.

Ok, YouTube was a big help with reassembly.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GX8GsZNQpds

photo3-1_zps6e6206c9.jpg

photo4_zps5b49c75d.jpg

I'm new to shotguns (actually any real guns) and am getting the 51518 like you have and was wanting to know if you had to also buy the adapter for this forend? Also wanted to know if you used a limbsaver on the speed feed stock or did you install a different stock on your 51518? Thanks in advance for a reply!
Steve

Mossberg uses three different forend lengths: 7 5/8, 6 3/4, and a 'fixed' forend (cannot change forend). The Hogue, like many forends, fits the 7 5/8. Only the 6 3/4 requires the adapter.

Your 590 has the 7 5/8 so an adapter is not needed.

Maybe this will help you.,,,,,,,

Attachments

• forend chart.jpg
    forend chart.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 105
Thank you blacksmith and old mossy. Where do you find that information on each models forend lengths?
I'm pretty sure I'm going with a 51518 but I have it narrowed to it or a 51517 and 51520.
The 51520 has a 13" lop and I'm wanting a limbsaver also. I'm 6' 1" and 190 lbs. with fairly long arms and don't really know from any experience how that may or may not bother me with a longer lop on the other 2 models and a limbsaver.

The speedfeed stock interests me also but it seems putting a limbsaver on that might be problematic.
I'm excited to make this purchase and I realize I really can't go to wrong with any of these choices.

Also have considered getting the Mossberg 590A1 12ga “Plus 2” Mag tube extension from sjhardware.
Would that pose any problem with also installing the Hogue forend?
Sorry for the noob questions but I see already that this forums members truly love to help so I'm asking away. More questions to come I'm sure...! Thanks again,

Steve

The S&J extension will not affect the forend and is an outstanding addition.

There are too many models and too many forends to say what each has; to my knowledge all 590s have the standard 7 5/8.

The short LOP is all the rage these days but I think anything less than 14" will be too short for you. Try it before you buy it.

Stegle,,,,you might want to get a ruff idea of your LOP measurement,,,,,,,,,

Attachments

• LOP measurement.jpg
    LOP measurement.jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 90
Thanks gain for the great advice and knowledge on LOP and the tip on checking it.
Now it's back to a little more research on my choices....oh so many choices!
It's really very fun until your head starts spinning.

Back