• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

How do you change the white dot front sight?

It is kind of hit or miss on barrels in general.
Some are threaded and some are pressed in.

A sure sign of threads is a tiny nut on the bottom of the bead. Not all threaded beads have it though.

Pliers may ruin the bead.
Hopefully someone here will have actual changing information for the breacher barrel you have.

Any that I have removed were on target barrels and they all screwed out using a cloth over the bead and pliers, either on the bead or on the nut.

The breacher barrels I have seen personally had a fixed blade molded right onto the barrel. I do not recall if they were even Mossberg's or not.

I ruined a bead on a 870 Express by trying to unscrew it without realizing it was pressed in.

As LTB said look for a nut under the sight, also look inside the barrel as the hole is often drilled all the way through the inside wall.

Thank you for the replies. I looked in the barrel and it doesn't go all the way through. There is no nut under the sight. It doesn't appear molded with the barrel. There is a tiny gap but it is too small for me to see if there are any threads or not.

IMG_0951.jpg

Sure does look like a meprolight sight.????? They thread in. ,,,,but not 100% sure.

Any markings on it?

150357.jpg

No. there are no markings on it. That Meprolight dot looks a lot more elaborate. The white dot on my gun is just white paint. Also, there are dots on both sides of the sight. It came stock on my gun.

OK,,you can't see the underside because of the breacher.

Here's a pic of a white dot sight on a breacher barrel,,,,,it is threaded in.

white dotbreacher.jpg

Thanks! Do you figure it is the 5-40 thread? Seems like that is a common thread for the Mossberg.

Do they just come off if, as LTB45 said, I use a cloth and pliers? Or do they need to be heated up first to break any thread locker?

Thanks for all the help! Sorry for the questions.

Do they just come off if, as LTB45 said, I use a cloth and pliers? Or do they need to be heated up first to break any thread locker?

I'd use a heat gun to soften the Loctite (heat the barrel, not the sight) then an open end wrench if you can find one that small or maybe even a small adjustable wrench. Use care to avoid scratching the barrel finish. Good luck and welcome aboard!

Back