• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

How do you folks like your pistol grip Mossberg 500?

I currently own a Mossberg 590A1 with the 18.5 inch barrel, and I was thinking of getting myself a pistol grip model 500 with an 18.5 inch barrel, something like a "Just In Case" gun.

I've done some research on youtube and google, but it's always enjoyable to read the opinions and experiences of fellow members on this forum and fellow Mossberg fans.

I've even considered another 590A1 but installing a pistol grip but I believe I'd pretty the lighter weight and handiness of the most basic 500 with a pistol grip.

What are your experiences?

Re: How do you folks like your pistol grip Mossberg 500 gun?

My 590 came configured with the heavy breacher barrel and pistol grip only.

I can tell you that the heavy barrel with a fully loaded mag tube makes for a heavy SOB and that supporting all the weight with one hand gets old real fast. Aiming down the barrel is next to impossible without risking a broken cheek bone and shooting from the hip severely limits your accuracy. I ran a Gen1 SpecOps for a while and it now sports a Hogue short LOP stock...

Agreed Sniper, I handled a Mossberg Breacher and I didn't realize it had such a heavy barrel, it was very awkward to hold with one hand, that's why I think I'll go for a very basic 500 Cruiser, I don't even think I'll add the heat shield, I don't want to add even a few ounces.

I already have a 590A1 so I'm not too concerned about having a shotgun with a stock on it, the Cruiser with pistol grip will mostly be to have something very handy around the house. Home invasions are on the rise and we had one home invasion just 30 feet from my door, so I like to keep a gun handy. The light cruiser will be quicker handling and with no distance in my place being more than 14 feet I'm sure a pistol grip shotgun will be fine.

I actually did own a pistol grip Mossberg years ago, I had to sell it due to financial issues. I really liked it, and my recent purchase of a 590A1 was to undo that mistake.

Actually, if I were willing to wait, I'd just get myself a Serbu Super Shorty or perhaps a 14" 590A1 "Any Other Weapon", and perhaps one day I will, but for now a basic inexpensive pistol grip Mossberg that can be a same day purchase may be in my future, either that or a very basic full stock Mossberg.

That brings up another interesting point, if I buy a pistol grip 500, I will likely buy a full stock for it also, so that I can change out the pistol grip for the full stock for the days when I want to shoot it as a long arm rather than a "shorty" with a pistol grip.

Well in that case, a model 50521 18" 500 Special Purpose combo package would fit the bill nicely.

At under $300 it's the least expensive 500 you're likely to find out there and comes standard with both a full stock and pistol grip...

I have tried a bunch of different pistol grips and from an ergonomic standpoint I think the Raptor grip is the best one available. viewtopic.php?f=78&t=4573

I have one attached to my Mossberg 500 and its the gun I keep right next to my bed for things that go bump in the night.

I like PG's for turkey/deer/varmint hunting but find them awkward for almost every other kind of shooting, esp. with the location of Mossberg's safety.

I had been shooting for many, years before ever picking up a PG shotgun so that may have something to do with it; I'm just much more comfortable with a std. stock.

It all comes down to personal preference.

590A1s are heavy. The only reason to get one is the 18.5 barrel + extension. Otherwise just stick with 500s or regular 590s.

Pistol grips excel at shooting from the hip - but it is the only thing they can do. A standard straight stock will shoot from the hip and shoulder very well. Ironically I find the M4-style stocks the hardest to shoot from the hip.

Agreed on the full stock shotgun being the best for most circumstances, and I have a full stock Mossberg. The reason I want a PG Moss is that for some circumstances it is preferred. It is very light and very quick into position, and at across the room distances for home defense it is an option. I believe the PG Moss has it's place in the scheme of things.

I've also considered a 20 gauge but they are no cheaper and I don't think I want to deal with two types of ammo, I can always stick with low recoil 12 gauge or bird shot for across the room distances. For anyone who doubts bird shot at 10 feet, there is a Gun Blast video on youtube where he buys a pork rib cage, puts that over a huge chunk of pork shoulder, and wraps it all in denim.

The bird shot blasts through the rib cage and deep into the pork shoulder, shattering bone, but keep in mind this is a room distances, and the bird shot does not spread, it hits as one compact 1 ounce mass of lead traveling at 1250 fps and packing over 1000 ft lbs of energy.

Back to the PG Moss, I'm aware of the limitations, at least I've read about them but have not experienced them first hand. Also keep in mind, there is nothing stopping one from converting his PG Moss into a full stock if need be.

Myself, if I could, I'd get a Serbu Super Shorty, but I don't want to wait nearly a year.

Thanks for all the comments and recommendations, it's ALWAYS A PLEASURE to communicate with fellow firearms enthusiasts, read your opinions and experiences, and provide my own, it truly is!

Consider an over or side folder.

I have a Choate over folder on one of mine and the other gun pictured with the Knoxx overfolder belongs a friend of mine. That sort of setup gives best of both worlds. Compact when folded up but the ability to have a shoulder mounted stock when you want it. The only downside is theres hardly zero cheekweld though on any sort of overfolder. Something more like a traditional stock or even the M4gery styles with an added cheekrest is your best bet for the most stability which equals accuracy. A consistent cheekweld and lots of practice can net you very good results downrange with slugs even from a smoothbore barrel. But in a pinch you can flip out the overfolder if needed when you want to take a longer outside type of shot. Indoor the compactness can be a big bonus.

FWIW my second 500 came as a cruiser "PG" only and I quickly ditched it to throw a M4gery style butt stock on it. While I have the ability on my other one rarely do I use it as a PG only. Slugs already kick enough as is. Why jack my wrist up exclusively. Got to show some bruised shoulder love too ;)

Finally, consider a birds head or also known as a witness style grip. Much easier on the wrist to shoot from the hip if you are really trying to keep things as compact as possible. Also with the 500/590 series safety placement its still ideal for utilizing it over a more vertical PG. Which jogs my memory, that is the other huge downside to any overfolder and the Mossberg safety location when the stock is folded over.

http://shockwavetechnologies.com/site/?page_id=14

YMMV as usual. Good luck with your decision.

I have a 500A that came with one and I'm a big guy and I did not like shooting it with just the grip. I put a stock that you can remove the but stock

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1391150391.033313.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1391150391.033313.jpg
    114.3 KB · Views: 299

Fastang, how do you like the stock on your shotgun? I've never really cared for them UNTIL I found a Mossberg 500 with this exact stock at a local store, and you know what, it's beginning to grow on me and I kinda' like it now. The gun at the local store has the ATI made stock.

How do you like yours? I handled it and I must say, it felt good in my hands. I also adjusted the stock to a length of pull that was just right for me, and it really didn't seem very heavy.

I guess I'm in the minority in that I love my Hogue Tamer pistol grip.

Next time I go to the range I'll see if I can get a video of me shooting trap one handed, lol.

au01st said:
I guess I'm in the minority in that I love my Hogue Tamer pistol grip.

Next time I go to the range I'll see if I can get a video of me shooting trap one handed, lol.

Au, I truly believe pistol grip shotguns have their place. If you ever do make that video (that would be one bad ass video!), one thing that may demonstrate to viewers that these guns have their place is setup that mimics that of the inside of a home.

For example, you can be standing in one spot, then you have targets that would simulate where a front door would be, or an "across the room" distance. My guess is that if it were a home invasion, a pistol grip shotgun would be just fine. I don't know this, it's just my educated guess.

A pistol grip shotgun must certainly be faster into action than a long heavy shotgun. I have the 18.5 inch 590A1 and it does not feel like it would be fast into action, but then again it would not be slow either.

Overall, I do believe a light, handy pistol grip shotgun has its advantages.

au01st said:

I have shot quite a few grouse one handed with a PG Only 500 persuader in the early 90's on the way to work. Used to keep one in a logging crummy, it was a little competition between us . Seen coworkers get turkeys the same way always carried 3" #1 bird in it.

I love the pistol grip. i never actually attached it to the shotgun. Instead I attached it to my soldering iron with JB weld. much more comfy.

clarke187 said:
I love the pistol grip. i never actually attached it to the shotgun. Instead I attached it to my soldering iron with JB weld. much more comfy.

I can see you are all about close range encounters. LOL :lol: :lol:

MikeD said:
clarke187 said:

Close range? I'm going to attempt a 1500 yard shot, single hand hold, using a Mossberg 500 with pistol grip and 3" Magnum slugs. :lol:

Oh, and I forgot to mention, a bead front sight...

Mister_Mossberg said:
MikeD said:
clarke187 said:

Close range? I'm going to attempt a 1500 yard shot, single hand hold, using a Mossberg 500 with pistol grip and 3" Magnum slugs. :lol:

Oh, and I forgot to mention, a bead front sight...

Might as well go 1600yds and make it the full mile :D

And of course, one shot doesn't count, needs to be a 3 or 5 shot group, lol.

gooffeyguy said:
au01st said:
Might as well go 1600yds and make it the full mile :D

A mile is 1760 yards

Definitely going to need some extra flux for that extra 160 yards. :twisted:

Back