• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

How do you folks like your pistol grip Mossberg 500?

I first shot an 18" pistol gripped 870 12-ga back about 32 years ago. It was a gun I actually owned and kept for quite a while. I think I shot 1-0z slugs and 2-3/4" 00 buck thru it. Every few years I would give it another go, trying to get better and see if I actually enjoyed it. I called "no joy" and gave up.

I'd equate it to holding a .44-magnum derringer in your hand and getting whacked in your palm by somebody swinging a baseball bat when pulling the trigger.

I couldn't hit a 9" paper plate from ten feet on a consistent basis.

Re: How do you folks like your pistol grip Mossberg 500 gun?

MikeD said:
I like PG's for turkey/deer/varmint hunting but find them awkward for almost every other kind of shooting, esp. with the location of Mossberg's safety.

I had been shooting for many, years before ever picking up a PG shotgun so that may have something to do with it; I'm just much more comfortable with a std. stock.

It all comes down to personal preference.

After rereading much of this thread I need to amend my post. I am referring to pistol grip stocks, not a just the pistol grip.

As far as regular pistol grips go, I really have no use for them. Shotguns are to violent and are too hard to control without a full stock IMHO. If size is an issue I will take a short LOP over a PG any day.

Re: How do you folks like your pistol grip Mossberg 500 gun?

jgwills said:
Consider an over or side folder.

I have a Choate over folder on one of mine. That sort of setup gives best of both worlds. Compact when folded up but the ability to have a shoulder mounted stock when you want it. The only downside is theres hardly zero cheekweld though on any sort of overfolder.

I've had an affinity for the Choate top folder since I first saw one - an old online action game I used to play featured a 500 wearing one.

GEr97cL.jpg

I was able to pick one up for an absolute steal on Ebay, I paid $34 for it delivered to my door.

According to the seller, it was from a PD precincts less-lethal 500 that had been retired, hence the orange paint.

cHyuMLn.jpg

pmespSF.jpg

It cleaned up very nicely with some CLP and a pick.

faststang90 said:
mine is not a ati one its one i found on ebay. i like the way the gun is now than stock

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tactical-Shotgu ... 381wt_1238

Qboirdb.jpg

I can ID that as a Phoenix Technologies stock - I recognize it because the Phoenix Tech. pistol grips are my absolute favorite.

I have an unmodified one that's just the rear grip, and bought a second one and custom-fit / bedded it to fit my Choate stock.

4UlESkT.jpg

I don't like a pistol grip on shotguns at all. A pistol grip on a mossberg 500 is especially bad because you have to take your right hand off the freaking shotgun to use the safety. It also makes it a major PITA to work the slide release. There are no advantages to it, only disadvantages.

Clarke: while your statement about the safety is correct, but can be overcome with practice. Your part about the release lever is, well, semi invalid. Check my thread for 500 Slide Lock Release, vendor section under Shoten Armory, or ask around to the guys here who have bought them. For example Elucase, Itsricmo, DieselMudder...
Your point is valid with the factory lever, but it's not the final solution.
These stocks aren't for everybody, but in some cases such as a wrist or hand injury, they are almost a necessity.

Sent from my XT1030 using Tapatalk

I liked my pistol grip so much that it sits in drawer with other gun parts.
Mind you some of you are talking about a pistol grip with some sort of stock on it as well.
Never found a use for something like that on any of my shotguns.

I prefer a standard stocks on shotguns. Easier access to the Mossberg safety and in the extreme remote chance I need to shoot without shouldering the weapon, I can do it just as easy with a standard stock. I had an 870 for a while with a folding stock and pistol grip that was very comfortable. Never once folded the stock though and the 870 safety is easier for me to access from a pistol grip than the Mossbergs.

Looks like all pistol types are mixed in here. I've heard the "birds head" grip works good. Anyone try these?

Speedfeed_Pistol_Grip.jpg

^ I'll let you know as soon as my new barrel shows up.

Gonna throw a Raptor grip on the 590 for a while...

I like mine but switch back and forth to regular stock. I like feeding it from my stock too, cut it down myself
ejaru4e5.jpg
sezyhy9a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back