• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

How hot

You want to heat the receiver where the mag tube threads into the receiver.

Dosen't take too much heat. You need to get a real good grip on it unscrewing the tube.

Welcome to the forum.

Not much! Locktite will give right around 300 degrees. I put a heat gun on mine for just a couple of minutes right where it meets the receiver and it worked great. I did use clamps, wood and leather to anchor down the gun (DON'T ANCHOR THE BUTT STOCK YOU'LL BREAK IT) and then gave the mag a good hard turn and it came free. Clean off the remaining LT ( I used Ballistol and it cleaned it right off) and you'll never need to mess with this again.

I worked at it and it came loose. I just didn't want to get it too hot. I used a heat gun but it took a few mins with the heat to it. Thanks for the replys.

1,221°F is the melting point of Aluminum.

Stay well below that, and you'll be fine.

I think you would destroy the finish long before you destroy the aluminum.

Outstanding thread, everyone has to remove the magazine to give proper maintenance to ALL parts of this shotgun. Can't neglect feed functions, it will fail when you really need it.

I have never heated one. Have a buddy hold the tube or the reciever and twist in opposed directions, and I've never put anything back on the threads....haven't failed yet

I have never had to heat one. I support and protect the receiver in a vise. I use a strap wrench close to the receiver and take the magazine tube off.

I have never had to heat one. I support and protect the receiver in a vise. I use a strap wrench close to the receiver and take the magazine tube off.
Mine was a tough one because even after heating it up just a bit I still had to do what you did by clamping the receiver and giving it a good turn to pop it loose.

I just hit the tube with a propane torch for about a second or so and mine came loose. I did not get the flame to close and made sure the flame and heat did not go towards anything else.

Back