• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

How is this even physically possible?

Interesting! I`m not sure how thay are able to pack the extra 3 pellets in there but I would imagine it`s good stuff....I really like the mini buck and have tried out their buck and ball.

100_7728.JPG 100_7619.JPG

If I were guessing, they are using fast burning powder that takes a small charge to achieve the pressure. I know that I was surprised with how Enforcer powder is. It's like black salt. Not saying that's what nobel sport is using in these shells but just giving an example.

Anyway, that seems like one method to fit more in there is to use "non-conventional" powders and charges.

What John said!!

I reloaded shotgun shells for many years and physical volume of powder needed changed dramatically with fhe type of powder.

I typically went the other way, working down to 7/8 ounce 12g loads to save money and reduce recoil on the skeet range.

In most shells a lot of volume is also consumed by the wad and/or shotcup, they may have minimized that even furthur as well.

One guess is that instead of a deep plastic shot cup with a hollow cushion these shells have little more than a solid and thinner wad base over the powder. That would leave room for one more layer of three balls.

As far as speed, there are 9-pellet buck loads going 1600-fps so I see no surprise that a 12-pellet payload can get to 1290.

Also, the 2-3/4" shell length is a FIRED length. Most buck loads have petals on the mouth of the hull which when unfolded are longer than a roll crimp would create. They cleverly used a roll crimp to keep within the total length but unfired they are probably a millimeter or two longer because of that roll crimp.

I would like one of you guys to take one apart, and see how round the balls are. If they're really jamming them in there tight they would be a little flat here and there.

Last edited:
I doubt that you'll crimp a shell tight enough to cause deformation of lead.

I've never done roll crimping so I don't know how hard you can stuff things, and I'd have no idea how the factory does the shells.

I believe they can't use a regular shot cup.

Back