• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

How long does the magazine tube spring last?

JayC

.270 WIN
The other day I saw on Mossberg's Facebook page a link they posted to The Truth About Guns Best of 2013 Choice Awards. I was reading the review TTAG had about the FLEX 500. In it, the reviewer said his tube spring lasts about five years when he keeps the tube loaded to one short of its capacity. This is the review if anyone wants to look at it:

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2013/1 ... x-shotgun/

I never really thought about the spring longevity, but even with it loaded, five years seems kind of short doesn't it? I can see some red stuff on the threads on my magazine tube, which I guess is probably Loctite. It looks like it would be quite a job to remove.

I guess I post this because I had read about springs on Marlin Owners before reading that 500 review. This is the thread if anyone wants to look at it:

http://www.marlinowners.com/forum/rimfi ... stion.html

Springs do not wear out from being compressed. Springs wear out from being used.

That is one of the posts in that thread that has me kind of confused. How is the magazine tube spring on everyone's 500 holding up?

I've never had a spring (magazine or otherwise) go soft on any of my guns. Including one that was made in the 1860's. If you're only thinking coils in mags, same there; 1940 Savage 6A, 1974 Win 9422M, '89 590, various 1911 pistol mags, etc. Never had an issue with any of them except a extractor spring recently on the Savage.

I've put around 2K shells through my 590 in the two years I've owned it.... absolutely no feeding issues (other than shell stop related ;) ) and she's still going strong.

Can't speak for the 500 but I have well over 10K rounds through an 870 and still have the stock spring in it.

I've honestly never heard of one wearing out.

Thanks guys. It's good to hear that the spring lasts a good while. I thought it sounded kind of hinky in the review that he had to replace it so often.

JayC said:
I can see some red stuff on the threads on my magazine tube, which I guess is probably Loctite. It looks like it would be quite a job to remove.

Correct on all counts. Mossberg now uses High-Strength threadlocker on the mag tubes, and it is a bear to remove. It involves a heat gun and force :eek:

FYI a UV light is used for threadlocker inspection since the threadlocker is fluorescent.

From a mechanical strength standpoint, your spring is only only being worn when compressing or expanding. When it is at a steady state, fully compressed (loaded) or fully expanded (empty), it is not wearing down, so the old don't fully load your magazine so you don't damage the spring is bunk.

It can make a difference in a box magazine type weapon if you are trying to seat a magazine in a weapon with the bolt/slide closed. My EDC pistol has factory 7 rd mags and I have a couple aftermarket 8 rounders. I can only carry 7+1, because the fully loaded 8 rounder is difficult to seat with the slide closed. I don't want to put that pressure on the other internals of my pistol, and I have concerns about proper cycling in a self-defense situation.

-Brad

I had a department issued Remington 870 that was issued to me when I was on probation and turned in when I retired 25 years later and except when cleaning it, kt was contantly loaded. I know its not a Mossberg but springs are springs. The 870 wasn't new when issued and it was 100% reliable.

Sent from my BNTV600 using Tapatalk

All of the above replies are what I've experienced in the past fifty years. If you decide that you really need to remove your Mossberg magazine tube just heat the receiver/tube juncture with a hair dryer and twist the tube out with a rubber jar lid opener. If that doesn't work a little fingernail polish remover will loosen up that thread locker. Just don't get it on your stock finish. tom. :cool:

Back