• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

How long has public schools failed us?

John A.

Unconstitutional laws are not laws.
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
It's generational.

Strange how even 50 years ago, schools were teaching doom and gloom rather than the basics.

Very interesting video for sure what these kids think the year 2000 is going to be like. I expected to hear about flying cars and robots that clean the house for you. But, nope.

Just to go on record, I don't just blame this on schools. But the media as well for pushing agenda's.

In the time that film was made I was going to Elementary school on an Air Force Base.

I don’t recall anything gloomy about our schooling. I do remember that during the Cuban missile crisis all the wives and children had to hide out in a bomb shelter which was under the bowling alley.

I don’t remember ever being worried about nuclear war because our Air Force was gonna kick ass on those Russians the same way we kicked ass on the Nazis.
my dad never talked about the stuff while he was alive, but he did computer programming for the radar early warning systems and the anti-ballistic missile systems.

He worked on the early technology defending Israel right now: tracking & Shooting down enemy missiles.

My opinion is worth what it costs, nothing. That being said, I think the public schools really started veering left when prayer was outlawed.

P.S. I know kids can still pray, it was so called government mandated prayer that SCOTUS banned in 1962. The ruling was the result of a suit brought by Madelyn Murray O'Hair.

Last edited:
It's generational.

Strange how even 50 years ago, schools were teaching doom and gloom rather than the basics.

Very interesting video for sure what these kids think the year 2000 is going to be like. I expected to hear about flying cars and robots that clean the house for you. But, nope.

Well, we do have the Roomba vacuum cleaners. :laugh: Take care. Tom Worthington

Since I spent a good part of my working life programming machines to do things (calculate, draw, display, punch, bend, rotate, weld, clamp, nail, archive, test, signal, etc.) I can’t discount the Roomba! Imagine if we could have released that tech on the Moon.

Little Roombas fly there, pick up valuable moon dirt, and bring it back home to you. ;-)

My opinion is worth what it costs, nothing. That being said, I think the public schools really started veering left when prayer was outlawed.

P.S. I know kids can still pray, it was so called government mandated prayer that SCOTUS banned in 1962. The ruling was the result of a suit brought by Madelyn Murray O'Hair.
We said prayers when I went to a Catholic elementary school, but not at the public schools I went to. Maybe they thought it would be too confusing for little kids to reconcile that He created the heavens and earth, while studying about dinosaurs..and as far as veering left, we had gun club in high school that you could letter in, and I never heard of the Tulsa race events until recently, so I have to guess that “righty” still has a pretty firm grip in the education system..lol

The process has been long and slow, and in the beginning very discreet.

The public schools have been trying to wrest control from parents for decades, and unfortunately too many parents have been willing to turn over their child raising responsibility. Our inner city public schools have become a part of the welfare state over the years. Too much social engineering and not enough educating.

Catholic schools are private, that's why the ruling did not pertain to them. As for the "gun club", now the kids are taught that guns are bad, they kill. Confusing, dinosaurs, and God creating the heavens and earth, now they are telling them there are scores of genders, or none at all. That boys are girls and girls are boys. They teach them they can be whatever they want, and if not it is whiteys fault.

As for the Tulsa "race event". That was not a well publicized event nationally. When I moved to Tulsa in 2010 it was called a race riot by the local citizens. A commission had been created 25-30 years ago to study what happened. Then about 4 or 5 years ago the commission renamed the event the Tulsa Race Massacre. Now that is a way to unite the city for sure. Of course the school district and news media jumped on board immediately.

So when righty ( that would be me) goes to school board meetings and parent teacher conferences back in the 80s and into the early 2000s and sees the changes, it was,is,will be very disconcerting. However, it is very hard to convince people to wake up when you are pushing against free lunch, then free breakfast, and free after school meals as well if you qualify. Of course the qualifying standard keeps going up as well. Now we provide free meals during the summer, again to those that qualify.

Of course we know those things are not free. The taxpayers are footing the bill.

It is very location specific I think. I have lived in Washington all my life. Most of my property taxes go to the local school district even though I’m well passed having a kid in school. I couldn’t imagine being in school these days. The gender thing is super confusing to me. I know it’s always been there, it’s just more prevalent with the advent of the internet, just like the Tulsa thing.. there are at least 2,uh, people in my graduating class that are women now, but weren’t back in school. They aren’t gay, which makes it more weird to me, maybe?. I guess I’m a lesbian then.lol Anyway, back to school as a lefty or righty, it might not give a kid the whole picture, given what they receive at home, but to make it in the world they are gonna be in long after I’m gone, it sure can’t hurt. And the lunch thing is all over the board too. My grandkids are in K and 2nd this year. Their district doesn’t qualify any kid for meals. Every kid who shows up at the posted time gets breakfast and or lunch, every school day.. my grandkids don’t like milk, preferring water,lol, tap water, but get the little half pints twice a day each. I haven’t bought milk for myself in a year, lol..9E5F1803-9055-43BE-8295-FDBA0BD2F46C.jpeg

If you paid very close attention to the video in the original post, the kids were not even American. They were British. So, there were no democrat or republicans (left or right) in the conversation in the first place.

Here's some more education facts for you since you seemed amazed at the tulsa thing that they've been advertising on the history channel.

Did you know that during what they called the Battle of Matewan and the battle of blair mountain and bloody Harlan, there was more bullets expended than during the whole of the civil war? I bet that's something else you didn't learn in school @Rodburner. But, feel free to blame that on those on the right too. Seems that you enjoy trying to blame everything on "the right". You seem to be a product of exactly what I was referring about the schools failing to teach history and you don't even realize it.

Further, the government also dropped surplus nerve gas bombs left over from WW1 from planes onto the miners that were striking for fair wages. All on American soil and against US citizens. Don't believe me?

Here's some more links to what I was referring to earlier if you wanted to learn something new today.

https://www.history.com/news/americas-largest-labor-uprising-the-battle-of-blair-mountain

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Matewan

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=bloody+harlan+coal&t=newext&atb=v251-1&ia=web

I haven’t bought milk for myself in a year, lol...
Back when my kids were in elementary school, on occasion we would leave early and go have breakfast at school. Nice little bonding thing and the school welcomed it. Kids were $1, I think I was $2. Pretty soon we'd have an entire gang of their friends sitting with us because I'm that cool... :D My rule was you want to sit with us, you need to eat your entire breakfast or give me what you don't want. I would leave with a half-dozen milks and/or juices, single-serve cereals, etc. The really SAD part about the "free or reduced" breakfast is that kids would come out of the food line and into the cafeteria proper and push their new, full milks and juices/fruit right into the garbage can and just eat the pancakes, donut or whatever. :mad: This is government waste on an ungodly level repeated millions of times daily and is what you get when everyone qualifies for welfare... People are raised to be "entitled", unappreciative, wasteful scumbags... :mad: (rant over)

My kids were told that if the teacher contradicts what I have taught them over the years (ie: guns, government, history, freedom) I NEED to know about. Never had any issues in their school or they just chose not to tell me... :rolleyes: My son graduates in less than a month so I will care less at this point although will still have to pay taxes. I believe for the greater good, we SHOULD pay to educate our youth (within reason) and train for internships for needed industry. I think an uneducated youth would tend to be less-productive and more prone to commit crime. A lot of this is caused by parental non-involvement with homework and/or single-parent families--schools should not be daycare. BUT, I also do not agree with indoctrination so will continue to be thorny at school committee meetings. ;)

I have a BS in Career & Tech Ed (ie: Industrial Arts) but have no desire to deal with the politics of applying for a job in a public school. Just for them to consider an app you have to go through this online, touchy-feely pre-"test" about various teaching scenarios and "what would you do". At 100Qs I got through about 20 and said "fornicate this"... The pay is not high enough for me to be a glorified baby-sitter with parents either not giving one shit or all up in YOUR shit because of something you said to little Johnny that they disagreed with.

Last edited:
Good teachers would enjoy working for a private school, because private businesses must make sense. There is no money or time for any nonsense.

Bad teachers would find other work quickly.

Back