• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

How many rounds through your 590? (or 500)

I have a hunch this is already a topic that has been posted here before so if anyone can provide a link to that thread I would appreciate it.

If not, well, how many rounds do you have through your 590 (or 500, a 500 with 30,000 rounds would mean the 590 is likely a strong gun too)? I was debating whether to buy a Remington 870 or a Mossberg 590A1 and read everything I could find on the internet, and watched all the youtube vids I found. I really like the 870 but ultimately I decided on the 590A1 that meets milspec. I chose the no frills shorter, handier 5+1 model 51411 with bead sight. Chose bead sights because I watched vids of Hickok45 bangin' away at 80 yard gongs, no problem, with slugs using nothing more than a bead sight, so it's all I'll ever need and it's fast.

I must admit, I still need a little reassurance (well, I wouldn't call it reassurance, I know the Moss will handle a lot of punishment) that this shotgun will handle as much use as the Remington 870 Police.

It's not that I doubt the 590 is tough, it's that I've read much about the Remington "easily" outlasting the Mossberg. I'm well aware that the Moss is metal to metal where it's relevant, though.

I guess I just want to read that my Mossberg will handle a bajillion rounds which is more than enough even if the Remington can handle THREE bajillion rounds. It's like knowing that despite Glocks going one million rounds, a good Colt 1911 will run two hundred thousand rounds or something like that.

I do prefer the Moss over the Rem because I can replace the ejector myself, the safety, the fact that I don't have to deal with that spring loaded flap of metal (pardon my ignorance, I'm learning fast) when I'm loading the magazine, and some indefinable reason I cannot identify that makes me want a Mossberg over the Remington. Somebody also wrote that "Mossberg" is just a cool name for a shotgun company. Cool doesn't add anything to the table, but it doesn't hurt!

That the Moss has survived the battlefield for these past ten years is also important to me. I already know the Rem is battle proven, but now I know the Moss is as well. I am very happy with my Mossberg 590A1, I have no intention of adding anything to it except for maybe a sling.

If I want more frills, then I'll get a second Mossberg, but this is to be my no frill bare bones basic heavy duty 12 gauge shotgun and I couldn't be happier. When I think of owning a Remington, I have this gut feeling I'd still be pining after a Mossberg 590A1 model 51411.

I should add that I once owned a pistol grip 500 but sold it years ago because I needed the money. I was very happy with it, it was a little rattly but my new 590 is much tighter and with the parkerized finish I prefer, so I do like the Mossbergs. Okay, I'll say thanks here and now for all the replies, thoughts, and advice in answer to my question of how many rounds do you have through your Mossberg 590, which basically asks how durable are these guns. Thank you...

Welcome Mr Mossberg! You've come to the wrong forum to hear bad things about the 500/590 platform ;)

Just kidding... WeVe got a good group of people hear, and we'll be the first to tell you that even pump action shotguns can malfunction! From my data point, I had a 500 with over 2K problem free shells through it, and now the 590a1 for just over a year, with about 1500-2000 shells through it. After fixing the well documented and easily corrected cartridge stop QC issue, it has been hiccup free, no matter what I put in the tube.

For many people it's just a matter of preference between the 870 and 500/590...and I assure you both platforms will last a lifetime if properly maintained. I think there would be many things that would break on a Mossberg before the alloy receiver ever gives out.

I prefer the 590 over the 500, but they're essentially the same gun with a few differences. If you can, fire both at a range and see which you prefer (870 vs 500), or at least handle both at your local gun store before you make a choice. Let us know what you decide!

First, welcome aboard.

I have a 1989 590 Mariner that I bought used about a year ago. I have no idea how many or what loads it has seen (probably lots). I've put 50 or so Brenneke slugs, and #4 & 00 buck thru it. It cycles smoothly and reliably, and goes bang every time. :) And it still looks purty. ;)

m590full.jpg~original

Thanks for posting that link to the previous round count thread!

You know what I forgot to mention, one of the motivators for making my post. In my research comparing durability of the Moss vs. Rem, I came across two posts by gentlemen claiming to be law enforcement, Both stated that during their law enforcement careers, their departments used both Moss and Rem (odd now that I think about it, a bureaucracy having two systems instead of one?) and that after years of use and thousands of rounds, the Remingtons held up better than the Mossbergs.

Just to clarify, I OWN a Mossberg 590A1 model 51411 I recently bought, I chose it after tons of research, I'm very happy with it, and that the purpose of my post is more to solidify that the Moss I own is one tough gun that will hold up to tons of use. Even if it won't survive 3 nuclear explosions like the Remington can, it will survive 2 nuclear explosions, and that's good enough for me!

I will post photos of my new 590A1 with it's 18.5 inch barrel and bead sights soon enough! Thanks for the replies, it's always a pleasure to read good things about our Mossbergs from fellow fans.

I should also say that there is a Mossberg 500 Breacher with pistol grip in my future, and possibly another 590A1 but with a 20" barrel for 8+1 shots. I need to put my nose to the grindstone and earn the money first, though!! :)

Okay, here are some photos of my new 590A1...

Attachments

• Moss 002.JPG
    Moss 002.JPG
    233.5 KB · Views: 318
  • Moss 001.JPG
    Moss 001.JPG
    159.3 KB · Views: 318
  • Moss 003.JPG
    Moss 003.JPG
    216.2 KB · Views: 318
From what I gathered MOST LE issued shotguns dont get shot very often to begin with.

Most LEO trade ins internally are fairly clean just beaten on the outside from daily carry wear.

My only issue with my 590A1 (same model as you) is the QC on the cartridge stopper. Caused excessive wear at 400 rounds which required me to get a new action slide and cartridge stopper.

Also, my bolt at around the 2,000 mark seemed odd in that the firing pin was protruding out a bit. I believe a washer internally snapped but I was unable to disassemble the bolt to correct the problem. So I ordered a new bolt.

My 930SPX... close to 3,000 rounds and still rocking out.

I have shot an effin' crapload of slug and buckshot rounds thru numerous Mossberg pumps (a 590 and a few 500s). There is no sign of mechanical wear that worries me in the least. None of the loads have been light birsdhot.

I drop them, I slam them, I throw them and I let them fall onto hard surfaces in the course of my normal job. I do all this on purpose. I don't HAVE to do that, because I can be as gentle as can be with them if I wanted to. BUT.... I push them hard and wait for a sign that something is compromised. So far: NOTHING.

I cannot imagine a time when any one of them just gives up simply because of round count.

Sinkhole, I'll trade ya'... I like the solid one more, but then again I have NOT SHOT my gun yet, so maybe I'll be feeling the same way you do after some buckshot loads. Honestly, one issue I have with the rubber pad, it grabs everything and slows me down. Shouldering the weapon, the rubber grabs my shirt, jacket, whatever I'm wearing and things get a little discombobulated shouldering the weapon. I have no such problem with a friend's shotgun with its plastic cap on the butt stock.

I'm also beginning to agree with another post I read on here, about the length of pull. I didn't know I could order LOP as needed, the one I got is about 14.5 inches and it's fifty/fifty as far as comfort goes. I have a hunch I'd do better with an inch less LOP. When I looked at new factory butt stocks, I got sticker shock. FYI, I am just a tiny bit over 6' tall, 210 pounds, and I still find the factory LOP on my model 51411 (My choice of models over all other models except for the 14 inch model which I can't afford right now and didn't want to wait 8 months for the background check).

I may try and find a nice wood stock with the rich deep grain and color you find on new Springfield Armory M1A rifles, or Remington Police 870's with wood, and I'll keep the black fore end. I don't know that I like the rubber recoil pad grabbing on my clothes the way it does, but maybe I'll be thankful to have it once I shoot a few slugs, huh... Anyway, I may get a little fancy and put a wood stock on the gun if I find one short enough.

I'm very happy with my Mossberg, and as mentioned, I had one years ago that I sold to pay some bills. I liked it, it was a blued 500 eight shot with pistol grip and either it came with a blued heat shield or I added it later. It was rattly but I really liked it. I like this 590A1 even more.

When I have the cash I would like to pay the tax stamp fee and get an NFA 14" barrel 590A1 with butt stock, I like short guns. Though I really like the 20 inch 590A1 guns, if I had to choose one, it would be the 14 incher, same 5+1 capacity if I'm not mistaken, and a lot handier. The 18.5" barrel is the next best thing, I know more shots are better, I know nobody ever wished they had LESS rounds in a firefight, but I've settled on this model, I like compact.

I guess a good compromise would be the 18.5 inch with a mag extension to get 7+1, the handy size of the 18.5 incher with only 1 shy of the full sized model's capacity. Maybe a second 590A1 is in my future, and I'll add an extension to that one, my current one I want to keep bone stock. I'm not made of money right now so that's sometime in the future, and frankly, I think the 590A1 gives A LOT OF BANG FOR THE BUCK, they are well priced, I paid $475 for mine before tax. You can't even get a Glock for that money and they are affordably priced in the current market.

One on my dream list would be the Serbu Mossberg 590A1 (is it a 590A1?), nice gun! And $950!

Nitesite, it's good to read that you've been torture testing these guns, I have read so many posts on the net stating how Mossbergs are good but when you want a gun built like a vault, un-bustable, indestructible, that will easily outlast a Mossberg, "buy a Remington 870". Reading that stuff is buggin' me, but I read it all before I bought the Mossberg and bought it anyway, still it's good to read the Mossberg is also BUILT TO LAST. I glad to see you put your Mossbergs through some grueling tests and that you have found them to be un-bustable.

I am tempted to contact Mossberg and ask them to do a torture test like some do with Glocks and put 100,000 rounds of full power buckshot or slugs through a 590A1, and run it til it dies. I would love to read that a 590A1 went one million rounds like those two famed Glocks did with 9mm!

The funny thing is, if the milspec gun ran 3000 rounds, and I am paying $8-$10 for a box of 5 buckshot rounds, nearly $2/round, is it safe to assume even buying bulk I'd pay $3000 for 3000 rounds?

Well, the funny thing is that I WILL NEVER SPEND $3000 on ammo, I just don't have that kind of cash, so I guess between bird shot and some buck here and there, my Moss will last my lifetime. Besides, I will no doubt buy a second Moss at some point, and between two or three Mossbergs, I doubt I'll ever be able to run enough ammo through them all to wear out one. I already know I want a pistol grip version and an 8+1 version, when cash permits.

Watermonkey, I read two posts by two fellows claiming to be LEO who said the saw dept. shotguns that had thousands and thousands of rounds through them "billions"of rounds fired through them, and abused heavily, and that the Rems held up better than the Mossbergs, and that the dept. Mossbergs were always needing repair. Hmmnnnn... sounds suspicious huh...

I have direct knowledge that LEO "handguns" are often used VERY LITTLE, so I too am skeptical about LEO shotguns having bajillions of rounds through them. If officers don't wanna shoot handguns any more than they must, I know they're not going to want to shoot full power shotty loads much. Many departments are also on a budget and I'm learning buck and slugs are EXPENSIVE, VERY EXPENSIVE.

So, like you, I'm skeptical, and hence my post here. I know that on this forum, among our thousands(?) of members, there are those who have shot thousands and thousands of rounds through their Mossy 500's and 590's, if a 500 can hold up, the 590 will hold up.

Gunnygene, Oldmossy, Akasavanaman, everybody, thanks for the input, welcomes, and comments. I look forward to reading more. It's a pleasure sharing info., experience, and knowledge among fellow Mossberg enthusiasts!!

You say you will never spend $3k on rounds.... now.

With all the practice and training I've done the past 2 years I've shot approx 5,000 shotgun, 1,200 rifle and 4,000 pistol (Pistol rounds have just been this year).

I'm at the range 2-4 times a month working on marksmanship and drills. I enjoy every aspect of the shooting sport.

Handgun thus far has been challenging but I'm starting to come around to zero in my shots consistently with the help of professional trainers.

I steered away from shotgun a little this year focusing on handgun marksmanship. But clay shooting sports brought me back. I LOVE skeet shooting. I'm still not very good at it but I really enjoy it when I nail a clay.

Remember to safeguard your firearm and be well regulated. Enjoy and be safe.

Water Monkey

My 500 and 835 have not been used to much by me. They are hunting guns and have had more rounds put through them patterning/sighting them in then they have seen in the field. Both were bough used and were broken in when I got them. The 835 was worn out, with a broken stock/forend and choke tube so rusted in I needed internal pipe wrenches to remove it. After a makeover it functions great. These guns can take a lot and keep going.

Slightly off topic but My 870 has seen many many 1000's of rounds without a hiccup. It was my do everything gun for 20+ years of hunting, skeet, etc. I've seen nothing that would indicate my Mossberg's will not function just as well.

I have 4 500's in the safe but only 1 really get the call for most of my shooting (Besides Trap that is)
"Bubba" was purchased used and looked like CRAP. It had obviously been shot and carried a whole lot.

The action is smooth as butter so after a a real good cleaning and putting on a C-Lect choked barrel, I painted the whole thing camo. It is my Goto, Hunting Skeet & Sporting clays gun. It gets SHOT A LOT!!!
It hardly ever gets cleaned and it just keeps working!!! I have EASILY put thousands of rounds through it and it had more than 10 hard years on it when I got it. It has been dropped, thrown, stepped on and was in my hand as I fell down a small cliff at my club. Thrown back to the top so I could climb back up.

Years ago when I was researching shotguns, before I bought my first one, I chose the 500 platform over the 870 platform from reviews that I had read. Considering what I have read and seen with the 870 express guns, I am glad that I went Mossberg and I have never looked back :cool:

A bit late to the party here but I'll throw my 2 cents into the mix.

I've already lost round count honestly. Its very uncommon for me to put less than 100 shells downrange minimum at any range outing. We mostly throw that Wally world 100 round value pack either #7 or 8 shot shells through ours. Its not uncommon for me to buy 4 of those and only come home with a a 25 shell box in my bag. Thats 375 shells per outing on average unless we were on a time crunch. In addition to that we put alot of 00 buck and slugs through ours as well but our shoulders usually say enough after about 50 max usually split between the two. I can say this with ease, I already have well over 2k through both of mine and both 500s were bought used so I have no idea how many the previous owners had thrown through them. Judging from the finish wear on the action bar and mag tube from the pump on each it was plenty before me.

Either has yet to fail and I doubt they will. Pumps in general are very reliable and have great longevity. Should your Mossberg fail they will make it right. Give customer services a call and it will be taken care of. You chose a great shotgun with the A1. As you already said yourself pick up a mag extension for an extra shot or two depending on which one you go with and still retain that slightly shorter 18.5 barrel advantage. S&J Hardware out of Canada makes a great combo kit that not only allows for an extra 2 shells of standard 2 and 3/4 size but also provides a sling and flashlight mount as well. I've considered picking up another Mossberg and the 590A1 just like yours is what I'm probably gonna go with when I do along with that S&J combo package.

With the Flashlight/sling mount combo.
http://sjhardware.com/store/modules.php ... cts_id=678

Without
http://sjhardware.com/store/modules.php ... cts_id=342

Best of luck and get out there and shoot the thing. The beauty of that is you have fun at the range, you get more proficient shooting your weapon and the action will start to slick up. Nothing wrong with that at all. Watermonkey is spot on, you can easily blow a fair bit of money on ammo before you ever knew it. Its money well spent when the time comes that you need that firearm and skillset to use it in a bad situation. Practice, practice, practice when ever possible. Again, best of luck.

Back