• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

How to Confiscate Your Mossberg 500

Makes you wonder first what were you doing to get the attention of a park ranger and second what would make them take your gun. I think I've see answer on this site before play stupid games win stupid prizes

I only read a little of it. The best answer I saw was:

"It doesn't cost $5 to make an AOW. It costs $200"

which is the correct answer.

Though I do not know if that was the answer to the question because I only read a little bit on the first page.

If you start with a FACTORY pistol gripped shotgun (ie; The Moss. Just in Case) it WILL only cost $5 for a stamp (AOW), if you convert a standard shotgun you end up with a SBS $200.

If you start with a FACTORY pistol gripped shotgun (ie; The Moss. Just in Case) it WILL only cost $5 for a stamp (AOW), if you convert a standard shotgun you end up with a SBS $200.

No disrespect intended, but that is incorrect.

The $5 tax stamp is for the transfer of an existing, registered AOW via an ATF Form 4. Conversion of even a factory pistol grip only shotgun to an AOW configuration constitutes the manufacture of a new AOW and will require an approved ATF Form 1 and a $200 tax stamp...

^ Lazy Eyed Sniper is correct.

To register and build (in that order) an AOW or SBS,unless you're a licensed manufacturer, is $200.

Build AOW $200

Transfer AOW $5

Could someone please tell me what AOW stands for. Something Ive probably already seen before, just not making the connection. I know SBS, and SBR, respectively.

Nevermind. Just came across my answer in another thread. Any Other Weapon. :oops:

Last edited:
Here's a further definition as classified by the NFA - Title II Weapons...

2.1.5 Any other weapon.

Firearms meeting the definition of "any other weapon" are weapons or devices capable of being concealed on the person from which a shot can be discharged through the energy of an explosive. Many "any other weapons" are disguised devices such as penguns, cigarette lighter guns, knife guns, cane guns and umbrella guns. Also included in the "any other weapon" definition are pistols and revolvers having smooth bore barrels designed or redesigned to fire a fixed shotgun shell. While the above weapons are similar in appearance to weapons made from shotguns, they were originally manufactured in the illustrated configuration and are not modified from existing shotguns. As a result, these weapons do not fit within the definition of shotgun or weapons made from a shotgun. The "any other weapon" definition also includes specifically described weapons with combination shotgun and rifle barrels 12 inches or more but less than 18 inches in length from which only a single discharge can be made from either barrel without manual reloading. The firearm most commonly associated with this portion of the definition is the Marble's Game Getter. The "any other weapon" definition excludes weapons designed to be fired from the shoulder that are not capable of firing fixed ammunition or a pistol or revolver having a rifled bore. However, certain alterations to a pistol or revolver, such as the addition of a second vertical handgrip, create a weapon that no longer meets the definition of pistol or revolver. A pistol or revolver modified as described is an "any other weapon" subject to the NFA because the weapon is not designed to be fired when held in one hand. As stated above, a pistol or revolver having a rifled bore does not meet the definition of "any other weapon" and is not subject to the NFA. It is important to note that any pistol or revolver having a barrel without a rifled bore does not fit within the exclusion and is an "any other weapon" subject to the NFA.

I stand corrected, the ones I've seen for sale said $5 transfer fee if you install on a factory pistol grip, my mistake.

@blacksmith no one ever said any of the gun laws make sense or are fair.

I wasn't around in 1934 when the NFA laws were made, but I imagine that since AOW is sort of a catch all category that doesn't exactly fit into any of the others, my opinion is they set the tax for $5 because so few weapons would actually be in the category.

That, and $5 would have been easier for the mere civies to scrape up so they wouldn't feel entirely left out.

$5 and $200 were both actually very astronomical taxes during the great depression. (I checked some of the online inflation calculators and the $200 tax was in the ballpark of $3500 at the time the law was enacted).

I stand corrected, the ones I've seen for sale said $5 transfer fee if you install on a factory pistol grip, my mistake.

That's how these situations happen.

Folks at gun shops trying to sell stuff without taking the responsibility of properly explaining the letter of the law. A shop can legally sell you many of the parts to make all kinds of illegal stuff. Always know what you're buying 'cause you'd be surprised how many folks don't know what they're selling...

Unfortunately, understanding NFA laws is difficult. Even from long time gun guys.

Mostly because there have been so many wives tales and misinformation out there for more than 2 generations now that dispelling those myths can be a full time job due to all the erroneous information out there.

But don't fret tunnug. No one is upset by your post, and I'd like to take a second and welcome you to Mossberg forums.

Back