• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

How to get rid of nuisance bear

John A.

Unconstitutional laws are not laws.
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
As the title says, is there any way you know that will deter a bear from your area, while not distracting to the other wildlife? Because I had hopes of deer hunting there this year in that area.

There is a young bear (a yearling) that has taken up residence near my tree stand and it does not seem to be staying very far away because it's coming and going by the camera several times a day now all around the clock and all of my other animal activity has stopped.

But state laws say that I cannot in any way shape or form harass the bear, or Heaven forbid harm it, so that eliminates most of my options.

State wildlife will do nothing as it has not been threatening to any of the nearby neighbors that I know of, other than dumpster diving, which is a problem in itself that I can't do anything about because I have no control of how often the sanitation dept runs or how long garbage sets outside of everyone elses house, but not uncommon in this area due to the over population of bears and their inability to sustain themselves without relying on human garbage, but is a topic for another day.

Just for the record, the no bears allowed sign didn't work. It ate it. You don't want to know where I found proof that it ate the sign, but take my word for it, it did.

Anyway, suggestions?

Short of running it out of the area with dogs (which would probably fall under harassment) and a few things I would not put into print here, I'm not sure what to do.

I know we've discussed this before and the laws in your area just plain suck when it comes to this type of issue.

The bear will stay as long as it doesn't feel threatened and there's food available. The state will change it's tune when some kid gets mauled. It's called the "tombstone mentality", which is a common affliction in bureaucracies.

Yeah, MikeD, the laws protecting the bear are excessive and stupid and get my blood boiling just thinking about it.

They have more rights than the landowner.

And, coincidentally, the state treats them as property and there was a guy fined $1000 last year for killing one that was on his land to "replace" the bear, but FORGET about the state reimbursing for damages that a bear causes.

Logic says that just maybe there was a REASON why they were all killed out here 100 years ago, but I digress.

Gunny, you are absolutely right. While I'm not feeding it, I have no control over what nearby landowners do (in regards to their garbage). So that much is out of the question.

I'm just wondering if there is anything I can do to make it feel unwelcome. The No Bears sign obviously didn't have any affect on it.

I have heard that they strongly dislike the smell of humans. I thought about hanging my undershorts and socks in a few choice tree's, but that probably wouldn't work. They have no natural fear of humans. They're taught from birth how to raid garbage cans, so if that doesn't seem to bother them, my shorts are near that bad. LOL

You might want to share this with your neighbors. ;)

animals-bear_spray-bear_repellent-bear-grizzly-grizzly_bear-rmcn510_low.jpg

I hear bears like heavy metal music. Like Saddam did....you're not harassing the bear, more like a free concert.....

But it could be a disco loving bear....
:rolleyes:

there is nothing you can do, that would be effective, that could not be construed as harassment or killing.

they don't understand reasoning, they don't know why a fence is there, they don't know what a border is. The only thing they know is the law of the jungle, your not allowed to practice the law of the jungle.

Get a bunch of blunts for your bow and rubber slugs for the 500 and make a less than lethal target range between your stand and his house....if he wonders through your target range he may get hit, which none of us want but he doesn't understand range rules either

Maybe you can report the bear for domestic terrorism....

First bears, now trespassers.

trailcam82714002_zpsf8b325db.jpg

I've seen the dog before recently in the private drive up to the property, so the guy likely lives close by too. There's only a few places nearby that I don't know the folks who live there in some rentals, so I may take a quiet drive and look around for where I see the dog and go have a little chat. There's no reason not to see all of the no trespassing signs that not only the state has posted along the borders of the State Forest, but also our families' signs along our property.

I was getting 150 pictures a day on the trail camera not even a month ago, and since Sunday, I have gotten a grand total of two pictures. One of the bear and the other of this joker.

What I worry about is maybe something illegal placed on or near the property boundary. It's fairly common for marijuana patches to be put on state/federal property, and the state owns a big portion of the adjoining property, but that doesn't mean they have to be put there either.

Dude obviously isn't squirrel hunting.

And I can't think of any reasons why you'd just walk through someone's property for no good reason. Where the camera was located, is at the boundary of at least 2 other posted properties BESIDES ours.

Every piece of adjoining property is posted and private property and no access (mostly for liability purposes), so there's no excuse not to know.

Good luck. Hope he's not some nutcase who's gonna go off on you, but you might want to be prepared, jic. Bring a friend along. :)

Not worried about it.

Besides, the law doesn't fool around with trespassers and warrants around here if he wants to push things that far. Otherwise, he can take my advice and stay out the easy way.

ok, your not seeing this right, I see the perfect solution to all your problems.

forget the chat, forget the cops, forget fish&wildlife......take a step back take a deep breath and you will see, two birds with one stone all in house....."free candy"

Back