• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

How to minimize 500 forend rattle

syncro87

Copper BB
Yes, I know, it is normal.

I was playing around today, and I think I've come up with an easy way to eliminate most of the rattle, in the event that you are bothered by it. Nothing is going to get rid of it 100%, nor should you want things that tight on a pump shotgun. Just throwing this out there because if you Google it, you get a gazillion hits on people complaining about it...and 99.9% of them end with no resolution.

So, with the disclaimer up front that your 500 is completely normal if it is a tad noisy, I submit this for those one percenters who feel they need to do something about it.

Oh, and one more thing. The firearm I used this "fix" on is a 500 Bantam with wood furniture. I can't speak to those with different stock and forend that don't use the action slide tube under the forend itself. Mine has the AST and you need this setup for my "fix" to work.

First, become familiar with how to disassemble and reassemble your 500. There are tons of videos on YouTube, for example, that show you how to do this.

Ok, so you know how to take it apart and put it back together.

Go to Hobby Lobby and buy one sheet of black color "Peel & Stick Craft Felt". I paid 99 cents at my local HL today for a 9" by 12" sheet. So you are risking a touch over a buck, with tax. The brand name I used is "Tree House Studio". It's maybe a millimeter thick, or so, and this is the beauty of it--fits the gap between action slide tube and mag tube without being too thick.

Found it online, the exact stuff I used:

http://shop.hobbylobby.com/products/9-x-12-black-stick-it-felt-rectangle-947028/

Cut 4 small squares out of the felt, maybe 1cm x 1cm square.

Carefully stick one piece to the inside of the action slide tube at 12 o clock and 6 o clock. You want the edge of the felt flush to the end of the tube. Two pieces per end.

RESIST the temptation to use more felt. If you use too much, it will become hard to cycle the shotgun. Too stiff. This is a case where less is more.

Reassemble the shotgun. Take care to slowly and gently slide the forend / action tube onto the magazine tube very carefully so you don't tear your felt off. Once you have it on, the slight pressure between the mag tube and action tube will serve to hold the felt properly. The key is to put them together carefully so you don't rip it off during reassembly.

The vast majority of your rattle should be gone. You are never going to get rid of the small amount from the bars.

Oh, one last thing. If your wood forend is clattering against the barrel when you grab it, you can also cut a thin sliver of felt, maybe an inch and a half or 2 inches long but only a few millimeters wide, and stick it into the narrow groove you can see on the upper part of the front end of the forearm. The spot where the forearm hits the metal if you twist it. This is optional. Most of the rattle comes from the action tube against the mag tube, so I only mention this second part incidentally.

You should now have reduced your clattery forend by around 75%. At least it worked for me. You'll at least have minimized it to where it will be less likely to rattle just carrying the 500 around.

You risk about a dollar and 10 minutes of your time. Not bad.

I'm not the type that goes out and shoots off 500 rounds in 10 minutes, so I can't speak to how the felt would hold up under high heat, high volume shooting.

Anyway, just throwing this out there because I see so many people ask about it, and seems nobody has much of a resolution. Someone can probably improve on my idea. I'd like to try it with some PTFE tape that had adhesive on one side, but I haven't found it locally although you can find it online.

Last edited:
Welcome aboard synch87 and thanks for posting your tip. I have a 590A1 with a Hogue forend and the rattle was even worse after the change. I added tape until it got harder to cycle and then backed off some. I think I'll switch to the felt when it wears out.

Who said it rattles... you sayin' it rattles... how dare you!;)

When I hear the rattle on my 590A1, I smile... cause I know she's gonna work no matter what crap I put it through. That said, there are those who like it a bit quiter, especially for hunting. Your felt solution is pretty nifty and should help the folks who are looking to tame the forend rattle of the 500/590, thanks for sharing!

A bit of rattle doesn't bother me, really...it was just the fact that there were so many threads about it around the web, and hardly any solutions found. So it got me curious to see what I could come up with. More the challenge of could it be fixed, rather than it needed to be fixed. lol.

Looks like there are some specialty tapes, foam tapes, and PTFE felts out there on the market. Some for medical applications, various industrial apps. Many of them are fairly pricey, so I won't be trying them out, but it would be interesting to have some fancy PTFE tape with about the same thickness as felt. You'd have enough thickness to dampen, and it would be super slippery for the action to slide. Some kind of foam tape with PTFE on one side and a high temp resistant adhesive on the other side would be ideal--or an adhesive backed PTFE felt. It exists, it looks like, but way too much cost and effort for a "problem" that isn't really enough to rate as a problem for most folks.

Great idea TY. I just turn my hearing aids down.;)
LMAO Mossy...good one!

I don't mind some rattle but the Hogue was real bad. I have it back to the Mossberg level of rattle now. Being an 18" barrel it is primarily for home defense and shooting, not hunting. The last thing I want in a dark house is to give away where I am because the Hogue forend is clanking away.

[QUOTE="carbinemike,

I don't mind some rattle but the Hogue was real bad. I have it back to the Mossberg level of rattle now. Being an 18" barrel it is primarily for home defense and shooting, not hunting. The last thing I want in a dark house is to give away where I am because the Hogue forend is clanking away.[/QUOTE]

All kidding aside,,,,I agree with ya.

Well, I found the Achilles heel in my idea, after playing around with it some more attempting to find a weakness.

As long as it's only dry lube on your pump action (area between mag tube and action tube), you're good. If much oil gets on the felt, the adhesive is not strong enough to hold and the little felt pieces eventually fall out when you cycle the action.

Now, the little felt strips along the top of the wood forend still work well.

Eh, yet again this is probably why Mossberg builds it the way they do. No way to eliminate the noise that would function reliably over time and under various conditions. Maybe a super thin teflon bushing/sleeve between the mag and forend tube, but that minimizes the clearance and would probably compromise reliability in extreme dirty conditions.

Something like this might work, but too expensive to test for me:

http://www.componentsupplycompany.c...bing-lw.html?gclid=CKn2ip3-oMECFUKCMgodeVEALw

This reminds me of a story my dad once told me. He had a car he was attempting to modify, and my grandfather said something to the effect that my dad must think he was pretty good as a layperson to out-think the entire team of trained automotive engineers who designed the car the way it came originally.

Some truth to this. It is the way it is for a reason. So much for me being mister smart guy. lol

Last edited:
Never noticed the rattle from any of my 500's :rolleyes:
I put my hunting guns through hell and a little rattle would be the least of my worries.
Considering that at times even I, need a second shot on a bird, I would be more concerned with something getting in the way of a smooth pump.
You are right though, many folks complain out there on the interweb and this would solve the problem for a whole bunch of them, I am sure.

I know mine does it but never notice it when in use. Couple elk seasons I was jumping them up in some super thick brush , so I loaded some 3" slugs and went after them with the 500 and never noticed the rattle beating the brush at all......I wouldn't want to fix it, part of the reliability of a 500

Mossberg addressed most of the rattle with the later model forend tubes, like the one shown below. I have a forend tube with a polymer insert that completely and utterly eliminated the rattle. I don't know if it is factory or not. I'll try to get some pictures later.

Back