• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

I bought the 835 Ulti Mag DC model in Max-5 today

rfjeff9

.22LR
I have been looking good for a Mossberg 500/535 in shadow grass recently. I figured I could swing the price tag on one of those and didn't really look for the 835 (a bit higher $ than I wanted to spend).

So I went into Academy Sports today to look at baseball cleats for one of the boys and found myself checking the gun rack also. I saw a gun in max-5 in the clearance rack and asked for a closer look.

Turns out it was the 835 made in 2014 according to the man. Duck Commander edition, even had the American Flag bandanna wrapped around it. Last one in the store for clearance sale at $299 with a $20 additional discount since it only had the Modified choke in the barrel, apparently the other two were lost. So it was up for $279.

I thought this was a really sweet deal, so bought it on the.spot. I don't know about the Duck Commander logo on the stock, but I didn't really expect to find a 500 or 535 for that price either.

That's a bargain all day long....pix?

Nice score...!!

Looking forward to pics and a range report......

20160229_153810_zps8lc8namz.jpg

Welcome to the 835 club! There's so much we can talk about!

Got to experiment with shot size/load and see what sort of pattern it does.

Can't wait, dang. I want to go shoot it right now.

Got to experiment with shot size/load and see what sort of pattern it does.

Can't wait, dang. I want to go shoot it right now.

Make sure you read up on the chokes, @Rossignol has made a couple great topics on them ....

I'm guessing that 835 comes with a more open waterfowl choke, perhaps in the area of .710. Maybe even rated for steel? If for steel it could be anywhere from .720 to .745.

Will you be hunting waterfowl or what else might you use it for?

I'm guessing that 835 comes with a more open waterfowl choke, perhaps in the area of .710. Maybe even rated for steel? If for steel it could be anywhere from .720 to .745.

Will you be hunting waterfowl or what else might you use it for?
Almost exclusively waterfowl and perhaps dove once or twice a year.

Also, any snake that I happen to see.

I did not see "steel" on the choke anywhere. I may just get a set and experiment.

Where are your choke threads?

This is the beginning of the thread;

http://www.mossbergowners.com/forum...ssberg-835-ulti-mag-pump-action-chokes.10431/

There's some questionable advice in there. Especially from me. And by "especially from me", I mean me. I had no idea what I was talking about. Like in the very first page where I suggested slugs for longer shots. In the 835. That's bad juju. There's some other misinformation. My bad. But we learn and stuff as we go.

Last edited:
It's around page three that I started adding my own patterns and photos. I added everything I could get a hold of including conversations with the people from the manufacturers.

I also found where I told someone accuchoke is cut for all Mossberg barrels. That's not true. The 835 and 935 both use accumag.

If I say something that sounds sketchy, please don't hesitate to ask and verify, because if it sounds sketchy it probably is sketchy.

Back