• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

I may have to jump ship....

its nice, but not $499 nice.

Still cheaper to get the ebay wood for 149 and a shockwave.

but still, damn nice to see factory wood.

MSRP $500

That's steep for what it is.

I don't want to sound like a broken record, but you can do a form 1 for a short barrel shotgun for less money and more useful because it can be shouldered.

870p-14in.png

MSRP $500

That's steep for what it is.

I don't want to sound like a broken record, but you can do a form 1 for a short barrel shotgun for less money and more useful because it can be shouldered.

870p-14in.png

Ask me how much money I have into the shockwave above, and it doesnt have any silly tactical crap on it.

its nice, but not $499 nice.

Still cheaper to get the ebay wood for 149 and a shockwave.

but still, damn nice to see factory wood.

I may be slightly out of the loop, but lets say one gets a "good" price on a shockwave, if they order one online for the low prices we see, it'll likely still end up being $350 or more out the door.

Then add $150 for a wood furniture set that wont fit and required modification.

Now you're at $500 plus still having to modify it.

FYI impact guns has the hardwood tac-14 listed on their site (not in stock yet) for $449, so, in actuality, its really only about $50-$75 more than any given "normal" in store price on a regular shockwave. I paid $375 for mine, then dumped a shit ton into it for all the add ons.

300 Is what I got my shockwave for. But then again I like modding my stuff.
actually you are right it will balance out in the long run

Last edited:
I'm just using "typical" pricing here but the cheapest I can find are buy it now's on GB for $310, plus $35 shipping, then most people will have to deal with a transfer fee.....so, thats $345+transfer unless you live near the 1 gun shop selling them for $310

The vast majority of prices I'm seeing are $350-$400, even buds, which is where I consistently find the lowest prices, are $369.00....plus shipping and transfer.

So, i'm still giving your comment the benefit of the doubt saying the average person MAY be able to get one for $350 out the door, when about 75% of the examples I just saw show it would be MORE than $350 out the door.

Ask me how much money I have into the shockwave above, and it doesnt have any silly tactical crap on it.

OK, what do you have in your shockwave?

Last summer, I paid $150 for my 870 magnum. Already had wood stock and handguard on it. Would be easy to pay the tax stamp and engrave it and chop the barrel. I'd still be in for under 4 bills, even counting the $200 tax stamp. If I were inclined.

BJdymvo.jpg

OK, what do you have in your shockwave?

Last summer, I paid $150 for my 870 magnum. Already had wood stock and handguard on it. Would be easy to pay the tax stamp and engrave it and chop the barrel. I'd still be in for under 4 bills, even counting the $200 tax stamp.

If it was as simple as just paying an extra $200 at the time you bought the shotgun, you may have somewhat of a comparable situation.

But filing NFA paperwork, especially if you don't already have a trust , or if you own one as an individual with the restrictions of owning it as an individual, and then the 9+ month wait, and the cost of engraving, we are comparing apples to oranges. Also, your situation may be slightly more point-proving than 90% of people, who will not necessarily get a hardwood 870 for $150.

the other point I was getting at with "ask me how much I have in my shockwave" was what I commented on up above. I promise I have more than $500 in mine given it was $400 out the door, making the furniture cost around $40-50, then the heat shield and pretty inner bits were another $65-$75, and getting exactly what I wanted from the factory for $450 would have been well worth it.

I don't have a trust. All 7 of my tax stamps have been done as an individual.

Engraving is ~$35. Tax stamp is $200 unfortunately.

edit: I'm not sure what "further" restrictions you're referring to owning as an individual, unless you're talking about loaning it out to other people. (which I don't do anyway).

I'm just not a huge supporter of paying for what should be legal to begin with :-(

Also, a trust would be necessary in my situation as I have a wife that lives with me, and would need to, and does have, access to ALL my firearms, as well as them being able to belong to her when I inevitably die.

If you want to "share" access with others, or allow them unlimited access with or without you, a trust would be preferred.

As for my tax stamps, I don't loan them out to anyone. Including family, unless I am present, and that is not considered a transfer, so that isn't an issue for me either.

Even without a trust, NFA items transfer tax free to a legal heir upon your demise on a form 5. ATF has allowances for legal operation of your estate. No need for a trust to give to your wife when you die.

This isn't about NFA or tax stamps.

The whole point of a tac14 and shockwave is because its not part of the NFA

This is about the Tac14 coming with wood furniture. I brought into it that at MSRP of 499 I could do better.

So don't try and derail the thread with NFA

This isn't about NFA or tax stamps.
The whole point of a tac14 and shockwave is because its not part of the NFA
This is about the Tac14 coming with wood furniture. I brought into it that at MSRP of 499 I could do better.
So don't try and derail the thread with NFA

Choices my friend are what makes the world go round. That's not exactly derailing the topic.

My point was you may could do as well or maybe better, and even probably for less money going a different route.

The tac14 exists solely to compete with the 590 shockwave. With wood, or without. Remington saw where Mossberg was and knew they were losing out on a niche market share.

Remington name and quality has taken a nosedive in the last several years anyway. Especially concerning MIM extractors and such.

In all honesty and fairness, I'm struggling to remember the last time that Remington actually released anything new and good on their own. The R51 comes to mind, but that's probably not a subject that Remington wants to highlight.

Choices my friend are what makes the world go round. That's not exactly derailing the topic.

My point was you may could do as well or maybe better, and even probably for less money going a different route.

The tac14 exists solely to compete with the 590 shockwave. With wood, or without. Remington saw where Mossberg was and knew they were losing out on a niche market share.

Remington name and quality has taken a nosedive in the last several years anyway. Especially concerning MIM extractors and such.

In all honesty and fairness, I'm struggling to remember the last time that Remington actually released anything new and good on their own. The R51 comes to mind, but that's probably not a subject that Remington wants to highlight.

Zero issues with my 870P, which has lots of rounds through it. So thats not really a concern for me. I would much prefer to keep the same manual of arms and dare I say, even parts interchangeability.

I've never been a mossberg shotgun guy, I just so happen to own one because the shockwave was a $15 cheaper, came with +1 capacity, and i was gonna have to make wood for whichever one I got, either way.

Also just came across a website that had the hard wood tac 14 listed at $425, so, we are continuing to close the gap. Even at $450, which is likely more realistic, its still pretty close. It cost me about $50 to make my wood furniture, and it took several days to do so, which puts the costs right in line, and unfortunately I did it on a firearm that was a compromise anyway :-(

We'll see if I jump ship, I have no issues with my 590, but if I can get what I want in an 870, it makes more sense to me to have two of the same shotgun.

Back