• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

I need advice: 590A1 Safety is very hard to actuate

I've had a lot of guns, but this is my first mossberg. Like my BPS, it has a tang safety (which I love), but unlike my BPS, this safety is tough to actuate. So much so that even under stress, I can see my finger slipping off trying to deactivate it (not good). It almost seems like it's getting hung up, but I'm not sure. From a legal standpoint, I'd rather not tamper with the safety by trying to file off a bur or something.

I thought it might loosen up with some dry practice over the last week, but it hasn't. Is it something that just takes a long time to break in, or will it likely stay that way? I know there are aftermarket alternatives, but I'd rather try to keep it stock. If anyone has any experience with this issue I'd appreciate your feedback.

Have you tried a drop of oil under the selector and work it a while?

There is a spring loaded ball bearing detent that holds the selector in place. I imagine the little spring and ball bearing is just new, but a drop of oil may help

I'm having a similar problem with my new never fired 590. I disassembled my 590 to give it a good cleaning plus to install a steel extended safety switch. After reassembly, the switch will not engage the safe position. It's locked up and will not budge. It worked find before I monkeyed with it.

I've installed this same steel switch on three other Mossbergs without problems. The only change this time is I lost the factory detente ball bearing and replaced it with a 3/32" ball bearing.

Any help you can give us will be appreciated.

Have you tried a drop of oil under the selector and work it a while?

There is a spring loaded ball bearing detent that holds the selector in place. I imagine the little spring and ball bearing is just new, but a drop of oil may help

Yes, I should have mentioned that. I had a little bit of oil (liquid Froglube, actually) that I allowed to work into the safety, but it didn't help.

It definitely looks like it would solve the problem, but I'm still trying to find another solution because when something is easier to actuate because it protrudes more, it's also easier to actually accidently if something bumps into it or it falls. It's not likely, but they surely built it without the extra leverage for a reason.

If you take out the trigger assembly does it move easier?
The reason I ask is if the safety block is binding against the trigger assembly connector it will be hard to move back and forth.
Easy enough to check.

If it does not free up the safety I would take the safety screw out and inspect and clean.
(Be careful when you remove screw,spring loaded)

Keep us posted.

One other thing comes to mind,,,,have you done anything as far as changing the stock?

No, I haven't taken the trigger assembly out, nor have I taken the stock off. I haven't done anything but cycle the action and shoot snap caps. I did take the forend off and replace it with a Magpul, but it was rubbing so I put the original back on. That's literally it. I haven't fired it yet either.

Gun owner 101:
Step one with ALL new guns.

Disassemble - Clean and Lube all moving parts!

Remove that safety.
Inspect for any anomalies,clean and lube. The ball may be hanging up. The safety screw may be torqued to tight. There may be burrs. The spring may have issues. The detent plate may be missing or have issues.

Take it apart and let us know what you find.
Good luck!

I hope this will help someone:

The safety on my 590 worked well when it was brand new, but it locked up on me after I changed to the S&J Industries over-sized safety. With the slide in the full open position, I would remove the safety screw and remove the switch slide and found the aluminum screw block would not move to the rear without it's butt-end tilting down towards the inside of the receiver. I would hold the screw block with one hand and reinstall the safety with the other hand. The safety would locked up completely in the on-position. I would reassemble the Mossy and work the action and the safety for some time. I had oiled, greased, dissembled and reassembled the safety switch many times and got quick at doing a complete breakdown and reassembly. :>) I even tried reinstalling the original safety and I couldn't get it to work either.

With the S&J Safety installed and after a few more times dissembling my Mossy, I did a reassemble and cranked down on the safety screw, something "moved/popped" and found the screw had a few more threads remaining. I found I could slide the switch a small bit. I then backed off the screw's tightness. I found this had loosen things a little more. The switch would go almost to the ON position, but would not lock the trigger. I would hold the switch rearward while pulling the trigger. I could feel the safety move under my thumb as I pulled the trigger. I kept doing this; loosening and tightening the screw and working the switch until the safety started to work and would lock the trigger when in the on position. Ooo-Rah! I'm not messing with it now since it is working as it should.

While I like the S&J Industries safety switch, I like this one a little better: http://www.ebay.com/itm/121493494813?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT I have this one installed on my M590A1. I have had no problems with my M590A1.

I heard back from Mossberg this week and they are sending me prepaid shipping label to send it back to them. Hopefully this gets resolved soon and I'll let people know the results.

One other thing comes to mind,,,,have you done anything as far as changing the stock?
No. I have made no changes. I briefly added a magpul forend, but I replaced it with the original factory cob. In my hands, it has more grip and prevents my hands from sliding off way better than the stops on the Magpul version. The only advantage I can see for the latter is the ability to mount a light, but liking the cob style so much, I ordered the Elzetta light mount which works excellent for mounting my Surefire 6px Tactical light. I do think I am going to get a magpul stock eventually, however, but as of yet it sports the OEM.

Gun owner 101:
Step one with ALL new guns.

Disassemble - Clean and Lube all moving parts!

Remove that safety.
Inspect for any anomalies,clean and lube. The ball may be hanging up. The safety screw may be torqued to tight. There may be burrs. The spring may have issues. The detent plate may be missing or have issues.

Take it apart and let us know what you find.
Good luck!

Yeah, I did that and everything looks fine but it still sticks. Mossberg is paying for the shipping to fix it. They said it's an easy fix and that I could just take it to a local gunsmith, but I also want them to address another problem I am having with the Magpul forend which took some of the finish off the magazine. I contacted Magpul who pointed the finger at Mossberg saying that they are inconsistent with the diameter of their magazines. I told Mossberg this and they told me to send them everything and they'll look at it.

No. I have made no changes. I briefly added a magpul forend, but I replaced it with the original factory cob. In my hands, it has more grip and prevents my hands from sliding off way better than the stops on the Magpul version. The only advantage I can see for the latter is the ability to mount a light, but liking the cob style so much, I ordered the Elzetta light mount which works excellent for mounting my Surefire 6px Tactical light. I do think I am going to get a magpul stock eventually, however, but as of yet it sports the OEM.

Light? I hope my tangos are kind enough to place a beacon on their weapon so I know exactly where to place my ordinance!

Light? I hope my tangos are kind enough to place a beacon on their weapon so I know exactly where to place my ordinance!

You don't use a light. Ok....now how about some positive contribution to the topic at hand, instead of busting balls.

You don't use a light. Ok....now how about some positive contribution to the topic at hand, instead of busting balls.

I apologize, I wasn’t trying to bust balls. Just a little frustrated that so many have bought into the accessory genre, when in my opinion, light and noise discipline should exalted above all else in a home defense scenario.

Back