• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

I would like to buy a 590 but have a few questions

Gnfanatic

Copper BB
hey guys, new member here. Planning to purchase a 590 at a local shop and have a few questions. It will be my first shotgun and will be used primarily for home defense.
I understand there are several different models of the 590, such as the SPX. But if you are planning to upgrade several things on the gun such as the stock, picany rails etc etc aren't I better off purchasing a basic, bone stock 590 not to waste money?? I am still trying to figure out if I want a pistol grip or not??

I appreciate any comments and tips for helping me out on my first purchase.

thanks!

Welcome aboard.

Your best option is to find the factory model that already has the most features that you're looking for. The less you have to change the better. Best advice I can give you is to get used to shooting it before you start spending money on "upgrades" you might not need or even like once they're added...

One thing to keep in mind about the Mossberg 590 is that the controls are primarily set up for a stock without a pistol grip. If you put a pistol grip your fingers will not be able to reach the safety button and the action lever (I looked up correct terms in the manual). Plenty of folks put pistol grips on their Mossbergs and it works for them. My advise is to try it out find out what works for you before buying.

Just my opinion, but all a pistol grip does is get in the way. I have an older 590 Mariner with the standard stock. I've also used other shotguns, including military issue, and have never felt that a pistol grip was in the least bit desirable. Perhaps, because it's almost impossible to deliver a butt stroke while holding a pistol grip - and there are times when a well placed butt stroke is quite useful. :)

Also you might read this from the Box 'O Truth, Fighting with a shotgun. Not all you should know, but a good introduction : http://www.theboxotruth.com/educational-zone-83-fighting-with-a-shotgun/

Last edited:
I'll second what Lazy Eyed Sniper and Gunny Gene posted. Great advice! I'll throw in that the a Mossberg 500 will be plenty robust for what you want, cost less and probably be easier to locate the model you want. If you have your heart set on a 590, go for it. Keep us posted!

My thoughts after purchasing a 590A1 a couple of years ago.

I'm glad I bought the 20". I hardly notice the difference from my 18.5" in the narrow halls of my home and I like the extra 2 shells the tube gives.

I like the metal trigger guard and safety. Just comfort factor for me there. I've never heard of polymer ones failing.

The length of pull on the standard Mossberg stocks is pretty long. I'm 6'2" and it's about at the end of my comfort level and well beyond my wife and son's.

I could live without the heavy barrel. I don't hike with it or anything but it's probably not required for my purposes so it's just extra weight.

I could live without the ghost ring sights. They're fine and they're accurate but I'm faster with a standard bead sight.

I have no use for a heat shield, pistol grip, sling, or bayonet on a shotgun so I have no experience with them.

I did change out my forend with a Magpul but only because I wanted to try out the integrated hand stops. Recent change but I like it so far.

I'll swap the stock eventually for something with a shorter length of pull.

I may get a side saddle as well but I like it pretty lean and 8 + 1 is nothing to sneeze at.

I'm also thinking about a light.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back