• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Ice fishing!

MikeD

I'm Your Huckleberry
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
"Philanthropist"
Anyone else like to get out on the ice and catch a few?

I'll be heading up Houghton Lakes annual Tip-Up-Town this weeknd here in MI. The weathers been sketchy this year but they are supposed to have enough ice to fish. Hoping to get some ice time and pull in a few bluegils, perch, pike or a walleye.

I've never caught any real monsters through the ice but I catch a enough to keep me going back.

Info for those that are unfamiliar with this local tradition: http://www.tip-up-townusa.com/

Edit:
Sorry looke like they haven't updated the page in a while try these:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Tip-Up-Town-USA/167037268994
http://www.houghtonlakechamber.net/tipuptown.php

Was in Eastern Oregon and drove out onto a lake that the guys I was with been out on and fished many times. We got the auger through the ice and no water came up. I was new enough to it that I didn’t even think about it till they started freaking out to get back in the truck. Then I caught on that there was no water holding up the ice…..apparently the water had been let out after the top froze over. We were on an ice sheet suspended some 30 feet above what water was left we found out later. We were about 500 yards out on it so yeah I was crapping my pants.

Wow. I would have been feeling the same way as you if I was there. I've heard of there being a few inches of air gap but that is crazy. I'd like to see pics from the underside. It's kind of a cool phenonenon as long a you're not the one involved.

I usually won't go out unless there is 5+ inches of ice. I have friends that will drive their trucks out if there are 6"+ My dad fell through fishing on a river last year. I try to avoid any place that has strong currents, it can leave to many thin spots I prefer to err on the side of caution.

We were out one day last year and you could hear the pressure cracks running through the ice like gun shots. We were on about 12-15" so I wasn't worried about going through but it was freaking my friend out pretty good.

Last year we were drilling though 12"-24"+ most of the time.

I call it a lake but it was an irrigation pond that was about 30 acres. The ice was about 10 inches thick or so where we were……not sure why the water was let out.

Fished all day Saturday on about 6-8" of Ice. We caught two pick on tip-ups but neither were big enough to keep. My friends son caught a small perch and that was the take for the whole day. We decided to do some snowmobiling rather than fish on Sunday. But I'll be back again next weekend to try it again.

oli700 said:
Was in Eastern Oregon and drove out onto a lake that the guys I was with been out on and fished many times. We got the auger through the ice and no water came up. I was new enough to it that I didn’t even think about it till they started freaking out to get back in the truck. Then I caught on that there was no water holding up the ice…..apparently the water had been let out after the top froze over. We were on an ice sheet suspended some 30 feet above what water was left we found out later. We were about 500 yards out on it so yeah I was crapping my pants.

I would have pooped myself no doubt. I havent been out on the ice since I was about 12 but it was always load of fun running out the the middle of the lake on the snowmobiles check the tip up and then race the sleds back to the cabin.

I've never actually been. My uncle has a 'hut' that he built that is really roomy and can fit 4x 6'+ people in plus gear. I've been asked to go a few times, but I've always had to work when they go. May have to make some time next year to experience that since I finally work where I have weekends off (when I don't get called in).

Oli .. that is freaking crazy man. Sure would be cool to see pictures from the underside, but that's about as close as I'd be willing to get. Glad you made it out ok. I mean, who else would entertain us with your epic tales? :lol:

Lol, I never even looked, could have been 5 feet to water for all I know and since they were hard core fishermen it was probably over exaggerated lol, either way it gave me that bad feeling you get when thing are about to go bad….fear , life preserving fear lol

Back