• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

"If I am shot down, I will regret absolutely nothing"

mingaa

Raconteur
OHQDVmefViK_S1xn9Oun8AZB00VcrPSgf3MuGfNSxC0-fMz52hDrOmuZxD05PMXTTeDzhWhM5E6Qgfx7geLVk95gPQI1SDD_972EViN8DjD7LU6lQnW3lmGgfwzaVX81Cp2McQcJkjM=s0-d-e1-ft

CAEN.- A picture taken at the Memorial of Caen, northwestern France, shows the gloves, watch and oxygen mask of French author and aviator Antoine de Saint-Exupery. "If I am shot down, I will regret absolutely nothing", the last written words by Saint-Exupery, before taking off on a solo mission on July 31, 1944, have maintained the mystery of his disappearance. A half-century later, the discovery of his plane off the coast of Marseille in southern France, and the testimony of the German pilot who shot him down, helped elucidate the mystery. AFP PHOTO / MYCHELE DANIAU.

Looks like he had his 1911 with him on the trip! Liked the photo - had to share!

More on the Museum at Normandy here:
http://normandy.memorial-caen.com/

Nice little piece of history right there. Thanks for posting.

I know that there is a mystique and romance about American men who served in the Second World War, but it obviously applies to brave men from many nations who went forth to battle the Axis powers.

Men who didn't even know they were going to one day be called The Greatest Generation were really something.

Thanks for sharing! :)

I have to disagree about the 1911 because those mags look much smaller (compare to the size of the gloves). Maybe some kind of 7.65mm? (32ACP) Or smaller?

Little snippets from the war are often more interesting than the bigger picture.

Back