• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

If you could only have one rifle would it be the MVP?

We encountered the issues when shooting from different positions, both from cover, partially under cover or rapid shooting from a partially supported position. Someone, I don't remember if it was here pointed out the aluminum mag well from tromix. It resolved the mag stability issues and as far as I know the bolt stopped skipping. We also replaced the plastic trigger guard as that was begging to be broken especially during our demo process.

Honestly though my concern now is the rifle not resetting after pulling the trigger.. I don't see Mossberg being helpful at all about this.
I was gonna do a writeup on this thing when I had a chance.. probably when it gets warmer and I have some free time.

As for accuracy a 16" barrel should be plenty fine for 100-200 yard shooting. And in my case we tested @ 100yds. On a completely unrelated note I have an SBR AR with a 10.5 barrel that is good out to 200 yards.. Never took it further.

If I had a choice, the MVP would not be my "only rifle". I need to sell mine since I never shoot it anymore.

I was amazed at the thump that my 7.62 mvp gave my already bad shoulder. I shot the gun well but could only shoot 10 at an outing. I added a Lantac Dragon muzzle break which made a world of difference in the way it shoots but doesn' make me many friends on the firing line.:)

Thank you. I've been a member for awhile now but read more than I post.

I really like my patrol rifle but it definitely needed the muzzle brake for me to enjoy shooting it. I haven' really found a scope that is suitable thou. I added a scope that some mvp patrol rifles come equippd with from the factory with thinking they would match up better than it does. Overall, I'm pleased with my setup but it isn' perfect.

I've enjoyed reading through the old posts and look forward to learning the new tricks of the Mossberg trade.

Last edited:
Definitely would not be the MVP. An older Remington 700, a Savage or almost anything else. Have had my MVP LR in 7.62 for a couple of years now and have never gotten it to work reliably. First time I took it to the range if fired about 5 rounds then failed to fire no matter how hard you squeezed the trigger. Recycle the action, fresh round and maybe it would shoot, maybe not. I spent hours trying to get sighted in and go through 1 box of shells before I finally gave up. At the time it seemed as though something was blocking the trigger. Contacted Mossberg, sent it in, got it back doing the exact same thing. They had put in a new trigger saying they had problems with the original, but they hadn't gotten in "the new trigger design" yet. Well after getting it back and having the same problem, I put in a Timney trigger BUT, still have the same problem. Think as someone mentioned the bolt isn't resetting the trigger. I'm tired of trying to get this turd to work and would pick anything OTHER THAN an MVP for my one rifle. Thankfully I have enough other rifles that do work that I don't have to worry about it. It just irritates me that I spent this kind of money on a rifle I have yet to get through a box of shells with. But it looks like it might make a nice jack handle.

BigSky, hopefully someone on the forum can help you with a solution. It sucks to have a gun that doesn't work, especially a new gun.

Oh, and welcome to the forum.

BigSky, hopefully someone on the forum can help you with a solution. It sucks to have a gun that doesn't work, especially a new gun.

Oh, and welcome to the forum.

Thanks and Yes it's like buying a new car that they don't allow you to test drive. And after you buy it finding out it won't start. This MVP LR is still sitting on the lot, but unlike Mossberg I won't sell a rifle that doesn't work. Even get rid of it. Shame there isn't a lemon law on firearms. Bought this for an Elk hunt some years back, but ended up using the old Remington .270 this was supposed to replace. Should have left well enough alone.

Last edited:
Back