• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

I'll show you mine if you show me yours! 590 photo thread!

I love this shotgun! Its a heavy duty workhorse built to last a lifetime or two......okay more like three! First off I wanted something practical in terms of home defense. I think that the controls on this shotgun are in the perfect place, so it was a no brainer for me to start the build with a Mossberg 590.I chose the 590 over the 500 because it can accept extensions and is easily cleaned. So I'm going to just let you guys know why I went with the parts I did. I debated on 20 or 18.5" 590A1's but I opted for the 18.5" with a +2 extension.......at 1.5" inches shorter and only one less round than the 20" it made sense to me. The fluted barrel helps a bit with cooling supposedly and weight (SLIGHTLY) plus it just looks plain Bad A$$ with the porting in the flutes!

Modifications

18.5" fluted barrel that has been ported, forcing cone lengthened, and back bored by Vang Comp Systems.
XS Tritium Big Dot front sight installed by Vang Comp Systems.
S&J +2 extension with hi-viz orange CNC machined DuPont delrin follower.
Wolff Extra power magazine spring.
Magpul SGA rear stock and M-Lok forend (soon to be stippled by me).
Magpul 870 recoil pad adapter.
Limbsaver recoil pad.
Surefire Mini Scout 300C, 300 lumen weapon light on an aluminum magpul M-Lok cantilever mount.
Brownells enhanced Safety.

Modifications Below have not been installed or performed(will be soon).

Surefire Pressure switch for scout light and Magpul M-Lok Surefire ST switch illumination kit.
Blue Force VCAS padded sling with Knights Armament QD's.
SOE Velcro shotgun cards (6 rounds), Esstac Velcro Shotgun Cards (5 rounds).
Magpul Sling QD sling mounts for rear of stock.
Magazine tube honed with Flex-hone for smooth feeding and reliability.
S&J sling mount for +2 extension.

VCS treatment, I was debating between Aimpro and Vang comp but Aimpros track record steered me away from them. Lets face it Vang comp knows shotguns and their customer service rocks (Thanks Gumby if your reading this). I opted for the whole shebang......I believe its a system and if your missing one part (porting) then its not the best it can be. That being said I can see why people stay away from ports as this sucker is LOUD. But that's okay because I normally shoot with earpro. In an HD role I know that you want to retain all the hearing you can but this trade off is worth it in the smallish chance that I have to use it in that role. The ports also reduce or breakup the muzzle flash at night to retain more of your night vision. That being said it is an awesome system and I would do it again and again, NO REGRETS.

The XS big dot is a really well thought out design for short range HD work. Its big and its FAST! I love beads for HD. I'm sure its not too bad with slugs at a distance either but hey that's not what It was designed for.

The S&J +2 extension just plain works! plus its made from a solid piece 4140 steel and parkerized to match the factory finish.

The Magpul stock and forend are amazing and VERY well thought out. Its fully adjustable for LOP and cheek riser height for those of you that run optics or ghost ring sights. The stock has awesome ergonomics and working the safety and action lock is very natural and smooth. The forend is very well built just like the stock, it has built in hand stops and M-Lok slots where I need them and you can attach anything you want or need. Its a simple light and sturdy forend.

The limbsaver recoil pad and VCS allows you to shoot all day!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Surefire mini scout is (I think) perfect for a shotgun. Its light, durable, and you can mount it on anything as there is a lot of aftermarket support. 300 lumens could be a tad on the bright side but I haven't found it to be too much of an issue. I like my light on the forend, I want to control the light easily (still have to install pressure switch). I mounted it on the right side because I'm going to put the pressure switch on the left side. Plus I could see my thumb getting whacked by the light or mount. Yeah I could have bought a surefire forend but for me it seemed clunky, heavy, and no hand space!

Brownells enhanced safety is probably one of my favorite modifications. Lets face it there is nothing worse then having the safety on when it needs to be off. IMHO this particular safety is the best one out there. The ridge allows easy, intentional, positive engagement with or without gloves on.

IMG_0353.JPG IMG_0354.JPG IMG_0355.JPG IMG_0352.JPG IMG_0356.JPG

Last edited:
You mentioned the flash and the porting, I had at one time posted side by side pics of 20" guns, one with VCS and one without, firing identical loads. The difference was very noticeable. I don't know that they're still visible on the site, I'll try and find them.

You'll love and appreciate the tritium bead. I most recently used mine at night to shoot a feral cat about 35 yards out when all I could see were its eyes in my light. It was a clean kill with 00. It is a fast bead day or night.

I also really like that cantilever mount. They weren't available when I set mine up so I used/use a CDM Gear mount as far forward as I could get it with a remote switch.

I'll be watching for more as you shoot it to see how it's all working for you!

Finally I took a picture of my 590 Mariner. Just a gun as it was made by the manufacturer without any addons & updates:
IMG_1278_zpspslbjmxa.jpg

a1.jpg a2.jpg First post. I have been a Mossberg fan since I started shooting (I'm a southpaw). This is my new hd shotgun. I'm not crazy about the color/pattern but it was marked less than the black one and I'm know to be cheap at times! I like to keep things simple. I will most likely add a light, sling and Velcro side saddle (card). I might go with magpul furniture. I handled one and it felt great. I took it out for the first time about a week ago. Ran 50 slugs and 50 #4 and 00 buck through it. It shot great. The only problem I had was the front sight was very crooked. I called mossey and they sent a new barrel right away. It's still a bit off but good enough for a shotgun I guess.

Last edited:
Welcome to Mossberg Owners! Sorry to hear of your troubles, if the sight is still off, don't hesitate to press the issue with OFM.

I really like the kryptek paint!

590A1.jpg
Welcome to Mossberg Owners! Sorry to hear of your troubles, if the sight is still off, don't hesitate to press the issue with OFM.

I really like the kryptek paint!
I might bring it up to them. It's much better than the first one. I can't believe the first sight passed qc! must have been a Friday afternoon. They were very good about sending out a new one.

The first front blade is pictured above.

Did they replace the entire barrel or just the front blade?

If the dovetail cut is crooked, then any replacement blade would be crooked as well...

View attachment 8463 View attachment 8464 First post. I have been a Mossberg fan since I started shooting (I'm a southpaw). This is my new hd shotgun. I'm not crazy about the color/pattern but it was marked less than the black one and I'm know to be cheap at times! I like to keep things simple. I will most likely add a light, sling and Velcro side saddle (card). I might go with magpul furniture. I handled one and it felt great. I took it out for the first time about a week ago. Ran 50 slugs and 50 #4 and 00 buck through it. It shot great. The only problem I had was the front sight was very crooked. I called mossey and they sent a new barrel right away. It's still a bit off but good enough for a shotgun I guess.

Welcome! congrats on the scattergun! I love KISS......keeps me in line lol. Im a huge fan of making something better though. In my eyes the three most important things on a defensive shotgun is first a light (you need to be able to identify threats), second is a sling (you need to be able to use your hands, I don't want to sit down the weapon to pick up my daughter or son.) and third of course is more ammo.......! The Magpul shotgun furniture is amazing! Very ergonomic and purpose built! Check out the Brownells enhanced safety.....love it!

My 500 was a little too long and pretty (with its wood furniture) for a trunk gun and I was frankly a little concerned about breaking it at the stock screw (aluminium receiver and all). Could be overly cautious of me, but this gave me an excuse to make that gun my new reassuring bedside friend and to buy a 590 to bounce around in my car. Went with the 590 because with what I paid a smith to unscrew my crazy-tight (loctited) 500's magazine tube I figured that the extra $100 for one I could take down and clean thoroughly myself was justified.

This gun looks more 'tacticool' (not that there is anything wrong with that - learned to use disclaimers here), which is not really my thing, but it's just more practical that way. Excellent Hogue Tamer kit and same Surefire / L&M mount deal as on my 500 make it bulletproof. With a pistol grip and a shorter weapon I prefer the traction of rubber. Also a Wolff Heavy Duty mag spring for that one just because. The case is a simple Bulldog one with 2 outside pockets (1 for slugs and 1 for buck). And that length (about 30") is much more appropriate to my crowded trunk, even if I'm otherwise no big fan of pistol grips in general.

Firearms, like cars and many other man toys, have both practical and aesthetic aspects. Sometimes I go for one and other times more for the other, depending on the use and circumstances, as we all do, trying to find a balance between what's appealing to me and what will do the job best. Trying not to get too much ego invested in any one setup regardless of how much better some fit my particular mindset.

And as usual, I managed to make HD cam pics look like crappy cell shots, but you guys all know what a 590 looks like!

590 1.JPG590 2.JPG 590 3.JPG

Back