• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

illegitimate love-child

rkcohen

Copper BB
so recently i had an itch for a 30-30 truck gun like the one i had back in '73.

I looked around locally at some winchester and marlin 94s – and i immediately fell to the ground shaking and twitching when i saw the prices for generally rough guns and nib type guns on places like gunbroker....

who knew a 30-30 would come to demand prices similar to ming dynasty porcelain or renaissance art?

if i'm recalling correctly, i think in '73 i paid about $95 bucks for a plain beech stocked winchester - only to cough up $125 about a month later for a marlin that to my young eyes had wood mined from an italian marble quarry - this is back when you could still get guns from montgomery wards!

both guns i kept for a good long time, giving one to a brother and trading my marlin years later for a rem 700 in 30-06.

which has long left me bereft of a 30-30. i do have more lever-guns than i need (my wife's words) - but no 30-30..

having abandoned hope and just looking around one day - as luck (dumb) would have it, i walked right into a recreation of that long lost truck gun of yore!

look at it as the forbidden love between two teenagers from opposite sides of the tracks and that union being that offspring doomed to never be loved by either side...

at a few bucks over $500 - i snapped it up after having first examined it.

skinny as a thirteen year old's arm and as plain as a base model 1963 studebaker lark, i bought a mossberg 464!

it has a bolt of a marlin, the action of a winchester and the simple honesty of a young girl with no make-up bringing you a home-baked apple pie...

the sights are useless for my eyes, the usual elevator rear and the front has a brass bead perched on a tall blade that is only slightly thinner than a politician's promised - it might bend if struck by a large butterfly!.

this iron sight problem is soon to be rectified by a minimalist peep rear and a sturdy slant partridge post, both supplied by our friends at skinner sights.

fortunately it came with mounting points installed for swivel attachments – an extravagance on so simple a machine.

now it's time to do a detailed clean/lube before going to the range to do a zero and looking around for anything on the 'net that describes how to disassemble the gun and maybe figure out how to "massage" the trigger, which while a little heavy - still breaks like a white man's treaty with an indian tribe..

....first i have to go sell my blood in order to afford a few boxes of factory 30-30...

pictures to come!

Welcome, rk, to Mossberg Owners from E TN.
index.php

I hereby award you the Jan '21 prize for Simile and Metaphor Master of the Month. Thanks a bunch!

:perfect:

Welcome to the Lever Lovin’ Lead Lobbers!

I learned a bit about gunsmithing by owning a model 464 Mossberg.

It is way tighter than my friend’s Win model 94. Too tight! Break it in gently is my advice.

Bolt and extractor like grease a lot. Mine feels dry after only 10 shots.

Watch the wear mark from hammer on the bolt for drag, and fit up of lockbolt to lever for rough machining. I dressed the top of the hammer & the slot in the lever.

I tightened the stamped mainspring link by reshaping it a little, as I sometimes got a light strike. it’s length and fitment is critical to reliability. It would move position a bit if I inverted the gun, changing the action. I dressed up some roughness on that part too, plus its anchor hole in the receiver.

Roughness of stamped lever safety, behind the trigger, was causing the lever to hesitate to close 100%. I dressed it.

Buy a spare extractor. If you get a round stuck in the chamber. It can easily rip at the fold. You can ruin the new one if you try to put it on incorrectly. Snap it onto the bolt at the thinnest point, and then rotate it up until it fits into it slot.

There’s about 10 or 20 old posts about the stuff if you look At my old model 464 posts.

still selling my blood, hope soon to have enough for a single box of 30-30..

was looking at ammo on gunbroker and realized i would have to save up at least 10% for a down-payment!!

I was looking at gunbroker just last night. The good thing, they seem to have plenty. But, it is very pricey. I passed, at least for the time being.

Back