• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Immigration bill = National database

GunnyGene

Racist old man
BANNED
What could possibly go wrong with this? :x

The immigration reform measure the Senate began debating yesterday would create a national biometric database of virtually every adult in the U.S., in what privacy groups fear could be the first step to a ubiquitous national identification system.

Buried in the more than 800 pages of the bipartisan legislation (.pdf) is language mandating the creation of the innocuously-named “photo tool,” a massive federal database administered by the Department of Homeland Security and containing names, ages, Social Security numbers and photographs of everyone in the country with a driver’s license or other state-issued photo ID.

Employers would be obliged to look up every new hire in the database to verify that they match their photo.

This piece of the Border Security, Economic Opportunity, and Immigration Modernization Act is aimed at curbing employment of undocumented immigrants. But privacy advocates fear the inevitable mission creep, ending with the proof of self being required at polling places, to rent a house, buy a gun, open a bank account, acquire credit, board a plane or even attend a sporting event or log on the internet. Think of it as a government version of Foursquare, with Big Brother cataloging every check-in.

“It starts to change the relationship between the citizen and state, you do have to get permission to do things,” said Chris Calabrese, a congressional lobbyist with the American Civil Liberties Union. “More fundamentally, it could be the start of keeping a record of all things.”

For now, the legislation allows the database to be used solely for employment purposes. But historically such limitations don’t last. The Social Security card, for example, was created to track your government retirement benefits. Now you need it to purchase health insurance.

“The Social Security number itself, it’s pretty ubiquitous in your life,” Calabrese said.

David Bier, an analyst with the Competitive Enterprise Institute, agrees with the ACLU’s fears.

“The most worrying aspect is that this creates a principle of permission basically to do certain activities and it can be used to restrict activities,” he said. “It’s like a national ID system without the card.”

For the moment, the debate in the Senate Judiciary Committee is focused on the parameters of legalization for unauthorized immigrants, a border fence and legal immigration in the future.

The committee is scheduled to resume debate on the package Tuesday.

http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2013/0 ... -dossiers/

Some laws enslave people. Others set them free. This is one of the former. :x

I was going to say that there is a fine line between protecting the population and invading privacy but it is more like a mile-wide gray area. One thing I don't understand is this: most privacy advocates understand the need for driver's licenses but balk at voting licenses. We have multiple cases (including a nun) here in the Cincinnati area of people voting multiple times under different names...all because no ID is required (an you wonder how Barry got reelected). Privacy advocates feel that you shouldn't need a photo ID to buy a house or bank but scream bloody murder if their identity gets stolen. If you are you, and then there are 3 other "you's" due to stolen identity, and they are working and having taxes taken out against your SSN, the IRS can not tell you who they are due to privacy concerns (they don't want to anyway as it is "free" money to them...no one to refund to). This, at least to me, is defeating any chance of protecting yourself. Look at what it costs an average citizen to repair the damage caused by an ID thief.

No don't get me wrong...I do not support a national database but how do you combat the rampant use of other's personal data to acquire jobs, secure credit and other such stuff if there is not some comprehensive checks in place? This to me is a double edged sword. To protect yourself you need to give up certain info to the government. But how do we control what the government does with the info? We sure as hell can't trust them. For all we know this is a request for approval of something they are already doing. Illegal immigration has spawned a huge ID theft problem. For the most part, many of the illegals come to work and don't cause any problems. They pay taxes they know they can't get back. But that is ok to them...it is the way the system works for them. But it screws the rest of us up big time. Once they have been imbedded in another's identity for a while it is extremely hard for the correct person to set it straight...especially if the second person fights it.

So, what is the answer? No national database? State-wide databases that are tied to each other? But then the government can just access those db's. Let everyone fend for themselves? That doesn't work due to the criminal element out there. I sure as hell don't have the answer. Part of me says yes, a national DB would be helpful. But another part says hell no, we can't trust the sob's who run the country to use it correctly. But with the advent of the internet, advances in technology, etc. they already have all the info they need on us..which in many cases is too much. Can ya tell I'm conflicted on this subject?

OA - yes, it all does boil down to trust doesn't it. Which is something that is sadly lacking in the world these days. Once lost it is never fully regained.

Back