• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Improved Mossberg Elevator

welllllll, after playing with loading and unloading many times I decided only one thing at this time really bothered me. and that is the loading part. the shells almost always hung up making loading an irritating chore and not a smooth operation. the unloading is a 50/50 thing so not bothersome right now. so I took the elevator out and filed the tab down a bit. not as much as shown though. I also filed and smoothed out the groove edges of the block. I also noticed a sharp edge on the bulge of the elevator. i did not file the bulge as shown but just took the sharp edge off. not sure it made a difference yet. but wow, after doing that the loading is one smooth operation ! sweet !

ok, well, changed my mind. a few days ago I was showing the 500 to someone and before doing that I wanted to unload it. no big deal, right ? well I got two shells out
clumsily and then the next two just would not come out no mater what I did. after repeated tries I finally got them out. I was frustrated to say the least. so today I filed the bump part a bit. not as much as shown. again, wow, what a difference. now I can unload easily with no muss or fuss. feelin good !

a bit of an extra thing I did. was not happy with the effort needed to insert a shell while trying to overcome the cartridge stop. really had to push against the shell to insert it. now I know folks have talked about bending the cs but I felt it was holding the shell properly. not to much, not to little. so while I had it apart I looked at it closely. what I saw was that the edge of the cs that the shell hits and slides against was rather sharp or just an abrupt cut off. this just is not conducive to a shell sliding by easily. so I filed that edge. just added a very very small ramp and then rounded the edges a bit. after putting the 500 together and loading it several times it did seem to be easier. I will see how it goes.

I was not satisfied with the first try at filing the edge of the cs. so I did a bit more and now find that its better now and I feel the only resistance now is the effort of pushing against the cs tension. I'm satisfied, for now.

that slight bevel right at the tip of the bore. Its supposed to aid in chambering a shell, but the ramp i have is a jagged mountain range of ruts and grooves. will try to post pics later after i grind mercilessly on it with my Deadly Dremel.

anyone else have the Rocky Mountain Mod on their feed ramp?

yea, I smoothed them a tad also. will wait for pics. course tonight I will be looking at the barrel very closely. being a long time mechanic, I can't stand rough surfaces and I believe everything needs lubing.

just picked up a tub of Jewelers Rouge. going to hit it with that first. very leary to whip out the stone wheel anywhere near a firearm.

well, looked at the barrel and the area that the shell feeds in and I don't see anything that would bother me. yet.
pics if you can.

sorry - no pics yet , but it literally looks like the threads on a pipe.
ridiculous!
anyone else have pics of the feed ramp?

I could see machining marks but the surface was rather smooth so no big deal. you might want to talk to Mossberg first before doing anything. if you grind off to much then you might have to much clearance and have other issues.

I could see machining marks but the surface was rather smooth so no big deal. you might want to talk to Mossberg first before doing anything. if you grind off to much then you might have to much clearance and have other issues.
yep- i though the same thing. it almost looks like they forgot to grind it down. its ridged like threads on a mid coarse screw would be but not as sharp.

Back