• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

In the market for a new gun - help me decide the model...

rfjeff9

.22LR
My two inherited Brownings (A5s) are old and are more of an heirloom nature than anything I might've bought for myself. Great guns, but I am scared that if one breaks, it would be a pain to find parts. Plus, I don't like these things beating around in the bottom of a boat and getting all scarred. And I have a Remington 1100 from my grandfather that I just don't like the feel. back in 2013, I bought my kid the Moss 500 Super Bantam 20gauge and we both LOVE IT. So..... now I want one, but not sure of the model I should be getting. Here's what it will be used for...

12 GA pump, primarily used for Ducks, Dove, Squirrel, Clays, possibly also a separate barrel grooved for slugs. Not into turkey, but that doesn't mean I never will be. Pretty much a shoot at everything gun that will take a beating and work when I pick it up. Changeable chokes, please. $400 - $500 range.

I have done my research so far to find out that the 3.5" chamber is not really necessary for ducks, but it's there in case it is ever needed and the other shells 3"/2.75" will work fine in it. Would this be recommended if I doubt I will ever shoot a 3.5" shell? I can't see a need, personally.

I am leaning toward flat black, there is something I just don't like much about the camo on the metal, though if I can get it with camo on pump action and stock with blued metal, that may be for me. Mossy Oak or Max 5 I guess. Don't want the ducks easily seeing me (maybe I should think again about the full camo cover).

What's the weight on these things and how big the kick? I don't have a place to fire test any before purchase, but should be able to find some to at least hold and shoulder at local dealers.

Catalog is coming in the mail soon. Looking closely at 500, 535, 835. Any more to consider at the $500 ballpark range?

ANy idea where to look for used - maybe save a few bucks on a really good gun?

Can you believe it? Rode out to Bass Pro at lunch and they didn't have what I wanted to look at. There was a turkey 535 or so there, but no Waterfowl 500 or 535. I know they are similar but I wanted to check actual weight feeling and handling, which would be different with a longer barrel than what was on the turkey.

I checked out a Remington 870 and Winchester SXP while I was there. I liked the 870, but we'll see. I want to get the feel of the Moss I am interested in. Will go looking for one close to spec later.

Good luck with your choice! I don't have much to offer other that you should try the pistol grip stock to see if you like it if that is what it comes with. $500 should get you quite a fine gun PLUS maybe a case of ammo to go with it... :D

BTW, Welcome Aboard! :)

Shoot, I think Jeff9 is looking for a pump gun...

For 12 ga pump, I recently got an 835 for about $400.

The 3-1/2" chamber isn't at all necessary.

For used, check out gun shows and pawn shops.

For a beat around gun, the synthetic stock and forend with matte blued barrel may be the way to go.

Barrel length is whatever feels right. I don't like a 28" barrel but its reasonably common for waterfowl and turkey and other winged critters and shooting sports. I like a 20" barrel. A 24" may be a good compromise for carrying and storing and moving around from vehicle to boat and whatever in between.

Accuchoke barrels give a lot of options. I would look for non ported barrels so FliteControl loads can be used.

You can check barrel length fit by trying anything available at gun stores. Remington tends to weigh a little more than Mossberg but at least you can see what length you like. Sort of.

How the recoil feels is relative. I don't shoot much of anything other than 3" magnums anymore through a reasonably light weight gun. My daughter is ok with them too. But a heavier payload 3-1/2" might rattle my teeth every now and then. Recoil can be managed a couple different ways and longer shells offer more pellets.

I can't definitively answer which one but maybe offer a few more ways to look at it.

Since you mentioned ducks, I'd probably opt for something with a 3 1/2 inch chamber. Mainly to allow you the ability to shoot them, or anything shorter since obviously we both know that would be over-kill for squirrels and the other small'ish critters.

There is nothing wrong with using 3 inch for ducks, but 3 1/2 will get a lot more pellets in the air.

Not sure if you noticed, but I didn't recommend a specific brand of shotgun either. I think you should get the one that fits you the best, and offers the most features for your buck.

You mentioned the 870, and it's also a good gun. And we like guns despite the rollmark on the side of it, so don't feel pressured by us to get the mossy, or don't think you'll get shunned if you don't. That's not how we roll here. Ultimately, you have to be happy with whatever you choose.

Rossignol, you mentioned not using ported barrels with FliteControl loads? My two new Mossberg's are both ported. But, I probably will not be doing any waterfowl shooting. Are FliteControl for W/F use? Any input will help. Thanks.

Rossignol, you mentioned not using ported barrels with FliteControl loads? My two new Mossberg's are both ported. But, I probably will not be doing any waterfowl shooting. Are FliteControl for W/F use? Any input will help. Thanks.

Someone jump in and correct me if I'm wrong;
I believe FliteControl was first developed for law enforcement loads, 00 buck. Over the last few years its found a place in nearly every other application. Personal defense, predator and varmint, upland game, turkey, and also waterfowl specialty loads.

The FliteControl wad vastly improves patterns by holding the shot together longer, the petals of the wad open from the back rather than the front and don't strip the was away as quickly.

Porting interferes with the wad. The holes kind of grab the wad and reduce effectiveness by counteracting the design and stripping the wad away, the opposite of what's supposed to happen.

I can say that barrel porting effects the wad but not as badly as aggressively ported choke tubes. Most of my experience with FliteControl is with 00 buck but I've tried it with turkey loads too through ported chokes. The turkey loads absolutely sucked through my chokes. My 25 yard patterns looked like my later 50 yard patterns after selecting a more appropriate load. That said, the best 00 buck patterns I've ever achieved have been through a cylinder bore gun using FliteControl.

Are your guns fixed chokes or do you have choke tubes? What kind of load are you wanting to use? Are you hunting or target shooting, wing or sport shooting?

Ok, I'll see if I can relay this correctly. I recently bought 2 new Mossberg 500 Field shotguns. One is in 12ga with Accu-Choke system. Upland bird hunting 95%, slight chance of W/F. Slight. Ammo will be steel 6's and 4's.
The other 500 is a 20ga with Accu-Choke system as well. 100% upland bird hunting. Ammo will more than likely be steel 6's. There will be some trap in both, for practice, using 7.5 lead. The reason I'm using steel, is where I live. So-Cal. Starting this year steel starts in some areas; 2019 statewide. Hence the need to practice and get use to steel. All your help and input will be much appreciated. Thanks.
I'm thinking these loads will be fine in ported barrels.

Last edited:
Ok, I gotcha.

A lot of waterfowl has gone to steel shot, and there are the specialty loads using FliteControl, like black cloud. I've heard good things about Winchester Blind Side too.

More to your needs would be upland game, there's a FliteControl load for that too in the way of Prairie Storm, and a good Winchester load called Rooster XR.

I can't say with certainty these are steel loads, the Prairie Storm and Rooster XR probably are not.

There are heavier than lead alternatives like Hevishot, but they're expensive and so far I've not been able to find a way to choke them properly to get satisfactory patterns.

For the steel, the biggest concern is to make sure your chokes are rated for that kind of shot. Steel requires a more open choke that can handle the harder shot. I'm not familiar enough with accuchoke to say which are rated for steel, though it may/should say on the choke somewhere.

If you have to purchase aftermarket choke tubes for your application, both Carlson's and Trulock make non ported steel rated chokes for a reasonable price, around $20 +/- . Colonial choke and tool has non ported chokes for about $30 but I'm not sure if any are for steel, maybe they're flush chokes. Kicks has non ported steel rated chokes for around $50. The Carlson's and Trulock are nearly identical constrictions and maybe listed close/medium/long range.

I have a Carlson's catalogue at home I can check out later. Don't be afraid to remind me about it though if I don't get back to this in a reasonable time frame, lol, the kids kinda shake things up in the evenings!

Thank you very much. Both guns come with Mod, I/C and Full. All rated for steel, altho I won't be using the full with steel. Win "Dry-Lok" steel is pretty good stuff too I understand.

Ghmann, pretty close to the 500 20ga I bought. Mine does come with the 26" vented barrel, chokes and a 18.5" HD barrel. No pistol grip type deal. Bought it for upland birds, but, can always use the 18.5" barrel for HD or fish camp defense I suppose. Can't wait to pick it up.

Rossignol, a bit of a correction on my part. My 20ga 500[Syn.] is not ported. Only the 12ga is.

There are some FliteControl loads for 20 ga that may work for you, but I have no idea on the steel shot.

Back