• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Insect Repellent

Gunned down

.270 WIN
I'm still a big fan of hand sanitiser or bug spray both have a propose come in very small bottles and double as some great fire starter usually throw mine in a ziplock bag with some wood shavings then if it leaks it's not a big deal almost a bonous

yeah, Deet is evil man. I quit using it in Alaska when it started brining blood through the pores of my skin after about a week.

It was 100%....never again. I just closed my collar , got a head net to go over my hard hat, wore my sleeves down and closed and built a smoldering fire with the fungus "punk" every chance I got......and still here I am

I was in the field a few weeks ago. I'd set up my individual tent in what seemed like a good spot. I went a week with no issue. On the last day, as I went to tear down, I lifted my rain fly and found... ANTS!!! Hundreds of red ants. I emptied a bottle of deet onto the tent, emptied my gear onto the ground and repacked piece by piece, shaking and wiping them out as I went.

Sad that I had to waste a bottle of deet. But equally important as insect repellent, knowing how to avoid the insects! I parked on an anthill and didn't even realize it.

The stuff the military gave us would melt your fingerprints into plastic but was "safe" for us...who'd have thunk it...

I use deep Woods Off and Permethrin for ticks.

Deep Woods Off. For me, deet is the only thing I have found that works. The mosquitoes and black flies in the Michigan's UP are on par if not worse than the videos posted above. Heck the mosquitoes in my yard this year have been enough to suck you dry.

I just hate to get bug spray on my hands or near my glasses as something in it will melt any and all plastics, paint, etc. *which is kind of scary when you think about what its doing to out body. I try to use it mostly on my clothes with as little on my skin as possible. I have not noticed the same reaction as Oli but I probably have no tspent as much time being continually exposed either.

If I'm sitting/working in one spot I turn on the Thermocell, hands down the single best investment in outdoor gear I've ever made.

I like my thermocell...but if there's a breeze it's useless. But I still give my clothes a good spray....

I like my thermocell...but if there's a breeze it's useless. But I still give my clothes a good spray....

I can often get mine to continue working by placing it a bit upwind. If the breeze is swirling or too strong you're right, its pretty much useless.

Back