• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Inspect a used Shockwave?

sixbennetts

.270 WIN
Going to look at a 12g Shockwave in a couple days. He's only put 100 rounds through it.

1. Value? He's asking $250, figure I'd offer $225 and come up a bit.

2. What kinds of things should I check? Bringing a bright light to check the bore.

Thanks!
Donny

Donny, takes about 30 seconds to remove the barrel for inspection. If you don't know how there are many on line videos.

You also want to inspect the cycling. If possible take some "dummy" shells and recycle them through the gun several times. Check the lifter, the firing pin and the ejector.

If possible, live fire the shockwave. If it's true that only had 100 rounds through it, its not even broken yet.

I'd also make sure it's in an original configuration without modification. But that's me.

Regards

This helps, thanks! The barrel's only 14" long, I should be able to inspect it fine with a bright light in the receiver.

Never thought of bringing some dummy shotshells to test cycling. Good idea.

How about looking at the internals for possible unusual wear or nicks? Like you said, 100 rounds ain't even broken in yet.

Would pulling the trigger group show me anything?

Vice pulling the innards I'd simply inspect the components through the ejection port and the magazine loading port. Look for excessive wear and/or gouged surfaces. There should be normal and smooth wear points.

The only real issues some have encountered has been cycling issues with the lifter. So cycling shells is, from my point of view, most important. First make sure the shells load smoothly in the magazine and then cycle the action to make sure it loads and ejects the shells. I'd do this cycling both slowly while watching the action and as fast as you can cycle the action to make sure you don't have a failure to feed.

Good luck!

Regards

Great advice, guys! Yup, had planned to cycle the heck out of it, and inspect the shells for excessive knicks and gouges. I remember from my Winchester days in the military that one rough edge or burr in the right spot can be the monkey in the wrench!

Donny, I'd inspect the cartridge stop, the interrupter, and the elevator assembly if you detect any magazine loading or cycling issues. These are typically the three parts which cause issues. All are easy to replace if encounter problems.

Regards

Last edited:
I would bet he's telling the truth about the low round count. Most folks don't like to shoot a pistol grip shotgun for very long. So, that's probably why he's looking to part ways with it.

If it cycles shells (or dummies) OK, that's most of it. As Ernst mentioned above, when you cycle the dummies, don't pussy around with it. Most pumps don't like to be short-shucked, but I imagine that you know that already.

It won't cycle as smoothly as a nice broken in Winchester, but shouldn't give you any problems either.

I wouldn't pull the trigger group, but flipping the safety on to make sure it works and then (once you make sure the chamber is empty) drop the hammer so you can hear it click is all I'd do with respect to that.

I would bet he's telling the truth about the low round count. Most folks don't like to shoot a pistol grip shotgun for very long. So, that's probably why he's looking to part ways with it.

If it cycles shells (or dummies) OK, that's most of it. As Ernst mentioned above, when you cycle the dummies, don't pussy around with it. Most pumps don't like to be short-shucked, but I imagine that you know that already.

It won't cycle as smoothly as a nice broken in Winchester, but shouldn't give you any problems either.

I wouldn't pull the trigger group, but flipping the safety on to make sure it works and then (once you make sure the chamber is empty) drop the hammer so you can hear it click is all I'd do with respect to that.

Agreed! Mine wasn`t love at first shot!

Well change of plans. I told my local gun store what he was asking, and she lowered the price to the point it would be cheaper to buy new. The trip to check out the used one involved a $40 round trip ferry ticket, plus gas.

So, this informative thread is moot for me, but hopefully will turn up in searches by others. Thanks for the replies and help, folks!

So, does that mean you're buying a new one?

Back