• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Interchangability

OK, can someone answer this?

Why are some mossberg 500 forends longer than others?

The one I have is 6 3/4" (short version). And others are 7 3/4 (long)

Aside from having different sizes to begin with, can someone answer which ones (years, models, etc) are what version?

And why?

On the subject of the maverick trigger assembly, will the 88 trigger/bar safety assembly drop into a 500? If so, where would I be able to find one? Because my safety hasn't worked in years. it will fire whether on safe or fire.

Plus I want to put a high tube mesa buttstock on the gun that would cover up the safety anyway, so if there's a way to replace the whole trigger assembly out with one that has a bar safety, that would be ideal.

John, I REALLY apologize for the wait on this one, big guy. I tossed my back out a week or so back and I'm not too mobile so I'm going back through old posts.

The action tube....if you think about it, its only real use is to provide a strong working base for the wood. If the wood is long, long tube. If the wood is short, short tube. There is even the mega-rare Regal tube that's 8 and something inches long for the longer walnut forearm. The longer tube is still on most all tactical models...the shorter one is on most sporting guns with wood forearms. The shorter forearm look just is the vogue these days. All are interchangeable, though, so it's not a big problem either way. If you're thinking of buying a new aftermarket tactical forearm, though, go for the 7 5/8"....it's still the standard. If the maker doesn't say 6 1/2", it's a 7 5/8".

Your safety problem....I just described the exact same prob in another post. Your safety connector, the little tab on the back of the trigger itself, is broken off. Your trigger isn't linking to the safety anymore. It comes from sticking an overly long stock bolt in and pulling the trigger. It's a simple, five minute fix to replace the trigger....and the Mav 88 trigger is the exact same part so if you have one of those, you can pop the trigger out of the Mav and install it in the Mossy. Put the Mossy trigger back into the Mav. Like I said, it's a simple five minute fix, only one trigger group pin, but if you're not comfortable with it, get someone else to do it. You can send the group back to Mossy and they'll replace the trigger for you free of charge.

"You can buy self adhesive aluminum blanks that take the place of the original 500 receiver safety to cover the hole."
Where would I find these blanks. I know this is an old thread but its new to me. I am running a 500 receiver with a Maverick 88 cross bolt safety.

Mello, I'm not sure anymore if they're even still made. It used to be a 50 cent part that came on a card. The ads ran in the gun ads newspapers for a good while. Clays shooters used to use them since the safety was an unused extra. The gun stays unloaded and slide opened til you get up to shoot. I'm NOT suggesting you use one unless you switch to the Mav trigger group safety, but you can buy aluminum sheet stock from lots of places, ebay for example, and cut your own.

We've had some questions recently about what from what fits on what? Follow?

Ok, for example, a stock from an 835 will fit on a 500. A 500 pistol grip works on an 835. Some barrels will fit more than one model. For the most part, 500's and 590's are interchangable, but not barrels and mag tubes with the 590 rings and mag tube cap.

Anyone got anything they wanna add? We can start putting pics up as needed?

Hi Guys, I have a question about this. A stock or grip fits 500-590 and also Maverick? Thanks.

Back