• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Interested in a Scout....

What Scout Rifle would you choose?

• Total voters

Benson X

.270 WIN
I have been wanting a solid .308 for some time now, and have been trying to convince my dad to sell me his M1A (but that's not gonna happen anytime soon ;))

I don't necessarily need a semi, a bolt gun is fine - I mainly want a good versatile rifle that I can keep in the truck, take back-packing/camping, use for target/plinking, small game hunting, and mid-range distance shooting (<500 yds.)

I have narrowed down my choices to either the Ruger GSR (6829 Stainless/composite to withstand abuse) -OR- the Mossberg MVP Scout (27778) which was announced this year, but not yet available.

I know Mossberg doesn't have a stellar reputation for QC and Longevity, but my 930spx has run flawlessly and I have had no issues, but I do a thorough cleaning/oil after every 300rds. I have considered Savage as well, but I am more reluctant to get a Savage over a Ruger or Mossy.

Anyway, I thought the MVP Scout was worth looking into since the price-point is $200-$300 less than the GSR. LuckyGunner did a pretty good review of the (.223 chambered) MVP Patrol VS the GSR:
http://www.luckygunner.com/lounge/ruger-gunsite-scout-vs-mossberg-mvp-patrol/

Mossberg MVP (I like the 27778 model):
http://www.mossberg.com/products/rifles/centerfire/mvp-series
timthumb.php

I love the front fiber-optic sight on the MVP, as well as their ability to accept standard M1A/AR10 mags. The full length top rail is a nice add-on, so it can accept a short, intermediate, or long relief scopes w/o addtl. scope rings (but it also limits access to the receiver if needed). It also has an adj. trigger from 3-7lbs (3.5lbs factory). Additional side-rails and added rear Ghost Ring sight are nice add-ons (I absolutely love the GR and fiber sights on my 930).
MSRP on the Scout is $777 (realistically, around $600 when it becomes available)

Ruger GSR (I like the 6829 or 6830 models):
http://www.ruger.com/products/gunsiteScoutRifle/models.html
6830.jpg

Proven quality and longevity. The quality of the Mauser-style bolt extractor is the standard for bolt guns, so I would be concerned with the MVP's bolt quality and feeding. Plus, with the added rail above the MVP's receiver, it might make it more difficult to clear FTFs or feed issues. I like that the Ruger is now offered in Stainless/composite, whereas the MVP is only offered in matte/blued finish.
MSRP on the Scout is $1075 (realistically, around $750 on-sale)

Would I be stupid to save some $$$ by going with the MVP Scout? What feedback/experience do you guys
have on either of these rifles? o_O

Last edited:
I have no experience with any of the rifles in question;
All I can offer is that I've gone through the same thought process to decide which path to take and ultimately decided on something not a rifle at all.

What's your reluctance to savage? Exhaustive hours of consideration lead to me leaning very much in favor of the savage.

I think you've covered the pros and cons well. The main points I think;
Cost
Quality/longevity
Standard magazines
Bolt accessibility

When I think of bolt guns, honestly OFM isn't the first thing that comes to mind. That said, the biggest tipping points are standard magazines and cost. Those two combined are hard to beat and the OFM rifles seem to be getting good reviews.

I don't know that any of that helps, I think mostly I just voiced what you've already said. If I were making the decision right now, I'd go for the MVP.

I have no experience with any of the rifles in question;
All I can offer is that I've gone through the same thought process to decide which path to take and ultimately decided on something not a rifle at all.

What's your reluctance to savage? Exhaustive hours of consideration lead to me leaning very much in favor of the savage.

I think you've covered the pros and cons well. The main points I think;
Cost
Quality/longevity
Standard magazines
Bolt accessibility

When I think of bolt guns, honestly OFM isn't the first thing that comes to mind. That said, the biggest tipping points are standard magazines and cost. Those two combined are hard to beat and the OFM rifles seem to be getting good reviews.

I don't know that any of that helps, I think mostly I just voiced what you've already said. If I were making the decision right now, I'd go for the MVP.

Thanks for the input and feedback Ross!

I have been researching a few different models, incl. the Steyr Scout, Savage 11s and Hog Hunter, Rem. 700, and the MVP and GSR offerings. While there are specific "pros" with each model, the out-of-box features of MVP Scout and GSR are most appealing to me. I would prefer to do little-to-no mods to the rifle, aside from optics - so stock configuration/features are important to me.

A few things I spent time considering on the Savage 11 Scout:
  • I love the idea behind their AccuStock (aluminum bedding block) and the adj. comb rider is a nice bonus.
  • It weighs slightly more (1-1.5 lbs more) and is over 4" longer than the MVP/GSR, since it has an 18" barrel and (permanent?) muzzle brake
  • The AccuTrigger is a great system, but with the adjustability/similarity on the MVP trigger, I feel the MVP can achieve the same "crisp trigger"
  • I prefer the (front and rear) sights on the GSR and MVP, with the MVP's Ghost Ring and front Fiber Bead being my favorite setup for iron sights (love them on my 930!!!)
  • Replacement mags were another (small) factor as well; the Savage using it's own proprietary mags, the GSR accepts a few different styles, and the MVP uses any standard M1A/AR10 magazine
  • I'm not sure if the muzzle brake is a standard A2 thread, or if it is removable, as it is on the GSR/MVP (which both incl. a thread cap as well)

Nothing against Savage - they make great firearms in general, I just found the GSR/MVP to fit the bill for what I am looking for - whereas the Steyr is the least-appealing to me (mainly due to the price tag) even though it is the one that meets Cooper's "Scout Rifle Criteria" in every category.

Also, I would be lying if I said looks/aesthetics did not have any influence on my decision too....the MVP Scout and GSR are both drool-worthy, but the MVP Scout wins the beauty pageant in my opinion ;)

My .223 Predator has been awesome. 1 MOA or below accuracy out the box.

FWIW

Great feedback Monkey!

I was surprised with the results after reading Guns & Ammo's "Scout Rifle Comparison" (which is a couple years old now). They decided to add the MVP Patrol in .223 to their comparison, and they actually achieved the tightest groupings with the MVP compared to the Steyr, Savage, and Ruger. I know this is subjective, since it's different calibers, but still says something about the out-of-the-box accuracy on the MVP.

I totally understand your points here. You and I vary only slightly.

The biggest advantage in my mind for the OFM is the standard magazine design. And you're right, it's ready out of the box with little need to add or change anything. I think it's a solid choice.

I completely agree Ross - with all things considered, the standard mag is a huge selling-point for a lot of guys looking at the MVP. For me, it is somewhat an afterthought, but still a Pro nonetheless. Hell, some would consider having a box mag on a bot-gun ridiculous in the first place. I think it's a great idea, but I doubt I will need/carry more than 1-2 addtl. mags with me

Damn, nice shooting WM! I got a chuckle watching your cousin shooting the pump for the first-time, I've been there more than once (you should've seen my first time shooting an AR10...no one told me to use longer eye-relief for the scope....left a nice memento on my brow :confused:)

Sorry to hear about your neck injury, that's no bueno! Glad to hear your on the mend and I wish you a full recovery so you can get back to 100% soon! ;)

Bolt guns dont usually have feed issues. They're generally robust enough enough that you can yank the bolt back, or slam it home if necessary. I cant weigh in Mossberg vs Ruger on this one as i dont have either in bolt action. My .308 choice is Savage. And they don't have anything to offer in a scout style. And you mentioned small game hunting..... I really hope youre not planning to harvest rabbits and squirrels to eat with a .308 :confused:

Bolt guns dont usually have feed issues. They're generally robust enough enough that you can yank the bolt back, or slam it home if necessary. I cant weigh in Mossberg vs Ruger on this one as i dont have either in bolt action. My .308 choice is Savage. And they don't have anything to offer in a scout style. And you mentioned small game hunting..... I really hope youre not planning to harvest rabbits and squirrels to eat with a .308 :confused:

lol, not THAT small...well...if the need arises, I can't say it wouldn't happen :D More along the lines of deer, elk, caribou, maybe boar (someday). I don't know how comfortable I would be trying to take down anything bigger (bear, moose, buffalo etc.).

I'm not too concerned about the bolt operation on either the Ruger or Mossberg - I have heard they both function fine, with good tolerance. *Edit* I do like the full-length rail on the MPV Scout, but at the cost of covering the receiver. If ever there's a bad primer, FTF/FTE, I wouldn't want to be prohibited access to the receiver. Again, not a huge issue, but it does factor in to my Pros/Cons list.

Another thing that was weird to me is how the extractor works on the .223 MPV (not the same on the .308 however). That little beaver tail looks like it would be easy to damage (or lose if the pin comes out).
7-Mossberg-MVP.jpg

Last edited:
@dieselmudder
Savage indeed has a new offering just this year, unveiled at shot show. It's the model 10 FCP scout in .308. It has irons with marble arms peep style rear, forward mounted rail, threaded barrel, and cheek riser. It however is not available in .223 otherwise I'd be all over it, though the MVP with its ability to use aftermarket and mil spec magazines alike is a high selling point that's difficult to get past.

No issues I've heard of with the MVP bolt in 5.56.

Other than some light primer strikes with 5.56 NATO rounds.

@dieselmudder
Savage indeed has a new offering just this year, unveiled at shot show. It's the model 10 FCP scout in .308. It has irons with marble arms peep style rear, forward mounted rail, threaded barrel, and cheek riser. It however is not available in .223 otherwise I'd be all over it, though the MVP with its ability to use aftermarket and mil spec magazines alike is a high selling point that's difficult to get past.

At the risk of derailing the original post, the savage Axis in .223 is a good shooter if you can cope with the trigger. I shot sub MOA at 100 yards with handloads with one straight from the box.

UPDATE

I spoke to OFM this morning, they expect the Scout (27778) to be available for purchase near the end of May, so I will wait to see what the prices are gonna be before making a solid decision. Hoping they will be under $600

I put a Williams RGS rear sight on my Patrol and couldn't be happier with it.
index.php

Link to thread http://www.mossbergowners.com/forum/index.php?threads/ghost-ring-on-my-7-62-patrol.13051/

Awesome, thanks for the input wood chucker! Nice looking Patrol. For some reason your pics don't show on the main thread, but I could see the source data that it was uploaded from mossbergowners' server...weird. It also shows up when I quoted your message....same thing in your write-up/review thread (no pictures show up for me) :confused:

The Patrol was another contender on my list, but I figured I will wait for the Scout since it will have all the key features I am looking for, right outta the box. The Ghost ring sights with a fiber bead are almost a must-have for me on any rifle or shotgun I plan on owning in the future...it is one of the best iron sight setups IMO.

Thanks fellas.
Benson X the .308 MVP receivers are drilled and tapped to take whatever iron sights and two piece scope bases fit a Rem 700.

Back