• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Iron 44

oli700

12g
Supporter
"Philanthropist"
On Aug. 5, 2008, a Sikorsky S-61N helicopter lifted off from a remote clearing deep in the Shasta-Trinity National Forest. As it rose, the machine -- loaded with 13 men in the business of fighting fires -- struck a tree and smashed into a hillside. Nine of the men died. I knew 5 of them and grew up with the crew boss in a small logging town of 400 people in Southern Oregon, he was spared because of no room left on the helo, he was set for the next turn. There men were all Oregon fire fighter and yesterday they finally got some retribution.
The verdict is in. The two pilots were cleared in court of any wrong doings. A Portland jury determined a faulty engine was to blame, not the pilots, for the crash that killed the firefighters. They said that GE knew of the problem with the engine’s fuel filter system for years. The jury says G.E. must pay nearly $70 million split between the one surviving pilot and the deceased pilots facility. All the fire fighters families have reached out of court settlements with Carson Helicopters.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P6dqmC375fM[/youtube]

RIP
Shawn Blazer, 30 from Medford, Or.
Scott Charleson, 25 from Phoenix, Or.
Matt Hammer, 23 from Grants Pass, Or.
Erik Gomez, 19, from Ashland, Or.
Steven Caleb Renno, 21, Cave Junction, Or
Bryan Rich, 29, from Medford, Or.
David Steele, 19, from Ashland, Or.

Everytime I get in a helo for a fire I remember them and like to think they are looking out for me

It was with a heavy heart that I read of their/your loss. Heartfelt condolences to you, oli.

You and I know what it's like to run toward the fire, brother. These events won't stop us from our calling.

oli700 said:
meant to put it in work safe.....can someone move it ?

Gotcha covered Sir,

I too am deeply saddened for your loss and that of their families. It is a shame that it happened at all, but it's good that the air is now cleared and they can rest in peace. It's never easy losing those that we care about, but the cherished memories of the dear departed will never leave us.

A big thanks to you oli for what you do. We really do appreciate you and your team running toward the fire to keep the rest of us safe.

NS Yeah, We were all on different fires at the time and it definitely hit home….when word got around. It slowed everyone down and put everyone in check but no one ever once deviated from the mission. After fireseason that year is when I really allowed it to set in. It’s sad in a way because you feel the loss and want to drop everything and mourn the loss but you can’t allow yourself to lose focus on the current situation so It personally makes me feel cold when you have to act hard so no one else gets of off their game , especially the ones that look to you for reassurance that at the end of the day we are all going home….when you really want to start crying

Thanks for moving it LES

My God. They were all so young. I have kids older than some of them.

RIP
David Steele, 19, from Ashland, Or

Oli, we face different dangers but it is with the same determination that we do it.

Read my sig line. I know you, and know you understand it.

My condolences to the families...and to you Oli, on the loss of so many of your friends !!

Oh man..I am saddened by this news. My best friend of of 40 years is a Lieutenant, town Fireman. He tells me everything that happens in town. Not to mention everywhere else. I'll have to let him know about this. (but he probably already does) Keep giving it the good fight and never forget them....

RIP
David Steele, 19, from Ashland, Or

I'm only just now seein this.

I'm sorry Oli for the loss you and their families have endured.

Thanks everyone I really just posted it because it was kind of a closure thing, It had a tid bit in the national news that summer but not a lot of people knew about it, just sharing a little of my world I guess......

Back