• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Is Ghost Loading (lifter loading) reliable and why?

JCinPA

.270 WIN
Not sure what forum to post this in, but figured this one would have the most technical experts viewing it. Having just seen a link to the Marine Corps TM for the M1014 shotgun, and seeing they consider "Carrier Loading" reliable enough to describe it as a recommended combat condition for the M4 shotgun (see page 24 at the following link), I'm very curious about it.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxN5CusgXy6nbm1udXh5dzYyYUU/view

I have a standard 930 field/security combo which I am fitting with OR3GUN spring plunger and spring retainer this week, and I am curious about the advisability of this for home defense use. I've seen tons of YouTube videos on this, but I am having trouble wrapping my mind around why this works--why it does not cause a double feed. I guess I don't know how the shell magazine release functions.

My goal is not to have one in the chamber, I prefer 'cruiser ready' as described in the Lucky Gunner video. In that video, he suggests downloading the magazine tube down by one round, and leaving the chamber empty, for safety and to reduce magazine spring problems. When needed in this condition, you rack a shell into the chamber then load two into the magazine to get to the 4+1 condition.

I like the empty chamber idea, but I'd like to load 3 in the magazine tube plus one on the lifter, not in the chamber. Then when deploying, I'd rack that 'ghost loaded' shell into the chamber and only have to load one in the tube to get to 4+1, that's my motivation here.

But is is reliable enough for home defense use that way, or not a recommended storage condition? I'm guessing it's reliable in the M4 or it would not be described in the Marine manual, but is there something about that gun that makes it a recommended feature that is not the case with the 930? Thanks for your expert opinons.

EDIT: P.S. I have tried this 3 shells in the tube, one on the shell lifter, chamber, load one procedure with snap caps and it does not double feed. But I'd like some reassurance this is OK to do with a HD 930 or best avoided. Thanks.

Here is the Lucky Gunner video.

Last edited:
Back