• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Is it enough just to be right?

Tom396

.30-06
http://www.guns.com/sean-combs-open-carry-10224.html

So this kid slings an M1 Garand over his shoulder and goes for a stroll. In Michigan, it's legal to open carry. I get it. The kid is in "the right". But is that enough? Why would the kid do this? Was it because he wanted the protection the rifle could give him? I don't think so, in fact, here is what he said:

"...Combs went to court and calmly explained why he was carrying a gun – not to start trouble, but to 'make a difference in my community, to make a statement.'..."

Hmmm. To make a statement. What do you think he actually accomplished? Personally, I bet he just got a bunch of fence leaners to see why maybe there ought to be some sort of law against it. :| He definitely didn't make it any easier for the folks who legitimately just wanted to be armed. Everyone who wanted to be publicly armed already knew they could do so. So what statement did he WANT to make? Personally (again), I think his statement was "Hey, look at me!" Not that 18 year old kids ever do anything like that. :roll: Take care. Tom Worthington.

Being 22 now, I find that a lot of people my age are idiots... A lot of them do this kind of thing. They feel like the world owes them everything and that they can do anything. It is annoying beyond all belief how stupid some people are. The generation of entitlement pisses me off.

Awwww, it was a C&R weapon so it was okay since it was just an old relic, not as deadly as the modern fierarms of today.

Is it legal for him to carry a gun at that age in Michigan? I know that no sheriffs in Alabama issue pistol permits to anyone under 21 and I thought that to own a semi-auto rifle, you had to be 21... Unless that is just if it has a pistol grip you have to be 21.

Personally, if open carry is legal, and he did just because the law says he can, then I say leave him alone.

Ohio is supposed to be an open carry state, yet no one does it becuase everyone knows youll be charged with inciting panic if just one person calls the police. I'm told your firearm may be confiscated temporarily while you are charged and until it all goes to court. Who wants the hassle?

Even so, I've wanted to just because we're supposed to be able to, just to make the statement that open carry is indeed legal here!

In MI you can buy a gun at age 18.

You can buy a handgun via private save at 18 but need to be 21 to buy from a store (not sure if this applies to long guns). You must be 21 to get a Concealed Pistol License (CPL). Under the age or 21 your only carry option is to open carry.

We've had a few long gun OC occurrences here. A few I remember that generated a lot of controversy was a AR carry into a ponderosa. The restaurant knew that it was an OC group event and was OK with it but people were taken aback by the unexpected long gun. No arrest was make but they were "detained" for quite a while.

Another was a shotgun carried in to a library. The guy was also using a computer near the kids section which really set things off. I don't recall if the they was charged with anything. There is a legal battle over this one regarding whether the public library can restrict legal carry. I'm not sure if this has been resolved, I'll have to check back and see.

I support any legal form of carry. I don't necessarily support the decision making that some people make. There is a time and a place for everything and while pushing the envelope is what gets things done, pushing too hard causes a backlash. There is the appropriate time and place for everything. I disagree with those that only do it to get attention under the guise of trying to exercise their rights.

I had planned on attending the 2A rally here in Mi a year or so ago and had planned on OC'ing my AR. ( I never did make it due to some personal issues I had pop up) I would not however OC the same gun to my local steakhouse but I OC my G19 there.

Legally I think it is OK just to be right. From a more practical, best for the cause standpoint, I think there is more to consider. If we are truly trying to advance 2A rights we have to ask ourselves if what we are doing is truly advancing awareness and perception or are we going to push more people to the other side.

If it's legal then he's ok and it's his right. I also would say that some people open carry to be provacative. He sounds like he was trying for that. It's no different than burning a flag (which I hate) or writing trash to push buttons with the 1st ammendment.

PA is an open carry state but I have never heard of OC'ing rifles. Philly and surroundings is the one big trouble spot. They want to trump state law and ban CC and OC but can't legally stop it. OC in Philly will get you dumped onto the ground for 30 minutes while a pile a police check you out, threaten and berate the "offender". I believe harassment lawsuits are pending.

Back