• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Is there play in your 590A1 barrel to receiver fit?

I bought a Mossberg 590A1 a few months ago, model 51411, it had a crooked front sight, after contacting Mossberg about it they sent me a new barrel, the front sight on the new barrel seems less crooked, or at least it's so hard to tell, sometimes it looks crooked, under different light it looks straight, it's so hard to tell that I've just accepted it as "good enough" but still seems canted to the left a little.

Reading several posts on here about guys having quality control issues with their Mossbergs, and having issues with my own, I decided to buy a Remington 870 Police and get the quality they are famous for. I paid about nearly $200 more for it than I did the Mossberg, just a plain base model 870 Police.

The grass is always greener on the other side as they say...

I was very happy with the Remington 870 Police... until I noticed the trigger guard is loose, it jiggles, loose as a goose. Remington will make good on that, I thank them. Then tonight I noticed something else, the barrel is also slightly loose, even when everything is tightened down, the looseness is very noticeable. I will contact Remington tomorrow and speak to them.

So it made me want to check the same thing on my Mossberg 590A1, the barrel seems tight, but when I grab one end with one hand and the other end with the other hand and twist back and forth, sometimes I hear a sound of something faintly "click or clack" but I'm not sure if I'm hitting the pump or something else and it is that which is clacking or rattling.

So finally I come to my question to you 590A1 owners, when you grip the receiver in one hand, and the end of the barrel in the other hand, and you twist in opposite directions back and forth, is there ANY PLAY WHATSOEVER in the barrel of your 590A1 when the barrel nut is hand tightened down as required?

In my new Remington 870 Police there is play and it is very noticeable, but what about your Mossbergs? Any such play? I'm my Mossberg I'm still not sure. Please let me know, thanks

And remember, for all the folks disappointed with Mossberg quality control, THE GRASS IS ALWAYS GREENER ON THE OTHER SIDE! :)

Remington 870 Police issues on my new gun:
1. Loose rattly trigger guard housing
2. Loose barrel to receiver fit, I can rattle it, no doubt about it
3. Small dent in muzzle crown

For anyone wondering whether to get the Mossberg or Remington, probably doesn't matter, both have legendary reputations, I now own both and they both have issues, it's six of one, half a dozen of the other. Eh. (FYI: "eh" is the old time version of "meh" for you youngsters :) )

Anything built by us humans in mass quantities is bound to have issues. Off hand I don't recall any play in the barrel/receiver fit on my 590A1, but honestly I've never paid much attention and haven't looked for it. I'll have to twist my barrel this evening when I get home...

...insert chuckle here...

Some 590s have a little play in the barrel, some do not. Play in the barrel is not a concern since the bolt locks into the barrel.

^^This

It may cause an issue of you ever mount a scope and to a lessor degree a rear sight to the receiver.

If it still matters, I have a 51411 and the barrel doesn't move. The barrel is like a rock. When I read this earlier today I wondered about mine but had already decided it didn't matter anyway...it's a kick ass shotgun either way. Thanks for giving me a reason to get it out tonight. It sounds like you have a great pair of shotguns there, enjoy them.

Blacksmith, don't you know the Remington 870 Police is the shotgun of gods, don't you read what they say about Remington shotguns? Seas part in the presence of Remington shotguns, virgins immaculately conceive, the sick are healed, and the course of mighty rivers reverse direction... ;)

Thanks for the replies everyone, I posted this same question on my local gun forum and a few forums and it's 50/50, some have some play, some don't. The play in my Mossberg is very very minor, a vague hint of a muted "clack clack clack" as I twist the barrel back and forth. There is zero front to back looseness, or any other type looseness, and frankly the rotational looseness requires a strong grip and some muscle to get the barrel to rotate that tiny tiny smidge back and forth, so I'm not gonna worry about.

Blacksmith, don't you know the Benelli M4 is the shotgun of the Marine Corps, don't you read what they say about Italian shotguns? Seas part in the presence of Benelli shotguns, virgins immaculately conceive, the sick are healed, and the course of mighty rivers reverse direction... ;)

Fixed it for you.

Fixed it for you.

Doh, you hit a soft spot because that's a shotgun I'd really like to get!! Looks like I'm gonna have o save my dollars because that M4 will set me back about $2200 after tax. Maybe one day, maybe not, though people seem to have high praise for the converted Saiga 12 by Izhmash. I've read of cycling and feeding issues with the Saiga, I have yet to read of any issues with the Benelli, if I'm correct, even bird shot cycles the Benelli. Yes....................... Benelli M4, I want :-D

my barrel also doesnt have any play....it locks up solidly in the reciever....:)

what is this talk about seas parting/virgins conceiving coz of remington and benelli shotguns? blasphemy!:p

kidding aside-id love to have both a remington police and a benelli m4 (both in SBS configurations please) PLUS a keltec KSG-that would complete my shotgun wishlist!

but since i have only one shotgun-my beloved mossberg 590 SBS, i must learn to be content with what i have...;)

havoc21, you are one of the lucky ones! I got one with a tiny amount of play when you try and twist the barrel. So many people on both my local forum, this forum, the Remington forum, the Ithaca forum, have told me they have a miniscule amount of play in the barrels of their shotguns that I guess it's just par for the course so I won't worry about it too much. Does it bug me? Yeah, sure I'd like one that is rock solid, but apparently it's no big deal so I won't let it bug me too much. This play seems common among all brands of pump shotgun. When I say the play is very small, miniscule, I do mean it, barely audible, not at all VISIBLE, barely perceptible but definitely there. Eh. As long as the bugger does what it's supposed to do, go BANG when I need it too, great. :)

No movement at all in my 590A1 barrel/receiver. My trigger housing has a little play in it though.

havoc21, you are one of the lucky ones! I got one with a tiny amount of play when you try and twist the barrel. So many people on both my local forum, this forum, the Remington forum, the Ithaca forum, have told me they have a miniscule amount of play in the barrels of their shotguns that I guess it's just par for the course so I won't worry about it too much. Does it bug me? Yeah, sure I'd like one that is rock solid, but apparently it's no big deal so I won't let it bug me too much. This play seems common among all brands of pump shotgun. When I say the play is very small, miniscule, I do mean it, barely audible, not at all VISIBLE, barely perceptible but definitely there. Eh. As long as the bugger does what it's supposed to do, go BANG when I need it too, great. :)

mister mossberg do u think the miniscule play affects the shotgun's accuracy?

checked my sbs mossberg's barrel/receiver lock up again...just wont budge even a tiny bit...guess i got lucky..:)

Back