• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Issue with slide action assembly

kramer

Copper BB
I have a 500 that I had issues with feeding from the magazine when I pump it. I have a few 500s so I swapped parts between guns and narrowed it down to the slide assembly. It will not feed a shell from the mag regardless of the gun I put it in. Any thoughts on this? 12 gauge gun for the record.

Thanks

Sounds like the cartridge stop. Try changing just the cartridge stop.

Keep us posted.

Welcome to the forum.

Sucks mossberg can't unscrew this issue. It's getting more common.
Worked in a gun store in the 80s when I bought my 1st 500A. We never had a Mossberg 500 or Remington 870 come back with a problem-EVER. More ahead 3 decades of out sourcing parts and manufacturing and these American classics are less and less American and less and less classic. My 1985 has literally 10s of thousands of rounds through it (mostly skeet in the 80s and 90s) and I reluctantly changed the magazine spring this year. Didn't need it, just figured I would. Couldn't guess how many times my brother subjected it to rain and salt water duck hunting the Connecticut shoreline over the years and pheasant hunting inland along with 3 inch magnum turkey hunting. Don't make them like they used to. Anyone with an 18" or 28" barrel when they were still made in Connecticut can see the obvious decline in barrel quality. The 18" barrels were built like the 590s of today. I own 4 500s, three 12 gauge (1985, 1987,1991) and one 20 gauge (1987). Didn't need them, but they were $150-$165 used. The newest was manufactured in 1991. Never a problem with any of them. The 1985 has been shot so many times the interior of the receiver has wear of bright aluminum showing in most places. Cycles smooth as silk and goes bang every time. Every few years I spray out the bolt and trigger assembly with nitro solvent. Maybe I'll out live my old 500A. Doubt it, the new magazine spring will probably last another 40 years.

Attachments

• israeli-girl-m4-carbine.jpg
    israeli-girl-m4-carbine.jpg
    477.2 KB · Views: 7
Back