• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

jamming with Quiet shells

Dan Clay

Copper BB
Newby here, Got my wife a plinkster and trying to use a 710 grain "quiet" shell. It jams every time. any shell 1020 grain or more works just fine. Is there a lighter spring that will let the lighter load shells eject and the next cartridge load ?
I'm not a big gun guy, so is this something I can do , if it is even possible ? Thanks.

Hello, Dan. Welcome to Mossberg Owners from E TN.
I'm going assume "jam" means "will not cycle the semi-automatic action." If there is a different problem let us know because "jam" could mean a dozen different failures in firearms.

I believe the problem you are having is expected because the small amount of powder in this ammunition is not enough to cycle the action while keeping the muzzle velocity to 700 fps.

In fact, I think you will find this in the literature or printed on the boxes.
These cartridges may be used in semi-automatic firearms, however manual cycling of the action may be required.

If this does not answer your question please feel free to expand so we can get closer to a solution for you.

upload_2017-1-3_1-31-52.jpeg

Hi Scoop, You are exactly correct. It won't eject the spent shell. My question is ..... can the gun be modified with a lighter spring action to adapt to the lite load in the shells. Thanks for the reply. Dan

1. I am not a gunsmith, so what follows is speculative opinion. Stay on the safe side.

2. In blowback operated semi's the only "locking" is performed by that recoil spring. Lightening that spring may allow firing out of battery. Even with light loads that can be dangerous. I would recommend against it.

Thanks scoop. not going to be stupid about being stubborn, Think i will look for a lever action or other single shot that still holds multiple rounds. Any suggestions ?

Most folks trying to use cci "powderless" quiets, use them in bolt guns and revolvers.

I would suspect the gun will still cycle if you used "normal" subsonics that maintain a muzzle velocity of around or less than 1070 feet per second.

CCI minimags are the best 22 rounds I have used.
I have 2 Sig Sauer semi automatic pistols and both will shoot almost any 22 brands but i have noticed that with any other brand of rounds it tends to not eject or cycle from time to time; but when I use the CCI's I have never had an issue with them.
I would recommend picking up some CCI rounds from Academy, Cabellas, or even Wal Mart has them here and there and give them a try before modifying anything.

Dan, how handy with tools are you? Your fix isn't a lighter spring, it's a lighter bolt. You can pick up a replacement bolt from Ebay in the $20 range....and then look it over well. Notice where the bearing surfaces are, the mechanical areas, and the aesthetics areas. Look it over carefully. All the rest can be drilled or dremeled to lighten the bolt. Go small. Metal is easy to remove but harder to put back. Bolt lightening is common in areas where light target ammo is all you can get. Just be aware that that gun was designed to fire "average" ammo in a pretty wide range. Too light and too heavy are the common probs for all semi-auto .22's. So if you mount a lighter bolt, stay away from heavy ammo while you use it!

The prob with lighter springs is as Scoop said. You can use a lighter spring that will allow the light ammo to kick the bolt back, but the light spring will also be light in pushing the bolt back forward into battery. Go lighter bolt, not lighter spring.

Last edited:
Hi Richard. I gave the Plinkster to my kid and bought a Henry for my wife. Its a good rifle... but not "fun". I am going to get the bolt you suggest and lighten it and give it a try. I like your suggestion and have the tools needed to try this. I'll let everybody know what happens.

Like I said, it's a common mod. It's perfectly safe. Just don't drill on the bearing surfaces, don't drill through the firing pin channel nor on the visible face of the thing lol

This is a thread on the exact same topic. http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=146811 It's a bit old but it's the exact same thing. Do a web search on "lightening a 10/22 bolt" and read a few of those. Just remember, by mounting a lightened bolt, you're making it a light ammo gun as long as it's mounted. Don't try to fire CCI's through it when you got it set up for Aguilas. ;)

Hi Richard. I gave the Plinkster to my kid and bought a Henry for my wife.

This... ^^^^ The Henry lever-action .22 will fire .22 shorts which may take care of your wife's "issue". I believe 21 of the shorts will fit in the tube. I have one and it digests everything. :)

BTW, Welcome Aboard!:)

Back