• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Just bought 715t ....trying to figure out the muzzle brake

I'm trying to figure out if the muzzle brake is threaded or not. I live in Wisconsin and bought it in Wisconsin. The muzzle break has a spot where a 19mm wrench goes on it so I figured it was threaded (there is not set screw on the outside I could see). I tried warming it up with a propane torch and tried turning both left and right ...not sure how it would be threaded but to no avail. Hopefully someone with expertise can shed some light for this noob. Thanks in advance![emoji4]

My TAC-22 (715T, since sold) had a "flash hider" that was installed upside-down (180^ out). Maybe the barrel was installed upside down--I don't know. And it was TIGHT! I didn't feel like having to dick with sending it back under warranty so I opted to "fix" it myself. Easiest thing for me was to clamp the barrel in some padded vice jaws I made, heat the hider up good with a heat gun (blowdryer on steroids), put snug wrench on and give a good sharp wack with a hammer. This got the hider loose and I put a copper washer in to take up some of the space and re-tighted in the proper orientation (up). Darkened the copper with a Sharpie. It is essential you clamp the barrel TIGHT with proper sized clamp because if the barrel spins in the clamp it will scratch/mar the finish.

Prior to this, the gun shot fine with no perceived increased muzzle rise.

To answer your question, yes, it was threaded but I can't remember the pitch. Probably std. 1/2-28 AR threads...

IMHO, muzzle rise with 22LR is more show than go - not really an issue in spot shooting etc... (IMHO)

My wife just wants a cooler looking muzzle brake on it just it's really f*cking on there thanks for the clamp idea I will hopefully try it this weekend...on other news I did my first disassembly and reassemble last night...wanted to clean it and put my own gun oil in it...cleaning cloth turned black ! Was that their gun oil? Or was it a preservative they put in it?

I've been having the same issue with getting the flash suppressor off. I've tried the vice and heat gun method too but to no prevail. I'm going to give it another go this weekend and I will report back if I get that beast off. I own a couple of AR15s and have not had this issue.

Back