• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Just purchased first shotgun - 590A1

Hey all, first post here.

My name is Brandon and I recently just took home my first shotgun per CA's mandatory 10 day wait. I purchased it used off a private seller and it seems to be in pretty good condition less some wear marks here and there. It's the 18.5" 590A1 with the Speedfeed stock. One of the reasons why I chose this over an 870 is because of where the controls are being that I am a lefty.

6704260811_d4151c6cfe_z.jpg

During the 10 day wait I also ordered a 12ga nylon brush, jag, cleaning patches, and some snap caps. I didn't order a cleaning rod because the site didn't seem to have anything good and cheap and I wasn't sure what to go with. Can anyone recommend a good cleaning rod? So far I have my eyes on a Dewey one-piece brass one for about $27 + shipping online.

As soon as I took the gun home I disassembled it for cleaning. I kinda had a hard time getting the trigger assembly back but eventually realized that I had to slide the front part into the grooves in the receiver. I also forgot to engage the safety a couple times when I took the trigger assembly off...I hope I didn't damage anything.

I cleaned everything with CLP and then lubed up some of the sliding parts with Wilson Combat Ultimalube and then I rubbed CLP throughout the exterior before putting it away.

I have some questions that I was wondering if anyone can help me with:

1. Where can I find out exactly where the lube points are and how exactly am I supposed to clean the trigger assembly? I read to just spray it with gun scrubber. I don't have that but it seems to just be an evaporating degreaser. I have some automotive MAF cleaner that is safe on plastics and rubber. Can I use that? Then where would I need to lube afterwards?

2. Am I supposed to store the shotgun cocked or not? I currently have it put away with the hammer down on a snap cap.

3. I'm looking into replacing the stock for a shorter one especially since I'm left handed and i'm not sure if I care for the Speedfeed stock up against my cheek. I know that Hogue makes a 12" LOP stock but i'm afraid it might be a tad too short. Do I have any options for a 13"?

I also want to purchase some low recoil 00 buck and have been doing some reading online. It seems that everyone is up and down about the new Federal flitecontrol wad shells so I have those in mind. I'm also looking at the Winchester Rangers. Which one would be a better all-around option for HD/zombie invasions? I'm new to shotguns but the Federal's seem to be really tight...not sure if thats what I am supposed to want.

Thanks!
Brandon

Brandon! First of all, Welcome to Mossberg Owners and congrats on that beautiful firearm!!!

Brandon04GT said:
During the 10 day wait I also ordered a 12ga nylon brush, jag, cleaning patches, and some snap caps. I didn't order a cleaning rod because the site didn't seem to have anything good and cheap and I wasn't sure what to go with. Can anyone recommend a good cleaning rod? So far I have my eyes on a Dewey one-piece brass one for about $27 + shipping online.

WalMart carries decent stuff, like the Hoppes cleaning kits. The basic Hoppes kits will have three brass rods which can be screwed together to get to the length you need. You can also check out sporting goods stores, we have Dick's, Bass Pro, Gander Mountain... Also useful to keep in a range bag is a bore snake, also made by Hoppes. The kits range from very basic, around $10, to more complete kits that have accessories for a variety of firearms for $30 or so. There are also much more expensive sets. If all you own currently is the 12 ga. and a few tools already my recommendation is a basic kit with the cleaning rods and maybe the bore snake.

Brandon04GT said:
As soon as I took the gun home I disassembled it for cleaning. I kinda had a hard time getting the trigger assembly back but eventually realized that I had to slide the front part into the grooves in the receiver. I also forgot to engage the safety a couple times when I took the trigger assembly off...I hope I didn't damage anything.

I dont expect anything to be damaged.

Brandon04GT said:
I have some questions that I was wondering if anyone can help me with:

1. Where can I find out exactly where the lube points are and how exactly am I supposed to clean the trigger assembly? I read to just spray it with gun scrubber. I don't have that but it seems to just be an evaporating degreaser. I have some automotive MAF cleaner that is safe on plastics and rubber. Can I use that? Then where would I need to lube afterwards?

The CLP can be sprayed in the trigger group to loosen grime/dirt/residue, as well as RemOil. I use either of those then put a drop or two of the Hoppes gun oil in trigger group. I cant speak for the automotive you mention, but it may well be fine too.

Brandon04GT said:
2. Am I supposed to store the shotgun cocked or not? I currently have it put away with the hammer down on a snap cap.

Some do store guns cocked and loaded. I dont. Mine are left with the action open and unloaded. I figure if I need the firearm, the action is open and I can drop a round in place through the ejection port and slide the action forward. Thats how I do it, your plan should be tailored to you needs and circumstances.

Brandon04GT said:
3. I'm looking into replacing the stock for a shorter one especially since I'm left handed and i'm not sure if I care for the Speedfeed stock up against my cheek. I know that Hogue makes a 12" LOP stock but i'm afraid it might be a tad too short. Do I have any options for a 13"?

You do have options! :D There is a SpeedFeed in 13" as well as Hogue 13" LOP models!!! AIMPRO I'm told is THE place to get the 13" Hogue stock!

Brandon04GT said:
I also want to purchase some low recoil 00 buck and have been doing some reading online. It seems that everyone is up and down about the new Federal flitecontrol wad shells so I have those in mind. I'm also looking at the Winchester Rangers. Which one would be a better all-around option for HD/zombie invasions? I'm new to shotguns but the Federal's seem to be really tight...not sure if thats what I am supposed to want.

I'll add a link here in a moment after typing all this up.

EDIT:

Heres the link, its a decent place to get started;
Ammunition Performance Reviews

For HD at close ranges, any 00 buckshot will provide pattern enough on target to be effective, such as Winchester Super X 00 from WalMart. The Federal FliteControl is perhaps the tightest patterning load I have ever used! It has the true-est flight putting pellets on target at ranges thought to be untouchable by buckshot! That doesnt mean its a must have, dont make yourself fall in to the trap of feeling like you cant get by without it or protect yourself if it isnt loaded in your gun.

I have the Federal FliteControl... but I also have on hand Hornady TAP low recoil, Hornady TAP light magnums, Winchester Ranger Low recoil, Winchester Super X, and Remington. There are a few others I think... I havent taken stock in awhile. There are slugs too, much along the same lines less the Hornady.

I really like the Winchester Ranger 00 low recoil over many other things. Hornady TAP low recoil was a long time second for me until I started shooting the Ranger loads. Those are now my second favorite to the Federal Tactical LE 9 pellet 00 buckshot low recoil AKA LE13200. The load can sometimes be found at sporting goods stores as a personal defense load under the number PD132.

My sincerest recommendation, buy several brands and flavors of 00 buck. Determine your maximum ranges you would need to use a firearm for HD. Set some paper or cardboard up at your ranges whether it be 5 yards or 25 yards, and start shooting to see what kind of pattern you get and what is acceptable to you in your specific circumstances. Expect that your gun may not pattern exactly where you aim (point of aim = POA) (point of impact = POI) So your POA may be on the bullseye and POI or center of pattern may be low left or whatever... You may have to adjust your POA on your target to pattern over the bull. I look for a pattern that wouldnt have any stray pellets, something that puts every pellet on target whatever size it may be. I like to keep pellets within several inches square.

Brandon04GT said:
Thanks!
Brandon

Youre welcome! I hope I answered your questions and I'm happy to elaborate if anything doesnt make sense or if you have any other questions! Also if i missed anything!!! Let me know... any of us here are happy to be helpful where we're able!

Brad.

^^ Thanks so much for the reply. It is really helpful. A 13 LOP Hogue sounds perfect, I'm gonna have to get in touch with Aimpro and try to get one.

About the lubing, I just have this OCD about causing excessive wear due to inadequate lube. I was really comfortable with my first gun (a 1911) but I'm still kinda in the dark with my shotgun. Aside from the trigger assembly, after I clean and wipe dry all the internals, are there any particular parts I am suppose to be applying or spreading lube? The owners manual doesn't really seem to say much.

So far I only know to put lube on the action rails from the outside and let the cycling work it around. I also noticed that the outside extractor scrapes the inside of the receiver so I dropped some oil on it.

Should I be picking up the bolt and bolt carrier and spreading oil all over it before re-installation?

I'm also planning on ordering a Choate +1 mag extension which to my understanding if you use with the factory follower and not the Choate one, it will actually be a +2.

Thank you,
Brandon

Welcome aboard! Don't forget to go by the welcome area! I shoot left handed too.

Ammo, I use standard Remington 00 Buck and Winchester X slugs.

Storing shotgun, As stated above, it's going to be personal preference. I store mine empty chamber with the hammer down.

LOP, I have the Speed Feed stock and found it too long also. I went the cheap route. I took off the butt pad, measured one inch all the way around and hacked it off. I reshaped the butt pad and put it back on. It feels much better now. I'm actually thinking of taking another half inch off. You will lose one round each of the Speed Feeds too. You can also reuse the nut inserts that hold the butt pad on. I removed them by putting the screw back in most of the way and pulling it out with a pair of pliers. Using the butt pad I marked and drilled new holes, put the nut inserts back in and mounted the butt pad. I also found that if you wrap the edges of the butt pad with electrical tape, it helps prevent it from snagging your clothes.

One other thing, since your left handed. If you want to get a side saddle, consider a Velcro type. Easy to take on and off and they seem to usually use elastic to hold the shells in. You can lift up the two closest to the trigger guard and they will be out of the way. I made mine using ESTACC 7 rd shot shell cards and industrial Velcro from Walmart.

007.jpg

IMG_0583.jpg

Brandon, again youre welcome!

Kodiak, great pics and good ideas man!

I too have a 1911 which likes to be well covered with oil. The Mossberg 590A1 is a different beast all together. I once oiled my 1911 the way I do my 590A1. It wouldnt cycle at all.

I oil lightly EVERYTHING. In small parts, I use the CLP to break loose stuff and let dry, and then RemOil and let dry, then a couple drops of oil. Everything else that was lightly oiled I wipe down with my hands and remove and excess. I break it all the way down to get to everything, but the gun runs almost dry.

All that said, I've been through an awful lot without really cleaning it all, which is where the bore snake comes in! You can shoot some RemOil down the barrel and into the receiver then run the bore snake through it!

i shoot lefty and have a mesa 6 shell saddle and dont have any issues with fitment for my hand

welcome to MO

I forgot to mention! Federal is supposed to be introducing a 12 ga. FliteControl load with #1 buck!

I'm excited to get my hands on some as soon as I'm able, you may find it useful too! Hopefully more info will be available soon... like after SHOT show?

Howdy brandon, and welcome to the club. Rossignol already said pretty much everything along with kodiak. So as you can see, we love helping everyone out.....

Cheers.

Great looking gun. I like the 18.5 inch barreled A1's. Come to think of it. I like all of them. Welcome to the forums :)

robtech87 said:
i shoot lefty and have a mesa 6 shell saddle and dont have any issues with fitment for my hand

welcome to MO
That's good to know. It might be my fat fingers too. If I don't raise up the last two shells I have trouble keeping my finger off the trigger. I'm used to sliding up my trigger finger up off the trigger and the shells get in the way.

Yea fitment is always diff for everyone...i lay my finger across the top side of the trigger guard so it doesnt come close...good advice with the velco and pushin the shells up tho

Hey guys I recently noticed that the barrel has light rust spots on a couple places right above the foregrip. It appears to be light and superficial but well embedded. Interestingly enough it kind of resembles part of a fingerprint. I tried using a nylon brush with some CLP and then Hoppes 9 as well as some fine bronze wool and 0000 steel wool to no avail. Anyone have any suggestions that won't ruin the parkerized finish?

Thank you

Wow! Never seen one like that, or at least not one that wouldnt come clean with some oil and light brushing...

How long ago did you get it? Well, it was used though when you got it. Sooooo... I dont know the next course of action.

I believe there is a thread somewhere on here, like in the maintenance section, about removing rust from firearms. I'll see if I can find it.

EDIT:

Found it!!!
Removing Rust From Firearms

Be careful rubbing on that park with abrasives like steel wool.It took you a while to notice this rust,just keep it oiled and do not sweat it.If you rub to hard you will end up with a very noticable shiney spot that will look much worse than the barely perceptable rust spot.

Very nice piece of field artillery you have there. I recently bought the 18.5" M590A1, plain stock, bead sight, and I love it. So far, I've put a Limbsaver recoil pad on it. I have a sling for it, once I get a forend sling mount that goes on straight (the one that comes with it is crooked once screwed in), and I have an elastic butt stock shell carrier.

Presently, I have a stock of WinLite Low Recoil 2 3/4 00 buck, Remington Managed Recoil 2 3/4 00 buck, and several boxes of Rio Royal Low Recoil 00 buck. I also have a box of Winchester PDX1 00/slug, and a box of regular Winchester X 00. As soon as I can, I'm going to try some of all the brands or types at the range. Rio Royal Low Recoil is easily found at gun stores around here, but the rest is scarce. I guess many stores don't carry the low recoil variety.

There is one place around here, (and its our feed store) that carries anything low recoil, and its only the Winchester WinLite slugs... which are cool, I bought almost all they had! ;)

I had to order the WinLite from Cabella's. 4 boxes for about $21 delivered. I found Remington Managed Recoil 2 3/4 00 at BassPro yesterday. They had plenty of it, but I couldn't find it on-line at BassPro. I grabbed a couple of boxes of it while I was over there (50 miles away from here). I still plan on ordering up some of the Winchester Ranger Low Recoil 00 in a few weeks. Nobody has that stuff around here at all, no Ranger of any sort (pistol or shotgun). I'm creating a little "SHTF Stash" here, to go along with practice ammo.

Back