• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Just purchased first shotgun - 590A1

The Ranger stuff, (unless you find it at a gun show) will have to be ordered online. Its not a rule necessarily as much as a desire of the manufacturers, to prohibit sales to civies.

The Winlite loads however are identical to the Ranger low recoil. The rifle or pistol ammo I couldnt say for sure. I may be able to figure it out by comparing ballistic info...

Thanks for the replies. Unfortunately I got back to this thread a little too late and a while back decided to go at it lightly with the 0000 steel wool and oil again. Aaaaaaaand I pretty much caused exactly what roadrash warned lol. I now have a slight shiney spot on my barrel and the rust is still there also. God damn it. I am just going to give up and leave it be and one day hopefully refinish the whole barrel.

Speaking of ammo, I have been looking for low recoil 00 buckshot. I cannot buy online because I live within Los Angeles city limits and we have a wonderful ordinance against mail order ammo.

A local store here currently has a deal on Winlite WL1200. 150 rounds plus a MTM plastic ammo can for $99.99 plus tax. I originally was going to get it but I really would rather get the federal flitecontrol stuff or Winchester Ranger instead. Is the WL1200 really the same as the Ranger low recoil 00 buck?

Yup, the WL1200 (WinLite 12 ga. 00 buck) is the same as the Ranger! ;) Not at all a bad price on it, I wish places around here sold it like that... I'd take two! :D

Whats the name of the place, is it a chain or just a local franchise deal?

Rossignol said:
Yup, the WL1200 (WinLite 12 ga. 00 buck) is the same as the Ranger! ;) Not at all a bad price on it, I wish places around here sold it like that... I'd take two! :D

Whats the name of the place, is it a chain or just a local franchise deal?

Sweet...I guess I go pick some up if they still have any in stock. It's a chain place but only local to socal area. It's Turners Outdoorsman. Customer service there is hit or miss. I tried calling them to see if they had any in stock but as usual was put on hold forever and I eventually hung up.

I noticed that the muzzle velocities are slightly different between the two...do you think Winchester just put it down differently on paper for marketing purposes?

I think the difference is 20 FPS? The WinLite is less. Theyre otherwise the same.

So I just got back from a ammo sale hosted by a shooting range that apparently buys direct from Winchester. I picked up a 250rd case of RA1200's for $139.99 + tax. Pretty pleased especially since it seems to be even cheaper than on sgammo.com Can't wait to try this stuff out...

Congrats...we all look forward to your review of this ammo and how it shoots in your new Mossy !!

Brandon04GT said:
Hey all, first post here.

My name is Brandon and I recently just took home my first shotgun per CA's mandatory 10 day wait. I purchased it used off a private seller and it seems to be in pretty good condition less some wear marks here and there. It's the 18.5" 590A1 with the Speedfeed stock. One of the reasons why I chose this over an 870 is because of where the controls are being that I am a lefty.

6704260811_d4151c6cfe_z.jpg

During the 10 day wait I also ordered a 12ga nylon brush, jag, cleaning patches, and some snap caps. I didn't order a cleaning rod because the site didn't seem to have anything good and cheap and I wasn't sure what to go with. Can anyone recommend a good cleaning rod? So far I have my eyes on a Dewey one-piece brass one for about $27 + shipping online.

As soon as I took the gun home I disassembled it for cleaning. I kinda had a hard time getting the trigger assembly back but eventually realized that I had to slide the front part into the grooves in the receiver. I also forgot to engage the safety a couple times when I took the trigger assembly off...I hope I didn't damage anything.

I cleaned everything with CLP and then lubed up some of the sliding parts with Wilson Combat Ultimalube and then I rubbed CLP throughout the exterior before putting it away.

I have some questions that I was wondering if anyone can help me with:

1. Where can I find out exactly where the lube points are and how exactly am I supposed to clean the trigger assembly? I read to just spray it with gun scrubber. I don't have that but it seems to just be an evaporating degreaser. I have some automotive MAF cleaner that is safe on plastics and rubber. Can I use that? Then where would I need to lube afterwards?

2. Am I supposed to store the shotgun cocked or not? I currently have it put away with the hammer down on a snap cap.

3. I'm looking into replacing the stock for a shorter one especially since I'm left handed and i'm not sure if I care for the Speedfeed stock up against my cheek. I know that Hogue makes a 12" LOP stock but i'm afraid it might be a tad too short. Do I have any options for a 13"?

I also want to purchase some low recoil 00 buck and have been doing some reading online. It seems that everyone is up and down about the new Federal flitecontrol wad shells so I have those in mind. I'm also looking at the Winchester Rangers. Which one would be a better all-around option for HD/zombie invasions? I'm new to shotguns but the Federal's seem to be really tight...not sure if thats what I am supposed to want.

Thanks!
Brandon

As far as the low recoils go. I like the fiocchi 9 pellett 00 buck in 2 3/4 low recoil. I buy it at cheaper than dirt for about 5.50 box.

Sent from Droid Incredible on Verizon Wireless

Brandon, thats awesome, youre gonna like those!!!

I have a range trip planned and intend to film some of those!!!

Thanks for the posts guys. Rossignol, I look forward to checking out your vid testing these out. I called up a few local ranges around here and none of them allow you to shoot your own shotgun ammo. Steeler, yeah I used that vid and one other one to help me figure out how to disassemble and reassemble my Mossberg. It was really useful.

Cant use your own shotgun? o_O

Weird. Well, as soon as we can get our schtuff together we'll hit the range! I'll probably have Allison do the shooting, she isnt crazy about filming... girls. Theyre weird too.

They don't allow you to use your own shotgun ammo even if you bring in the same kind as theirs. They told me it's because shotguns do too much damage to their backstop so it's only cost efficient for them if they sell you their ammo.

BTW can any of you guys recommend a basic sling setup that will work well on my 590A1? I've decided that I'm gonna be holding off on a magazine tube extension for now and I will probably call Mossberg to see if I can order the stud that screws onto my magazine cap cause mine is missing one. I'm kinda confused on how slings are supposed to be mounted. I currently have a stud sticking out of the bottom of my stock. Am I supposed to get like a stud attachment and then buy a sling that attaches to that attachment lol

Hey Brandon!

For basic, I dont think you can beat the BlackHawk Storm. I like Specter Gear and Gear Sector too. I believe all three are made in the US, I know the last two are for sure.

For sling swivels, I've ordered in the past from Midway USA the K&N parkerized 1 1/4" swivels. Now with the Specter Gear, you can order a set up specific to the 590/590A1 which includes a mounting plate for the end of the magazine tube.

We have more info the sling section;
Slings on Mossberg Owners

Maybe check that out and see if it helps with some ideas! ;)

Cool thanks. The Specter Gear 2 point tactical sling looks good but I'm guessing the front sling plate cannot be mounted for left handed use because of that spring loaded metal thing that "clicks" with the bevels of the magazine tube cap when you screw it down.

I kinda had something more like this in mind:

DSC_2766_8735.jpg

Just a basic shoulder carrying sling

Brandon, I honestly cant remember off hand if the plate is reversible. I believe it has holes all the way through...

NOW THAT^^^ ... I need one of those! I can do the gun, but man its the finish on the furniture I cant do!!!

Anyhow, its a cotton GI websling, maybe 1 1/4". I say check out Sportsmans Guide;
Slings on Sportsmans Guide

Right now they have 2 nylon slings for $14, or a repro M1 garand styled cotton web sling for $23 I think...

Back