• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Last Time You Fired A Shot

Well, its exactly 24hrs since my cataract surgery, and I've just opened the cabinet to look through my scopes.... and I'm almost in tears about how clear they look..!! I was especially concerned about the ACOG, which doesn't have any focusing on it... but the chevron is clear and i can even read the BDC numbers on the reticule. The new lens looks like its massivly improved my astigmatism too, I tried some red-dots, and they are now just a dot, not a fuzzy star. Even the iron/peep sights on my underlevers and AK are clearer.!! To say I'm overjoyed is an understatement..!!

1f929.png

That`s awesome news! :thumbsup:

A few days ago. I got to try out my new to me Remington 550-1. Picked it up a couple weeks ago. This was the first time I got to take it to the range. Didn't go so good. Had many fail to load. But I don't mind so much. I already got it disassembled and waiting for parts. I like messing around with these old guns. Gives me something to do.

A few days ago. I got to try out my new to me Remington 550-1. Picked it up a couple weeks ago. This was the first time I got to take it to the range. Didn't go so good. Had many fail to load. But I don't mind so much. I already got it disassembled and waiting for parts. I like messing around with these old guns. Gives me something to do.
Well, Turns out the 550-1 is not an easy gun to work on. Fail to load was not the only problem. Anybody that knows the 550-1 understands the problems you can have with the sear spring case . Take that and then add some idiot "working" on the gun equals missing and incorrectly installed parts. To make a long story short. Two months and a $100 later a fine old Remington rifle is shooting again. 20200903_194320_resized.jpg

So Elbert, elaborate on your backstop and shooting distance. I'm liking your indoor range... :)

PS: that'll buff out... :D (ie the "new" target)

Backstop is an old aircraft engine pallet and some bits and pieces that could use some freshening up. Seeing that it`s limited distance I`ll probably only shoot the steel with birdshot and the occasional load of buckshot, pistol rounds and slugs I continue to sink into some wood. Rafters are marked with distances and I get off the longest shot from 28ft.

A little perspective...

Here I`m standing at about 22` ft

103_0435 (2).JPG

Here I`m standing at about 28ft...

20201126_090944_HDR (2).jpg

Last edited:
Backstop is an old aircraft engine pallet and some bits and pieces that could use some freshening up. Seeing that it`s limited distance I`ll probably only shoot the steel with birdshot and the occasional load of buckshot, pistol rounds and slugs I continue to sink into some wood. Rafters are marked with distances and I get off the longest shot from 28ft.

A little perspective...

Here I`m standing at about 22` ft

View attachment 24128

Here I`m standing at about 28ft...

View attachment 24129
I mostly shoot at 15’, but can do 18 and 21 if the mood strikes. ( it doesn’t,lol) and to prepare for confrontation stress, the target hangs under my wife’s Christmas decorations.lol. Here’s 18’ of tunnel vision.. 95281094-D878-4C07-9527-FA47BC566EEE.jpeg

I mostly shoot at 15’, but can do 18 and 21 if the mood strikes. ( it doesn’t,lol) and to prepare for confrontation stress, the target hangs under my wife’s Christmas decorations.lol. Here’s 18’ of tunnel vision.. View attachment 24153

Necessity is the mother of invention...
Nice set up!

I got out the little snake charmer for some fun...

103_0454 (2).JPG

103_0443 (2).JPG

103_0459 (2).JPG

That little slug flattened out to about the size of dime when smacked that ice from about 18ft...

Awesome. My first shotgun was a Homer Koon snake charmer 410, back in the mid 70s. Had the cool thumb hole stock with the extra shells in the butt. I never shot anything through it but slugs and #4 buck magnums. A lot of fun. Always wanted one of the presentation grade ones with the full engraving and black walnut stock, but alas, 2k for a $99 gun was and still is, beyond me..lol

Just out of curiosity, have you ever taken shots at old cast iron skillets from the goodwill,etc? Not the cheap modern ones, but the ones our moms made pancakes in? I know cast iron is softer than steel, so I was thinking it would absorb some lead, cheap, as opposed to the proper ar500 ringy dingy things..

Just out of curiosity, have you ever taken shots at old cast iron skillets from the goodwill,etc? Not the cheap modern ones, but the ones our moms made pancakes in? I know cast iron is softer than steel, so I was thinking it would absorb some lead, cheap, as opposed to the proper ar500 ringy dingy things..

I would be afraid cast iron would break apart...
I`ve got less than 50$ in that steel and cable hanger and so far it`s holding up nicely.

...bounce a 12ga slug off of some steel from about 26ft or so...

I'm going to comfort myself thinking there are no live circuits inside that panel... :eek: :D

How about if you bent a couple pieces of steel gas tubing and ran the cable through it where it is hanging the plate? To avoid the cable getting chewed by lead splatter?

Back