• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Lead wipes for surface rust?

KRP7894

.22LR
Hey guys, as I predicted the replacement barrel Mossberg sent me for my 590A1 (51668 model) is losing more of its glue (or whatever is used to hold the sights) on the barrel. My first barrel when I bought the gun brand spanking new had some surface rust on the front end near the action. I called and complained and got them to send a new barrel but it had some glue missing on the sights (ghost ring sights) and I told them that which they claimed was "there on purpose to release gas from the barrel." Anyway, its been two years and usually after trips to the range followed by cleaning that glue continued to chip away and wear off. I called Mossberg, had them send me a new barrel and this one looks perfect on the outside but it seems there is a tad bit of surface rust on the inside of the barrel close to where the action would be. I don't feel like going through this all over again, so I'd like to scrub it out. I have these really good lead wipes from Kleenbore, they're cut into small patches and their usually really good at removing whatever gunk you got in your barrel but I was wondering if you guys thought it would be safe to use inside of the 590A1 barrel considering the outside has a parkerized finish? If not, or if I have zero luck taking out that small bit of surface rust what would you all recommend would do the job?

Thanks!

My 590a1 had rust on inside the barrel as well. But after spray lube on it and letting it sit for a few days it just rubbed off

I don't have any spray lube but I do have Safariland CLP. How about that?

And do you guys think lead wipes are safe?

Clp will work. It's only surface rust.

Things made out of metal have a tendency to rust. Nature of the beast. It was probably rust free when it was put in the box but due to the fact Mossberg can't control how the store keeps their product or let alone the area it's kept in when it's stored, it will do what is natural for steel to do....rust.
Sure they can load it up with goop but then there's the people who will complain it's loaded with goop. That's pitiful....

Yeah this rifle is perfect otherwise. I'll spray some CLP on it this weekend and let it sit a while then scrub it out and see what happens. I got a lot of it out using my finger and a patch of lead away so that helped. I'll let you know how
It goes.

Like I said, this is now the 3rd barrel with an issue. Definitely reduced the amount of rust and now that I just got home from work I soaked the inside of the barrel in CLP. I'll let it sit till tomorrow or so and then get back to scrubbing it out. I'd much rather just get it out since its not that much and the rest of the barrel is perfect including the sights this time than to have them do it all over again. Lets see how this goes...

Here it is. It looked worse but scrubbing it with lead away wipes using my finger got it out a solid amount, and this is what I was left with. I sprayed CLP down the pipe and left it for over 24 hours and I sent a bronze brush and a tornado brush down and it didn't do much else to the rust spots. Hmmm, what do you guys think I should try next? At least my other barrel is much cleaner. I shot some Remington brite bore in it and I'm letting it sit over night.

Last edited:
Well...it's not bad really. But if you can use a steel brush instead of a brass one you might have better results...

I may have to go out and buy a steel brush, I have the brass and tornado brushes. I'll go to Dicks and grab one. What do you recommend I spray down the pipe?

Try some of the clp first..if not, good ol wd40 should work....

Unsuccessful. I tried wd40 and the frog lube CLP. I used my stainless steel tornado brush (which they say is bad for your shotgun barrel) and I've even used very very fine sandpaper and couldn't get it out much more than I already have. I guess it's kind of stained. What do you guys think, should I just leave it or make them send another one? It feels sort of useless at this point hobestly. Maybe a few hundred rounds of slugs through it coupled with more shooting will help?

Anyway, I thjnk I'm going to at least keep it for how and since I have to call for a return label for my old barrel I'll make them aware that this has rust inside so that way if it worsens in the future I can always get a new one. What do you think?

Last edited:
Back